iPhone Eclipse 4X space strategy (by Big Daddy's Creations)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDaddysCreations, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Apple devices can tend to have stability/performance issues depending on what you're doing with them, although this is likely more a software problem than hardware. I know when I go back to my 4th-gen iPod Touch that literally has several hundred apps installed on it, I'm confronted with a distinctly sluggish experience, whereas the same device is vastly more responsive when it has fewer apps present.

Very low available storage space having an effect on device performance is also a common issue, and the recommendation of rebooting the device after installing new apps did actually make quite a difference on the Touch (not so much on a 4th-gen iPad).

2. Plynx

Plynx Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    I feel bad chump blocking the AI's plasma missile fleets while taking everything where they aren't with a few interceptors. The AI likes to concentrate on big ships with big missile loadouts, meaning they can't project force. Quantum Grid (and the corresponding ability to outwait their maneuvers in a turn) seems amazing, I don't know why the AI falls over itself to grab plasma missile on turn 2 and then invests sooo much influence to upgrade and build a pair of dreadnoughts with 1 hp each? That's like investing your whole economy in battleships in World War II.

3. Dracil

Dracil Member

Apr 12, 2012
    Yeah glass cannon dreadnoughts don't quite make sense in general. Maybe 2 missiles and other stuff makes sense, but I saw the AI put like 4 missiles on a dreadnought and I just go huh. It'll certainly obliterate standard fleets, but a plasma missile starbase/interceptor will wreck it for much cheaper.

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I think it's more like Eclipse giving you a silent nudge...

Also I have 2GB available and have the stuttery zooming in/out. I think the game just needs an optimization tweek for the iPad 2

5. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    It's not really a stutter as much as it's a quick change to new assests. When you're zoomed in at a "normal" level you can see the type of ships on each sector. When you zoom out it switches to numbers and pulls the entire game board in that smaller tiles size.

There also seems to be a conflict when you don't zoom out fast enough. A two finger tap and hold loads the board info so as you place your fingers on the screen to pinch out you might trigger the info, scrolling, and zooming all at once.

I'd say to just add buttons to switch but where could you possibly add more buttons!? The UI is so fantastic that I think the extra buttons would mar a fantastic package.

6. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Waiting for optimization patch...

It is ok, I can wait. Currently playing Star Command with Talisman Prologue HD, Alphadia 2 and Silver Nornir half played... :)

7. TheOctagonTheory

TheOctagonTheory Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    semi-retired
    Tokyo, Japan
    Trying to recover from potential bankruptcy:

How is it that my influence payment is -17 even after I got rid of influence in all my previous sectors? (I am the blue player)

Attached Files:

8. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Still new to the game but didn't you take a whole load of actions this round? From what I understand money pays to maintain influence and actions, right?

9. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    You gave up influence on planets that were making money to pay your upkeep which increases your debt.

10. BigDaddysCreations

BigDaddysCreations Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    Man, that's one crazy turn you've got there :) 7 Influence actions on a single round? Why would you ever do that? :)

11. TheOctagonTheory

Sep 7, 2011
    semi-retired
    Tokyo, Japan
    I don't understand the meaning of 'round'. According to the manual a round is made up of four stages. Action, combat, upkeep, cleanup. But it seems like me and all the other players may have MANY action and/or combat phases in one round. The way the manual explains it I'd think I and each of the other players would have 1 action per round, but that is not the case when playing through the tutorial.

12. TheOctagonTheory

Sep 7, 2011
    semi-retired
    Tokyo, Japan
    Because I don't know what I'm doing. Also I can't tell when a round will end.

13. Plynx

Plynx Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
  14. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    A round ends when all players pass taking actions

then combat happens

pay upkeep

then cleaning up the board (this is a step from the physical board game, the digital version does it automatically)

---

You can take all the actions you like as long as you can afford it... and in some cases you go further which bankrupts you and forces you to give up sectors to bring your cost of upkeep down.

15. TheOctagonTheory

Sep 7, 2011
    semi-retired
    Tokyo, Japan
    Also something that makes no sense to me is when the other payers are finished the message at the bottom on the screens is always 'such and such has PASSED', even after it is plain to see that they took some actions and did not PASS. I though that when you PASS it means that you choose NOT to take an action in your turn. Should't the proper message for the other players be 'such snd such has FINISHED his turn', in the case where that player has indeed did an action?

16. Plynx

Plynx Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    I just discovered the two-finger drag in this game! It results in coloring each hex by ownership, revealing board boundaries and potential exploration hexes, and dims incomplete wormholes so that the complete ones stand out more.

Why can't we have a view like this all the time? Better yet, tint the hexes gently (low opacity) in each owner's color, make the hex "walls" on non-wormholed sides thicker (still not visually distinct enough imo), and make the orbital line around planets dimmer and gray (right now the bright blue overwhelms the gorgeous planet graphics). Right now I have trouble telling at a glance the difference between colonized advanced, uncolonized advanced, and uncolonized normal. Another possible touch would be coloring the colonized circles in the color of the owner once colonized (I'd leave the surrounding circles dim but these too could take on the color of the owner).

Being able to take in information at a glance makes all the difference in this game!

17. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Pass means you are passing control to the next player in the turn order. The actions, or lack thereof, before you pass doesn't change that. However, most people do think it means a forfeit of a turn which is understandable. Since most board games have a strict turn structure you can tell when an opponent is done, when they do nothing they must give an audible cue to let everyone know they aren't just taking a while to think.

You do your one action and you can no longer do anything else so you pass control to the next player so they can do their one action. Before you pass you might even undo your move as you contemplate the strategies.

If you take no actions and Pass your turn you are STILL able to take actions in Eclipse, if any opponent takes an action then when it comes back to your tuen you can do a reactionary action (upgrade, build, move).

All players must take no actions and pass the turn order along. Once it makes a full circle it's clear no one can do anything else so combat starts.

I guess it could be Pass play to xxx? but that would be a lot to cram into the slider. And I can assure you no one wants to "slide to forfeit turn" ;)

18. 4ce

4ce Member

May 14, 2012
    BDC,

No iPad yet :( any chance of a universal build? Would LOVE to play :)

19. TheOctagonTheory

Sep 7, 2011
    semi-retired
    Tokyo, Japan
    "when all players pass". How can I tell that all players have passes besides the game telling me a new round has started. And isn't it conceivable that a player never passes, thus a new round never occurring?

And 4ce...get an iPad. You'd need a microscope to play it on an iPhone.

20. TheOctagonTheory

Sep 7, 2011
    semi-retired
    Tokyo, Japan
    I'm trying to upgrade my Dreadnought with a fusion drive but the game won't let me do it. I wish it'd give me a hint as to why! This game isn't a godly an everyone is claiming. There is lots of room for improvement.