Universal Echoes of Aeons (by Alchimia Studios & Crescent Moon Games) [Out April 30!]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by AlchimiaStudios, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenken11

kenken11 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Understand that the funding is unsuccessful. We will support and pay for the game once it is out! Hope u guys don't give up.

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    How is the progress on Echoes of Aeons?

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the bump.

4. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Wow, this looks amazing! Thanks for the bumps, I had no clue about this game so color me interested now that I am aware of it!

5. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Ill bump up some other old ones that look great

6. AlchimiaStudios

AlchimiaStudios Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Game Studio
    Wow, didn't even see the bump. Better a late response than never I suppose. We have been quiet because we are very busy working on EoA! I don't want to reveal too much yet, but a lot of changes and hard work have been going into this game and were excited as ever to bring it to everyone.

One of things I can talk about are the controls. We really wanted a lot of customizability, so for the joystick we've implemented two controls styles (changed via options). The first is a snap to joystick (similar to ff3, ff4, etc but constrained to the left hand side of the screen). The other is no joystick at all, you just touch on left hand side and move your thumb around to move ( similar to mage gauntlet). We've also got a ton of options for action button sets and opacity settings.

In addition we have hired a portrait artist and have some really great portraits and character designs in the works as well as revamped sprites!

We'll release some more (bigger and better) info soonish. :)

7. Tyra

Tyra Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Illustration & Graphic Designs
    Germany
    Looking forward! :D

8. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Thank you for the update; keep us informed.

9. D4rgolf

D4rgolf Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2011
    You wouldn't happen to be huge 'Fullmetal Alchemist' fans, would you ;)

Anyway, seems rather interesting and the AppStore is in need of good new 2D adventures.

10. AlchimiaStudios

Jul 15, 2012
    Game Studio
    #30 AlchimiaStudios, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Characters!

FMA is pretty damn awesome, haha!

On another note, i am going to talk about our Characters. About 3 months ago we decided we wanted to hire a character artist to do the the portraits for the game. We decided we wanted to go for an anime look to make the game more whimsical during dialogue.

We ended up hiring Eachen Chen for the job. She is an amazing painter and comes from an animation background, which really shows in the characters emotions!

We really love how the anime styled portraits look against the hand painted backgrounds. In turn, because we ended up switching styles for the characters we are going to be redoing the sprites to fit the new style.

Unfortunately, Eachen was hired full time by another Studio so she wont be able to animate for us, but alas we have an entire cast of portraits that she has left us with!

Here we are showing off a few of Eldric's and Rin's emotions and a mock up of what it will look like in game. Albeit we are missing sprites in the mock up, but you can use your imagination for the time being haha!

We are really excited about how everything is coming together and hope to release some alpha footage within the next couple months.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Those are beautifully painted. I'm curious about gameplay style and plot more than cosmetics; any teaser information related to those? Good luck finding another animator.

12. AlchimiaStudios

Jul 15, 2012
    Game Studio
    Gameplay and Story

While the combat mechanics are still heavily in development I'll talk a bit about them. The gameplay follows along the lines of most action RPGs but where it differs is the progression. Most action RPGs start off great with backstory and basic control tutorials, but within 5 minutes you’re tasked with killing 8 monsters and then collecting 5 items for no reason. Once you turn those in its rinse, wash, and repeat… for the rest of the game. EoA follows a progression similar to a Final Fantasy instead of a quest based system, but with a lot less grinding. In that same sense you can also do side quests, fishing, crafting and other minigames. So while it's mostly linear, it does allow for the freedom to stray from the main story a bit.

Our combat system is a bit different than the standard systems of 3-5 skill buttons and an attack seen in most ARPGS. There are a few ways it differs, the first is our On the Fly Character switching system (See: http://www.giantbomb.com/on-the-fly-character-switching/92-4385/ ). The way we are using this is by allowing you to switch between the two main characters at any time during a fight, and this leads me to the second part of this. When you start a combo on one character, it continues when you switch. As we’ve said before you can also cast spells in a certain order to unlock a higher spell such as meteor. This is now done between characters. Use Earth on Eldric, and then fire on Rin and you gain the option to use meteor. The switching also plays on Eldric being a melee attacking class and Rin using Ranged Bows. This will allow you to do something like do a melee snare/knockback with Eldric, then switch out Rin and kite. The final thing we’ve begun to implement is a system nicknamed “combo unleashing”. Combo unleashing will let you build up combo points, which are gained every time you attack. After a certain amount of hits are registered you can then unleash the combo, resetting the counter and causing an ability to trigger. As you can imagine this sort of system requires longer battles in general then most RPG’s, and they are much less mindless.

Since we are using placeholders for pretty much all of the characters and animations, the actual combat system is still evolving as we continue to play test our early builds and we’ll try to keep you up to date on this. Let me know if you have any questions!

As for the story, its difficult to summarize an RPG story without giving away things that you want to experience as a player first hand. Basically we are reduced to the synopsis on the back of a novel.

“EoA will follow Eldric a young man that was orphaned in his youth unknown to him that he is one of the Descended, and Rin the daughter Heir to the throne of Lusec, a peaceful nation on the brink of war due to lies and treachery with the nation known as Caldari. As they get thrown into the chaos that is brewing in Terra, their fates eventually cross and they must overcome all obstacles as they learn who is really pulling the strings in their world, and that the fate of not only Terra, but of an unknown world lost to the ages is riding on their shoulders.”

Trust us, that we have pages upon pages of backstory and world building that went into the development of the game. We are truly writing this as a good fantasy novel would play out. We hope that you will find the dialogue immersive, engaging and at times hilarious. If you have any specific questions about the plot, please feel free to ask, and we will try our best to answer it!

Thanks everyone for your interest in this project thus far!

13. Kiven

Kiven Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Male
    Frustrated Wrestler and Lifelong Gamer
    Philippines
    what i saw and read are awesome, good luck guys!

14. AlchimiaStudios

Jul 15, 2012
    Game Studio
    #34 AlchimiaStudios, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    How’s it going TA! We are really excited about this update today! We have a couple of new things to announce. The first is that we are now going to be published by Forest Moon Games! We also have some Gameplay footage to show you guys: Keep in mind this is still early alpha!

15. AlchimiaStudios

Jul 15, 2012
    Game Studio
    Hey All,

Been a long long time, but just wanted to jump in and say that we have been working on EoA non stop for the last 7 years or so and are finally getting to a point where we are ready to show stuff again.

Just a quick recap:

Echoes of Aeons is a hand painted, story driven 2D action RPG coming to iOS first, with a MacOS and Android release sometime after. It will be released in 2019.

Follow our Twitter https://twitter.com/AlchimiaStudios or our Instagram @AlchimiaStudios for the most up to date info.

For the time being here are a few clips.

Battle clip

Intro cutscene clip

16. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    seems a good action rpg, i'll be waiting for it... in the meantime i'm following you on twitter and insta.

17. J05H

J05H Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2017
    First dev update since 2013? Pretty sure most if not all of us thought this game was dead

18. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I am happy to be mistaken on this one. Seems a nice enough game!

19. AlchimiaStudios

Jul 15, 2012
    Game Studio
    Awesome! Thank you! It should be pretty awesome, a lot of time and thought has gone into this project.

Thanks! We have tried our best to keep up with posting in various social media throughout the years but decided it was best to focus on development of the game for awhile until we got close enough!

20. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA