eBay app on the fritz

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Cousin Dirk, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Cousin Dirk

Cousin Dirk Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Hey all

Is any one else having trouble with the eBay app? Whenever I try to use it, I get the following error message:

[​IMG]

I'm getting this on both my iPhone 3G connecting via the mobile network, and on my old original iPhone using my home WiFi connection. It did stop briefly for a short while, but has started it up again.

Any ideas?

2. akame

akame Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    u exceed data usage on your 3g plan?

thats what the error message says.:p

3. Cousin Dirk

Cousin Dirk Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Is there a way I can show the App my O2 bill and show it I'm nowhere near my fair usage limit? Anyway, it's happening too on my old iPhone that's connected to my WiFi network too, so obviously the app is confused somewhere.

4. Manta Research

Manta Research Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    The "call" they're referring to sounds like the API call, not phone call.

Whatever interface that this app is using to connect to EBay probably has some limit, eg. number of times it can be called per minute or per day or whatever. There are probably enough users using that app now that it is exceeding the developers limit (usually these types of API's have a key that is assigned per developer).

My guess is that at some point it resets and you're able to use it again until the app has made enough calls to that interface until it blocks again. You should email the developer and complain.

EDIT: Yeah it's the webservices call that is being exceeded. See here:

http://developer.ebay.com/devzone/xml/docs/Reference/ebay/GetApiAccessRules.html