iPad Earth Day - Chillingo Action Arcade Game

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by LordCrom, Feb 25, 2009.

1. LordCrom

LordCrom Well-Known Member

2. nuggetsman28

nuggetsman28 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    charlotte
    wow another chillingo app, they have released about 10 this week.

3. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Lol, i know i've heard of a couple other ones not including this and iDracula.

Are their other games any good ?

4. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    Yep, Dungeon & Hero is a really good RPG. I am really enjoying it so far.

BTW, I can't find this earth day game in the itunes store. That's the title right? Earth Day? I don't see it under the developer's name even.

5. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    just click the link

6. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    This is a port of a game from eSoft Interactive. I'll post some thoughts on the iPhone version here in a bit (it just got done syncing), but the Pocket PC version is probably my favorite eSoft game. As far as other Chillingo published iPhone games, Sneezies is awesome, The Quest rocks, Totem is pretty decent, a lot of people speak highly of Orions (though I haven't gotten into the iPhone version yet), Vector Tanks is interesting, and as far as games I've tried on other platforms but haven't had the chance on iPhone yet, Plumber Pete, Pocket Mini Golf 2 and Krypton Egg are all good games.

7. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    The link doesn't work for me on IE. I will check it out when I'm on firefox

8. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    My initial impression is that I'm not sure I like it quite as well as the Pocket PC version. The main reason for that, I think, is the controls. You can either play with tilt control or by using the left and right halves of the screen to rotate the earth. The tilt control as too imprecise in my opinion, especially when it came to trying to hit the power ups. However, for as much as I've been able to get used to the controls so far, it is pretty fun. It definitely gets more intense as you progress, even potentially to iDracula levels if you last long enough. If I recall correctly I made it somewhere between 15 to 20 minutes on the Pocket PC version one time. The graphics are decent, but what's really cool is that as time passes your earth changes from an organic wonderland to a cool techno looking planet. Other than the control issue, I think my biggest gripe is something that carries over from the Pocket PC version, and that's the fact that the power ups are very difficult to hit. Overall, though, you're not going to go wrong with this one for 99 cents.

9. zodttd

zodttd Active Member

Jun 1, 2008
    I really liked Earth Day on the PocketPC, and I enjoyed porting it to the PalmOS. Seeing it on the iPhone is great! I hope the team porting eSoft's games to the iPhone keep the quality high.

Nice to see you here PointOfLight! I remember you from the eSoft forums. :)

10. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Will be keeping this one on my watch list. Looks solid, but I'm worried about the controls.

11. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    It will be interesting to see what others think. I could be grossly inflating the control issues.

@zodttd: it's good to see you here too. Familiar screen names are always cool! The group doing the conversions is a good bunch, so I'm sure the quality will remain high. Totem was quite well done.

12. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Is this like Blue Defense? In this case I'll pass. :cool:

13. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I've not played Blue Defense, but basically you actually control the earth, which has between 1 to 4 cannons on it (depending on upgrades). You rotate the earth clockwise and counterclockwise trying to shoot everything that's coming at it. The coolest part of the game is the power up system. You start out with three weapons points, and as the game progresses you can get more. There are five aspects of your armory that can be upgraded - rotation, shields, firepower, clones (number of cannons) and rapid fire - and each aspect has 3 upgrade levels. What's neat is that you can add and remove points from any aspect at any time, so if some combination of armaments isn't working for you, try another. There's only one other mobile game I've played with a power up system like that, and it certainly makes for a dynamic playing experience.

14. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    great last thing we need is a enviromental <<spelling?? freak game -.- or at least a title name.

^^^^^^no offence just my 2 cents

15. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    #15 PointOfLight, Feb 25, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
    I'm not offended, because it's not my game, but it's still a stupid comment. You control the earth and it's your day to save it from the alien invaders, hence Earth Day. Actually, I don't know why they call it Earth Day, but I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with environmental awareness. And for crying out loud, if you KNOW you spelled a word wrong, look it up in the dictionary. There are plenty of them online.

[Edit]

By the way, posting comments like this in a thread is not good promotion for someone who wants to write reviews. If that's the best analysis you can come up with for a game (which I'm assuming you haven't even tried), I'd really have no desire to read any of your actual reviews.

16. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Thx for clearing that up, this sounds 100 times better than Blue Defense, I might give it a try. :)

17. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    If you decide to check it out, please post your thoughts back here. I've worked with the eSoft Interactive team for a few years now beta testing (though I didn't actually beta this particular game on the iPhone), and I'm always curious to see what others think of their releases.

18. tosui

tosui Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    +1 to all your points, PointOfLight - A game about defending the Earth is much better with a name like "Earth Day" than say, "Independence Day"!

Oh, and yourofl10 - you spelled "feel" wrong on your homepage. Seriously? You really do need to address these little things if you want to be viewed as a professional!

Anyway, I'm considering buying this - I'll post my impressions if I do (but I should really work more first!)