Early iPad submission

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Amygdala, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Amygdala

Amygdala Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Hi there!

So we all got the news from Apple I presume. Deadline for grand-opening submissions of iPad is nearing. Have you submitted your apps for this...?

I am working insanely hard to port LabyMania, and have stumbled across a question...

If I do a "universal app" for both iPhone and iPad, and submit this... What will happen to the version that is out now...? I would have to submit it as an update, which is not really desireable, if there are any iPad related problems.

How would I go about submitting a universal app with my old LabyMania app ID, that is not supposed to be aired before the iPad gets out, and I know that everything is in order...?

Thanks!

- A

2. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Do you think you'll be able to meet the march 27th deadline? Im trying to get my own app ready by that date but now I'm doubting Ill be able to meet that deadline.

3. Amygdala

Nov 25, 2009
    It's really hard to say... I have pretty much the graphics in place, and all components seem to be displaced correctly. There are still some minor bugs here and there, but I think I can make ends meet. And it is going to be ever so pretty!

I gotta admit, I was a bit surprised about the short notice! We have known for some time that it was coming, but stil...

- A

4. bomber

bomber Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Theoretically Apple could approve the iPad-compatible update when the app is also working fine for existing devices. Right now no one has been approved so it's possible that Apple will delay those approvals until April 3. This is more speculation though.

5. Amygdala

Nov 25, 2009
    Right, that's what worries me too. I think I am going to go with a new app. Too bad, but maybe I can turn it into an advantage somehow...

Happy hacking, and godspeed to those who try to make the deadline :)

- A

6. DrummerB

DrummerB Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    If you submit an app, it still won't be authorized for the AppStore. They just test if it's running ok on a real device and send you a mail. In that mail it says:
    "You will receive additional information about submitting your app for final review before iPad ships.
    Since applications cannot be posted to the App Store that are compiled using a beta SDK, your submission will appear in the Manage My Applications section of iTunes Connect as 'Ready for Sale' but will not be visible on the App Store.
    We will notify you when iPhone SDK 3.2 GM Seed is available. At that time, you will need to compile your code using this GM Seed and upload your new binary for final review."

No "This mail is confidential" warning, so I guess it's okay posting this here.

7. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Very interesting information there. So, if you submit the app meant for the ipad it cannot be included in the appstore since it was compiled with a beta version of the sdk. So it has to be resend again for approval. So what's the point of submitting an app now? Will it still be one of the "original" apps available for the ipad?

8. Amygdala

Nov 25, 2009
    Terrific! Thanks... Of course, any update, new app or whatever - they detect if it was compiled with the beta, and then do not air it. That makes perfect sense. I am still wondering whether or not it will be possible to put other non-beta-compiled updates out for the same app.

Thanks so far!!

- A

9. DrummerB

DrummerB Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    Hmm.. good question. I think in their first mail it said something like "Submit your app until 27th to make it available at launch". On the other side, they don't approve anything yet, they just run it on a device and let you know if it's running fine. Maybe there will be a new deadline for the final review, maybe not. Maybe you can only submit for final review if you submitted it once before 27th already, maybe not... Who knows... But since the binary you submit now isn't the one that will be on the store, I think one might be able to do some final changes before submitting it again.

No idea about universal apps, sorry. We created a completely new one. Maybe you could ask in the official dev forums.

10. Astraware

Astraware Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Games Studio
    UK
    The email said that only apps submitted in time for the 27th 'initial review' would be considered to go into the iPad store category for launch of the device, so if you don't submit by Saturday, there's no chance you'd be in for the big launch.

Here's the precise sentence:
    "Only apps submitted for the initial review will be considered for the grand opening of the iPad App Store."

11. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

We'll be uploading ours tomorrow. I'm pretty excited for it!

12. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    All Ze Best for Da Devs. who are trying to make it for the Grand launch :)

Congratulations in Advance for PpL who will make it Successfully :cool:

13. Amygdala

Nov 25, 2009
    Yep me too... I shipped it yesterday, and it appears to be allright. I was a bit taken abak about the two icon sizes needed - so in the eleventh hour I had to deal with that. But I made it.

So yeah, to sum up about my initial question: I ended up doing a new app, suffixed with "+". So hopefully, you'll be seing LabyMania+ on you iPad, in supersmooth hi-res. It looks brilliant, and even though I have been mad about the deadline, it has been a fun process.

Cheers!

- A