Earbuds Drain Power

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by The Bat Outta Hell, Sep 22, 2010.

1. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    ... When I'm not even listening to a song.

I just realized this today. Sometimes I'll keep my iPod in my pocket without earbuds plugged in because I couldn't find them or some other reason.

Recently I started plugging them in again, and after 7 or so hours of not using my iPod, I hit the sleep button to play something, and nothing would happen.

The power was completely drained. I had to to charge it for a while before I could do anything. At first I thought it short circuited or something, but I realized the pattern of plugging in earbuds causing the battery to drain itself, even when no music was playing.

Does this happen to anyone else? How is this even happening?

2. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    It could be your wifi working really hard to try to keep you connected to something.

Seems weird. Maybe you should test this again and note the battery level before and after a few hours with the earbuds in and a few hours without it in.

3. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    bat did you jail break your 2nd gen and running multiple tasks? cause new games now that have ios4 multi tasking support they keep running in the background when you hit the home button, and you have to manually double click the home button and end the programs running....the dead battery thing happened to me many times on my 2nd gen touch because i was multi tasking and didnt realize it!

4. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    how intrstning "The Bat Outta Hell"

5. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Put it on airplane mode. Helps so much.

6. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Seriously, my 3rd gen 32gb loses battery so much quicker now with iOS 4. I even had it exchanged about a month ago. Still the same crap. I can literally see the battery draining when I have notifications turned on. :mad:

I don't really use headphones, but now I'm curious and will probably try and see what happens. You never know... lol

7. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    i hate notifications i always turn that off, cause then its always searching the network for notifications, and you got like 160 games on there all doing it its gonna kill your battery pretty quick, just like leaving facebook app or something running....

8. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Not only does my battery drain at a ridiculous speed, but it's also just acting extremely weird. It'll drain down to < 20%, then I'll put my iPod in sleep mode and turn it back on, only to have it appear either around 5% or in the 40% range.

Nonetheless, I think enabling multitasking/backgrounds was worth it.

9. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    No, I'm not near any wifi when it happens. Not jailbroken either.

It's always at 100% power when I first check it, then at absolute 0 power like ten hours later without using it.

The days I didn't have earbuds plugged in it was at full power the whole day.

10. ArcheAngel

ArcheAngel Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    The reason why you guys have poor battery life & performance is because iOS4 is best used with hardware that not only utilizes the software's full potential but is also specifically optimized for the newest devices.

If I still had anything below an iPhone 4 I would never upgrade it to 4.0 & above.

When's the last time you've seen a 2009 hemi powered V8 go in to a 1986 model auto?

You guys think your not gonna experience these things when it's clear that even iPhone 4 needed optimal performance tweaks & that's the hardware it was designed on.

Buy a new device. Isn't it about time you did anyway?

Afterall it's not that expensive to obtain current hardware, if you work for what you desire it make it even more worth it.

11. ArcheAngel

ArcheAngel Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    #11 ArcheAngel, Sep 22, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
    How long have you had that thing? (2nd gen) it's probably just getting worn out, so maybe having them plugged in is deceiving the device into performing some silent task.

Keep in mind that when you play media & then plug in your buds that the volume automatically changes....there's even a visual notification via volume slider. So that means the device has and runs commands according to that state or change, so it's not far fetched to say that:

Your device has been used to the point of wear that it can no longer determine (even if earbuds are in) wether "in use" is actually "in use" thus draining your battery.

And if thats the case or not your device is malfunctioning...so why not replace it with current hardware?

12. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    When was the last time you had a clean restart of your device, Bat?

Quoting myself, since I've posted this multiple times:

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Makes sense to me. I hate iOS4, I was much happier with 3.X and jailbreak.

14. qasim

qasim Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    USA
    I still have my 1st gen from Dec 07'. Lol. I'm going to get a new Apple device in November. Should I get the iPod Touch 4, iPad, or MacBook?

And anyways, this is pretty interesting. I always keep my earphones out of the iPod when not using them, but I'll see what happens when they're in tomorrow.

15. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    My device is about 1 month old. Got it from Apple store. Apple suggests you upgrade your device. You'd think they would have it optimized. Last time I checked, each device has it's own firmware. You sound like an Apple employee.

16. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    #16 dyscode, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
    did you recalibrate your battery?
    That did it for me.

I have iOS 4 on my 2G iPod and have yet to experience any battery life drop since iOS 2.x with or without earplugs. maybe some but that battery is not getting younger, is it.

I do some gaming in the evening and with earplugs and turn it off and in the morning battery is still the same.

and Archangel is spreading too much hot air.

17. kennethpetro

kennethpetro Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    This has been happening to me too! I'll have like 35% battery left, i'll leave my phone for like an hour and it's D E A D! I've checked and I don't have any other programs running in the background either. I've actually tested the battery drain with and without the headphones plugged in and it's a dramatic difference! BTW - I have a 3gs 3.1.2 Jailbroken.