EA titles not updated for 3.0

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Peter321, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Peter321

Peter321 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Male
    In the EA mobile forums several people are complaining about poor performance and crash problems with NFSU on iPhone OS 3.0

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/247352.page;jsessionid=1F2A40EC7FD244B3858485AA929B8A0B

I just checked iTunes and realized that almost none of the EA games are shown as "(iPhone OS 3.0 Tested)" - only Sims 3 and Mass Effect.

I'm wondering whether EA are working on updates or not. Tiger Woods seems to run OK, but I'm definately also having poor performance in NFSU with a constant 1 sec. lag unless I use my own music, and severe slowdown in framerate in some of the chase games.

What are your experience with EA games on 3.0?

Maybe Craig Law can let us know if updates are in the work?

I don't care about new features (although they are always welcome ;) ) - but 3.0 compatibility is a MUST!

2. daveak

daveak Well-Known Member

Lack of "(iPhone OS 3.0 Tested)" means nothing at all, if the games crash then yes there should be an update, but if an app has no problems then there is no need for it to be updated, and so it won't get that label. One of my updates, submitted before 3.0, when finally approved didn't say it was 3.0 tested (even though it had been tested on betas and the reviewers tested using 3.0). Another update of mine is marked as being 3.0 tested (something I believe I had to state when I uploaded it), both work, both are 3.0 compatible.

3. Peter321

Dec 5, 2008
    Male
    Interesting info - I wonder which programs get the label and which do not, seems confusing and inconsistent on Apple's part.

Anyway, NFSU definately does not run perfectly under 3.0 so it's still a questions what EA plans to do about it - just too bad if Apple's labeling is not consistent, as it makes it harder for consumers to check whether the program they buy are 100% compatible with 3.0

4. Peter321

Dec 5, 2008
    Male
    I just read this post from the Pocket God developers:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=17862

It seems there ARE serious issues with 3.0, quote:

"...The 3.0 firmware works really horribly on old phones, every now and then it just spikes the cpu and slows everything down. I think this is because of extra background threads that 3.0 uses for things like push alerts."

Let's hope 3.1 fixes some of this.

5. dominator246

dominator246 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    There are some issues with 3.0 out there, but with EA, I think it's just that they don't care to update it. They don't have a good reputation as far as updates and new content in their games.

6. Sierra275

Sierra275 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    nil
    Singapore
    Yes, personally I feel that EA takes far less interest in it's community than many other good developers, even major companies. I doubt we can expect any update from them, unless it's in-app content. Pity. I was hoping for multiplayer for NFS.

7. Peter321

Dec 5, 2008
    Male
    I really hope they prove us wrong - I'm OK with them not adding additional features, as I bought the game for what it is - but I want it to run OK, without the current problems.

8. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    Several things I caught in 3.0, turning on/off the ipod is slower, going back to the springboard(homepage of ipod/iphone) takes awhile, wifi connectivity decreased, and.. I think that's it. EA is really being a pain not to update.. Seems as though they think they are giving a bug-free game; as though if you buy a game from a store (not the appstore) aka Walmart, Target, Gamestop, and etc..

9. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    The only EA apps I have are Spore and NFSU. Spore is fine but NFSU always crashes when I launch it. Can't play it anymore

10. Peter321

Dec 5, 2008
    Male
    EA just released an update to Spore Origins that is 3.0 Tested, so I guess there is still hope :D

11. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    The Sims 3 is complete crap at the moment. The game will not run anymore for me. It says that it is iPhone OS 3.0 compatible, but that is a complete lie. I mean I have a iPod touch 2g, but that really shouldn't matter. The fact is that EA is really f*cking up, and this just shows that this big wig developer thinks they are releasing bug-free games, and refuse to update it. Of all EA games I own, Spore is the only one that has seen an update, and that was recently. If this continues, I will no longer purchase games from EA, simply because I know they will not work in the near future upon purchasing them. If though, that they are updating, like they did with spore, I will have hope. But at the moment, they are pissing me off.

12. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I tend to stay away from big games by large developers like EA anyway. They also seem like the kind who won't respond to complaints about issues like these.

13. zachattacksox

zachattacksox Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Need for Speed has a 10% chance of opening without crashing when you tap it. Making a 3.0 update can't take that long to develop and with it being about 3 weeks since the release of 3.0 you would think it would have made it through the review process. 10% is good enough with EA

EA also doesn't seem like the type of developers to even submit the update unless the app is completely broken. Look at Sims 3. Tons of people are complaining about the constant crashing but still no update.

EA is a great console company but not so much with iPhone. I wanna see how Madden 10 turns out to be.

14. Lockdown.

Lockdown. Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Seems like madden 10 is the only hope EA has right now.