EA Tetris worth $5?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by zztfox, Dec 24, 2008.

1. zztfox

zztfox Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Just wondering what to get with my $6, and thought Tetris sounded good, especially since it is on sell for $5.

How deep is the game (modes, replayability, etc...)

2. Deleted

Deleted Active Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Beijing, CHina
    I have the same dilemma. Worth paying for?

3. mrkgoo

mrkgoo Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2008
    I am a big fan of Tetris, and Tetris (EA) blows the free tris out of the water. You see, I'm a stickler for official Tetris - I need it to follow official Tetris guidelines (T-spins, clockwise and anticlockwise spin, quick drop, and most importantly, the point of rotation of the piece). Tetris (EA) is fine in those regards, and the controls are pretty good - certainly not as responsive as a d-pad, so many will struggle at higher difficulties to 'feel' the controls, but they are definitely better than they have any right to be. They are much better than tris (which wasn't bad).

The extra modes I haven't tried, so I can't comment. However 'marathon' doesn't appear to be endless, topping out at level 15 before game over.

There is a long load time involved (a few splash screens), but I did not ever experience the crashes that are spoken of in the reviews. I did, however, have the european version, which was a few versions higher than the US. Regardless, I understand they have been updated again for more stability and the ability to play your own iPod files.

I say it's a good buy for $5 (I bought it for $10).

4. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I like it. I played Tris on a display model in an AT&T store, and the official version is way better. I don't know why the AT&T display had a game that has been banned off of the app store on the iPhone, but either way, the EA Tetris is one of the best non console versions out.

5. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Tetris > Tris... By a mile

it's a fantastic version of Tetris, and now that EA let's you play your own music, you can download the classic Tetris theme and play that instead :D

6. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Tetris for $5... Tetris is a terrible game even in the 1800's or whenever my grandfather used to play it. Go buy something good like Touchgrind

7. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Tetris was invented in the 80s in Russia

8. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Well at least what I said had 80s in it ;P

9. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    Tetris is a really good game!
    I bought it for 10 and have no regrets ;)
    Well worth 5 bucks!

10. ficbot

ficbot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    I say not worth it. I like the game but it drains the battery much faster than other games I have, so I seldom play it.

11. THEDeliriumTrigger

THEDeliriumTrigger Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    The above statement is idiotic. What are you, 10?

So do some of the best games on the app store: its a reality of the itouch gaming experience

12. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Or maybe it drains the battery because you play it so long because you're addicted to it :p

13. zztfox

zztfox Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Thanks for the comments everyone!

I went ahead and bought the game. I really like it!
    I just wish they had added some extra modes or something.
    Still a good game anyhow!

14. h1976

h1976 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Everyone needs a Tetris once in awhile, its an ageless game that never grows old on you.

So is this incarnation of the game worth 5 bucks? Definitely.
    The magic mode has enough bells and whistles to keep you entertained, graphics wise, definitely the prettiest looking Tetris out there.

I paid 10 bucks when it first came out... never regretted it.

15. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I've played Tetris before (not on the iPhone) and I'm not too much of a fan of the game. But, EA makes it look so good on the iPhone, I might get it!

16. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    So what are the controls like? I played tris for a bit on a friends iPhone and found it pretty nasty and dull..
    I used to play tetris on www.freetetris.org for ages (1.5mil, level 69 - That's over 500 lines! Ohrite!) and now I get annoyed with a different method of spinning. Can anyone give some feedback on spinning methods etc.? Seems like there are options? Anyone interested in doing a bit of a comparison please :)? Much appreciation :D

17. jrob1234

jrob1234 Member

Dec 12, 2008
    arnt there already like 10x different versions of tetris for the iphone already? come on EA!

18. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    I was considering buying Tetris awhile ago, but am more tempted now with the price-drop — but I was wondering if someone could answer some specific questions for me:

1: What are the different game modes? And more importantly, how do they differ from the "normal" mode? If someone could give a detailed explanation on them, I'd really appreciate it.
    This is based on the assumption that they have more than one "Classic" mode? I'm on the UK store, and they don't mention this, but the screenshots imply this. And I'm sure in the past they did mention the modes on their game's page. They've replaced their normal game description on the game's page now with sales talk and instructions to re-boot after installing. Not very helpful in telling me anything about the game...
    I used to have "Mickey Mouse's Magical Tetris Challenge" (don't laugh!) on the GameBoy Color, and I really loved that. OK, so the Mickey Mouse graphics were a bit kiddy, but the best part of it was the different game modes that differed from the "standard" Tetris gameplay. I don't think I ever played the "normal" Tetris on that game...

2: Does this version keep scores and stats? And if so, can you keep scores and stats for more than one player?

3: Is it really that different to the free Tris? (Which I do have installed)

4: Do the controls feel "right" for a touch-screen?

Apologies in advance for asking you to spend the time giving me a detailed reply to my detailed query, but I'd really appreciate any responses, thanks.
    I actually wouldn't have to ask some of these questions if (a) EA bothered to put a proper description on the App-Store's game page, and (b) if the link to their site from the App-Store actually told me anything about their iPhone games, rather than just "normal" mobile/cell phone games!!!
    For reference, the links I have on the store are:
    Electronic Arts Web Site = http://www.eamobile.com/Web/CountryGateReskinView.do?cid=95
    TETRIS® (ENGLISH) Support = http://support.eamobile.com/cgi-bin/eamobile.cfg/php/enduser/home.php?p_sid=Vlhn6fmj
    Neither of those tell me anything about Tetris specifically for the iPhone!!! The Support page doesn't even list the UK carrier, O2!
    Truly, EA does not care about the customer... :-(

19. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    @ Brett:

This game is absolutely fan-f***ing-tastic! I have never experienced pure awesome tetrising, but this comes pretty frikkin close! I bought it earlier today so I will PM you with some detail after tomorrows long car trip. So far tho all I can say is wow. Graphics are perfect, controls are the best (feels so good) (btw I hated the single minute I played Tris - controls felt pretty av) and overall it's pretty damn awesome.
    In terms of gameplay types, there are two I think (should be more!). They are Marathon and Magic. Marathon is 15 levels of surviving kinds thing and Magic is where you have to get a certain amount of lines per level (I'm not near 15 yet and it's hardcore tetrising already lol).
    I would just get it if you like tetris (even only a little bit). That's what I did and I'm very happy with my decision.

20. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    Thanks in advance, looking forward to seeing that. :)
    But don't PM me — rather post details here on this page so other people can also see more details about the game.

The screenshots on the App-Store show various items down the side (and also actually on the gameplay "grid" on some screenshots), like a hammer, a bomb, a crayon, bubbles, and a vice — it's these items I'm particularly intrigued by, and how they are implemented into the gameplay.
    Screenshot 3 also shows a "broken window" on the gameplay "grid" — what's that all about?