Universal Dysmantle (by 10tons Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, May 18, 2022.

1. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Instabought because of dev’s past hits.

Good game, got me looking, and this week marks the first time I’ve been tempted to buy an iOS game since July 2021 (SNKRX) despite reading the full TA new games page every thurs morning.

It’s been a long run of solid shit for non-freemium fans, this is solid. Is it fantastic? A few hours in, I’d say solid. Lots to do, huge open world, accessible early upgrades. Combat is a bit clunky (but is combat the point?), agree it’s much more of a scavenging, collecting and building game than owt else.

Definitely not the frantic temp of 10tons previous releases, but doesn’t suffer for it.

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  2. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Don’t worry. Once you kill all the monsters in selected region, you can activate ascension which respawns all the monsters and makes them stronger. And they drop better loot in return. And on top of that, you can do that 3 times AFAIK. So go for it. You’re gonna need those mana beads anyway.

3. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Dysmantle gets the TA Game of the Week treatment!

I’ve had my eye on this since it came out Wednesday and have watched that trailer like 5 times now. I was trying to save money but that GotW pushed me over the edge.

4. #Bonk3rZ

#Bonk3rZ Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2014
    top of the world
    Sooo, how did they handle the font in this one? I've seen some vids and there seems to be quite some text for item description, missions and so on, and font size is usually my biggest strife these days, especially whith games coming from bigger screen platforms.

Also I'm a bit on the fence anyway. I used to be a huge 10tons fan, but after Jydge the games weren't for me anymore. This one looks nice though, but everyone (not only here) is talking about grinding. Which I'm totally ok with, that is, if it makes fun and feels reasonable.

Also I read someone saying you have to change clothes every three minutes. While I totally like the different gear for different approaches thing, this guy really sounded stressed out lol.

So, thankful for any insight and tips. Have a nice weekend everybody!

5. Lurchroboter

Lurchroboter Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2016
    Can anyone comment how hard it is on the battery?

6. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    There are basically 3 climate zones. The gear specifically designed for each climate helps a lot, but it’s necessary only in certain temperatures (like +30C or -30C). When you reach extremes like +50C in the desert or -60C in the arctics, you’ll get hurt anyway, but much more slowly than without a gear. Anyway, changing your clothes every 3 minutes is nonsense. It’s possible only if you fast travel and in this case you’re doing it on purpose. Also, changing your gear is a matter of one tap in the inventory. It couldn’t possibly bother anyone. This survival game is very user friendly. There’s no stamina or hunger. It’s fairly casual in comparison with other hardcore games in survival genre. If the gear is your concern I wouldn’t worry about it at all.

Grinding-wise, yeah. There’s a lot of it. But not in a sense of free 2 play games where it’s artificially stretched to the extremes designed as a money grab or to prolong the gameplay just because. No. Grinding here is fun. It’s about dismantling the world. Amount of materials necessary for upgrades is reasonable and easily obtainable. You’ll destroy everything around you just because it’s fun to do, not because you have to.

Lastly, I can’t comment on font size as I’m gaming exclusively on iPads, specifically for this game it’s iPad mini 6th gen and scaling is perfectly fine. So yeah.

#Bonk3rZ likes this.
  7. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    There’s a battery saving mode checkbox in the graphics settings menu and there’s a ton of customization in the graphics department from render distance to scale to quality etc. That being said it’s fairly heavy 3D game, so I wouldn’t expect any miracles. I think I can drain my battery from 100 to 1 under 3 hours with everything maxed out including FXAA. But I didn’t measure it as battery life never bothered me anyway in any game.

Lurchroboter likes this.
  8. Lurchroboter

Lurchroboter Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2016
    Thanks for the response! Battery Saver Mode sounds like they thought about this. Good enough, will buy then :)

9. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    This is going to compete for game of the year.

10. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I did some testing today and I retract my previous estimate about draining my battery under 3 hours. With everything maxed and enabled (except battery saving mode of course) I went from 100% to 3% in 4 hours and 12 minutes! Plus 19 minutes of YouTube and 27 minutes of Safari according to Screen Time. On the other hand my iPad is relatively new with approximately 25 charging cycles. So I assume it may get worse after a few months of heavy gaming. Anyway, just wanted to clarify the facts.:)

Lurchroboter likes this.
  11. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Personally, it’s among my favorites this year, and one of the most immersive and ambitious mobile games I’ve played. The map is absolutely huge. I spent a couple hours just filling out the starting area, and still have to come back to it later for a mission. I was afraid it would be a time sink and hesitated to purchase it, but even the grinding aspect that many people complained about in reviews is enjoyable - at least for now. One last thing I’d like to mention is the music. It hasn’t become repetitive at all and it’s actually really beautiful. The progression system is great too. I could go on and on but I’d rather be playing :)

12. Remote_

Remote_ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 26, 2011
    UK
    6 hours in and absolutely loving it. I’m still in the Evacuation section and destroying everything I possibly can.

I have no gripes and no complaints so far and even the respawning enemies don’t bother me.

Just a brilliant game that I’m loving playing as a pure exploration (and having just been through Horizon: Forbidden West on PS5 I’m definitely up for the exploration side of things, although this has a strangely purer feel).

Thanks for giving it GOTW - I may well have missed it otherwise!

Havelcek, solarnya and Boardumb like this.
  13. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Definitely top notch game.

I’d almost prefer mob respawn was delayed rather than disabled by crafting. I know it’s a crafting game but getting the mats to craft initially is painstaking with mobs respawning after every death or camp, even if you don’t sleep.

decript likes this.
  14. subgenius

subgenius Well-Known Member

May 30, 2014
    Seriously a great game, I'm surprised there isn't more discussion going on here about it! I'm 15 hours in and still discovering new mechanics, with less than half of the world map explored and tons left to do. Huge value and great quality.

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  15. s1543

s1543 Member

May 8, 2017
    The battery usage has significantly reduced for me with the last update (1.0.424), allowing for longer sessions.
    Really enjoying this game, with 28 hours in.
    Still a lot to discover. This is game is certainly worth the price for me.

16. Brightsiderus

Brightsiderus Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2017
    Finished the game in 35 hours. Loved the game. Finished almost all quests except Gathering fruits and vegetables. Though I haven’t unlocked two categories in building section. How can I do that?

17. slack8182

slack8182 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2017
    Love this game

18. adin

adin Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    New Mexico
    What about an export and an import function? Could use my iCloud or device file system to be the home for the exported save files as long as it’s <GB size

19. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Grinding - there is never a point where there isn’t something decent to do. By the time you need materials, you’ll probably have them in decent quantities. There are some resource blips. These - imo - always work tactically. When you need stuff, you’ll be able to get it.

it is not really grinding gear. Idk, I had close to maxed out (bar the last weapon) blunt and slashing weapons after probably 15 (?) hours. I’ve just completed it & 42ish hours. That’s the main quest - now to unlock the last two weapons…

I haven’t seen a game like this on iOS for years. Astonishing quality. Took me a day or three to really get into it, I haven’t put it down since. There’s never not something to do.

C4B408EA-8CBF-4353-9B66-D95D191F297B.png

Anotherkellydown and Wicked8146 like this.
  20. mgambino

mgambino Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    After I played Neon Chrome, 10ton games have always been day one Xbox purchases for me. I still buy them on iOS when they go on sale too.

They are one of the few devs that actually do a good a job of releasing as good of a mobile product as they do on consoles.