iPhone Dynamite Jack - (by Hassey Enterprises)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jun 27, 2012.

1. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    How are the controls? Fixed dpad, click to move, swype, virtual dpad, analog, tilt...?

Do they work well?

I have been a bit burned in the past with iPad games that require this kind of setup, and I recently played VR Missions on the iPad and the premise felt much better than the actual controls and gameplay.

I'm liking the concept here - anyone care to comment on the controls? Hesitating between this and/or Cthulhu Saves the World for this weekend's purchases - might do both :)

2. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Ok, so after reading some reviews and watching a couple of videos I know _how_ the controls are, in terms of format.

Do you guys feel they work well?

Also, in regards to the community maps, can you download them and play them offline, or do you have to be online to play them?

Cheers!

3. philhassey

philhassey Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Hey - I'm the dev, so I think the controls are good :) But here's a video showing what they look like in action, which should give you a better idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsccBuQQwjw

Also, the community maps can only be played while online, there's no caching / downloading of them. (Though if you start up a big map while online, you can keep playing it even if you lose your internet connection.)

Hope that helps!
    -Phil

4. aceyprime

aceyprime Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Overall the game itself is great but the controls are frustrating me a bit. I prefer the virtual joystick so I'd like so be able to fully turn off the line-drawing movement option as I've accidentally activated it a few times. Also, the virtual joystick seems to "follow" my thumb too much so that I have to lift it and recenter it to move the opposite direction. I'd love an option to make the center of the joystick stay where I first put my thumb down. Thanks for the quality game and keep up the great work Phil!

5. philhassey

Patreon Silver

The virtual joystick can be set to "fixed position" in the Settings already :) Hope that helps out! (Is that what you were looking for?)

(As for disabling the line-drawing or virtual stick, I'm going to be adding those options for an update soon.)

-Phil

6. philhassey

Patreon Silver

Update submitted to Apple :) Here's to a quick approval! Here's the changes that are coming:

- Added "Touch Control Method" setting so you can choose to only use the "Virtual Joystick" or "Line Drawing" instead of using both.

- Fixed other minor bugs.

Cheers!
    -Phil

7. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Cheers Phil, thanks for the prompt replies :)

I'm sorry for not having replied earlier. I can indeed confirm that the controls work well - I never use the line-drawing, though, so I'm happy that we can disable that. Hopefully that'll also stop me from having to read the ever-present line-drawing recommendation. :)

Overall having fun, it's a very fun and competent game so far. Great job!

Cheers, and have a great weekend.
    Paulo

8. philhassey

Patreon Silver

#28 philhassey, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
    Ya know, the "line drawing recommendation" will still appear by default, but you can turn off all the "hints" right now by going to Settings > Options > Turning "In-Game Hints" off .. Once you've gotten the game down you probably don't need those anymore anyways.

EDIT: I've just re-submitted the binary with a fix for the bug you correctly predicted would be in the game :)

-Phil

9. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Haha - happy to (unknowingly) be of assistance :)

I guess I leave the hints on because I am assuming that it's the hints who will introduce me to the new game mechanics as I run into them. It's more of a convenience, though - back in the early 80s with my ZX Spectrum I did not have any hints, I could barely understand English, and yet I managed to play games, so... :)

Cheers!

Paulo

10. tankete

tankete New Member

Jun 13, 2012
    As Phil foreshadowed, today we announced a new map-making contest [DM02] and it starts July 10th. Phil will be giving away a Dynamite Jack t-shirt to the winner of the People's Choice Award and Dynamite Maps will be adding a few additional prizes for other awards and early birds. For complete contest details, read the announcement: http://dynamitemaps.com/2012/07/09/dynamite-maps-contest-2-dm02/

11. Crazyname

Crazyname Active Member

May 12, 2012
    I love this game. I've beaten 17 of the 28 levels with all challenges, I've played some of the community maps, and I've made my own map. I... Can't.... Stop... Playing it..... Soooo addicting.... I hate puzzle games... But I love stealth games.... And explosives..... Hope Phil adds new enemy units sometime that will add significant diversity to community maps

12. philhassey

Patreon Silver

Game update out!

- Added "Touch Control Method" setting so you can choose to only use the "Virtual Joystick" or "Line Drawing" instead of using both.

- Fixed a few other minor bugs.

Enjoy!
    -Phil

P.S. Working on the iPhone version, should be out in a few weeks!

13. Saxonius

Saxonius Member

Oct 5, 2010
    I can't get past the first level; the second is unlocked and I can select it on the map but it always loads level 1... :-/ it also only shows the stats for the first level.

14. philhassey

Patreon Silver

Try tapping the second level twice? If that doesn't work, if you could send me a screenshot (Home button + On/Off button) of what is going on that would be helpful.

-Phil

15. Saxonius

Saxonius Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Thanks for the quick response! I PMed you a screenshot and details.

Saxon

16. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Few weeks :( I was hoping today...

17. philhassey

Patreon Silver

Next week. Very probably!

-Phil

18. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Is it going to be a standalone iPhone version or an update to the iPad version?

19. philhassey

Patreon Silver

It's a Universal (iPhone+iPad) update to the existing app :) It will work on anything "iPod touch 3" or better.

-Phil

20. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Awesome. :) Really, really lookin' forward to it.