Dynamics of TA members in relation to games

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by VoodooVyper, Mar 3, 2009.

1. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    This is just an observation. I've been on TA for less than 2 months and witnessed the release of some pretty big name titles like Payback, Sway, Zenbound to name a few.

The thing I noticed is that the TA forum members are very dynamic. When Payback was announced, a majority of the members were excited and couldn't wait for the games release. They spoke of situations where specific executions would suit their style, or how much fun it would be to run over unsuspecting pedestrians. The thread packed up a seemingly endless amount of pages to be read.

Now, a more recent title, Zenbound. Since the hype about Payback has died down, the majority (even the same, if I may say so) have done the same thing about this game. Mentioning how relaxing it would be to wrap a rope around a piece of wood, or how tranquil the soundtrack is.

One month the forum is full of blood(virtual)-hungry maniacs who just want to shoot something (virtually), then the next it's filled with... dare I say... hippies. The sequence of change is astounding, to say the least. I belong to many a forum (360, ps3, psp to name a few) and never have I witnessed such change in mood from game to game.

Discuss.

Ps. This thread is game related, so I don't really care to hear anyone say "post in lounge". Save it.

2. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I, personally, just think a good iPhone game is a good iPhone game, regardless of the genre. I enjoy so many styles of games

3. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    What game would this be related to??? :confused:
    All of them? Oh ok, move it to the lounge buddy!

[Edit] - So I'm not a total jerk, I like all genres pretty much, like tennis said, A good game is a good game... I just don't post on the games I'm not interested in, mainly most platformers...

4. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    This is contrary to the point I was trying to hit on. You are like myself, eclectic when it comes to games.

But the point I'm trying to make is that when Payback was introduced, everybody was suddenly a die-hard action/guns/death fan.

Then when ZenBound was introduced, suddenly everyone is a brain-massage aficionado. Extravagantly ecstatic about tranquil relaxation.

5. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    Mostly Payback and Zenbound. Would you rather I post a question or nine regarding which purchase I should make with my last $3.56?

6. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    That's a really insightful observation and one that has been more apparent in the last few weeks with several notable releases. There was a similar thread just this past weekend talking about hype, and I think you can see a correlation between hype and these changing moods that appear with each subsequent new title launch. No offense to the TA crowd, but I would assume that the majority of TA members are probably in the 16-34 age demographic with most at the lower end range. A lot of what resonates and will change moods is based on psychology and for the younger demographic, they are more susceptible to suggestive messaging and the pack mentality. These changes in moods are what determine tastes which for the most part are generally short in duration. Also in terms of the pack mentality, when a large number of people are saying one thing, others will tend to believe it as well. It's a normal response which marketers are keenly aware of. So while relaxing games may be the flavor one minute, it can easily switch back to blood and guts the next due to some strategically placed messages.

7. wiesse

wiesse Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The games for the iPhone are small, people do not play them for months on end, so we need a "steady flow" This is why we do not settle on one game for a long time but jump from game to game.

8. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    #8 VoodooVyper, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
    You nailed exactly what I was getting at. And currently working on my Marketing degree, this is the perfect example to take note of.

As true as that is, I still see just as much hype for these games as I do for big name games on 360/ps3/wii. This is based on the member/forum ratio however. Almost as much of a crowd of TA members scurry to one game and generate hype and "when is this game releasing im so sick of waiting" messages than do members of an xbox forum on average. I never see pre-launch game posts on threads on the xbox forum stack up more than 70 pages, ever.

9. Spartan12103

Spartan12103 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    Good point. The games hold their "wow" factor for a lot shorter time.

10. yankjenets

yankjenets Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    I think wiesse nailed this one on the head. People end up playing most apps only a couple of times before moving on to the next hot new thing, which is encouraged on this platform by the low price and convenience of buying new games.

11. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    I would also add that I think it's because the games are so cheap compared to traditional console titles that everyone is able to play them and make comments.
    Back in the days of PS2 you'd be lucky to hear me comment about games other than GT3, MGS2 and GTA3 because that's all I could really afford (in time and money).

12. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    There are a lot of members on TA, and the hype is generally by different people. For instance, I wasn't part of the Payback thread, but I participated a lot in the Zen Bound one. The hype that seems to be a chnge of mood, is actually a change in people.

13. jshmrsn

jshmrsn Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Mobile Game Developer
    Agoura Hills, CA
    The iPhone game industry is young, and thus is changing very rapidly on a daily basis. So, it makes sense that the player's opinions are also changing rapidly.

Less than a year ago, we were playing 2D tech demo "games" from Installer and Cydia, then the App Store introduced Monkey Ball, and recently we are seeing amazing 3D games like Sway and Zen Bound.

Consoles come out over couple years and the individual games change very little. If a game does do something revolutionary, you can bet it will get the kinda of following these iPhone games are receiving.

14. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California

15. anduril_ukr

anduril_ukr Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    yeah, qft. much of those bulk of the threads were repeated posters. i visited the thread for payback maybe once, but i was quite active in reading and posting on the zen bound thread, because that is a game i really was excited about, and it lived up to my expectations.

16. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    All I know is that people here are suckered in by the hype so incredibly fast that it isn't even remotely funny anymore.

17. anduril_ukr

anduril_ukr Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    i got sway recently, and that was the only game i have bought that was SWAYed :)D) by the hype. other than that, i just buy games if i think that they are QUALITY, FUN, and UNIQUE apps that I will enjoy.

18. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    #18 CandyNJ66, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
    Well said Albie! There is a pack mentality in groups of people that are online too and it's very interesting. If we see a group of people running, well usually we are going to run first and ask questions later. Some people tend to follow the crowd, first out of curiosity and then they will get caught up in the hype spurred on by still more people doing the same thing.

19. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Very true. As a general rule of thumb, give me a thread about a puzzle game, a word game or a RPG and I will be all over it. Even more so when I have played it and enjoyed it. I've become familar with a lot of other users who also like the same game genres as me. I'm interested in what they have to say about a game because I now have a good feel of what they like or dislike in that type of game. So when I "check into unfamilar territory" and take a look at threads on games from other genres like Payback, I'm not familar with a lot of the posters. Some of whom have hundreds of posts! So when the hype seems to also be a change in mood I would agree that it is actually a change in people.

20. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Dude......that is freaking funny!!! To true...To true.....