Universal Dwelp (by Alex Blaj)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Andy C83, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    I have an idea for an endless mode that I think would be a lot of fun.
    -You are given random puzzles which get harder as you go.
    - you have no back or undo
    - you must make a series of perfect moves
    - there is a leaderboard for most puzzles completed/most correct moves made in a row

This would make this game mode less trial-and-error and very chess like. You would have to really think three moves ahead to be successful.

just brain storming

2. Roundabyte

Roundabyte Well-Known Member

May 21, 2011
    Congrats, Roger! And thanks for sharing the screenshots for me!

@Lazer Kat I'm a bit reluctant to adding such a permanent next puzzle button, because I'm afraid it will encourage players to rush through the puzzles without actually trying to solve them, and I really wouldn't want that. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to make it difficult for the player to get to the next puzzle, by forcing them to go to the map, but since the first few dozen levels are pretty well balanced (at least I hope so), I think it's really good for them to be tackled in order (maybe with an exception here or there). As for the orientation issue on the iPad, I'm still trying to work that out. Have no idea why it happens (it only does after you send the app to the background once). I have found a dirty fix for it, but I'm not really happy with it, so I'll keep trying. Till then, here's a workaround: Just turn the device upside down and back right-side up and it will convince the iPad that the game is running in portrait mode. Thanks for pointing it out!

@y2kmp3 I assume Roger's screenshots made it clear... A solution saver is already on my to-do list. I still have to figure out how to integrate it and don't mess too much with the design. Will keep you posted.

3. Pantsjo

Pantsjo Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Netherlands
    I'd think you could redo the steps of the saved solution in the same way you can undo the steps of your current solution. I really love that design.

4. Roundabyte

May 21, 2011
    That's right, I could keep the solution there even though you complete the puzzle (the same way it stores the progress when you haven't completed it but go back to the menu), but with the current design, in case I do that, if you undo some of the steps, the solution is lost, and only the current steps are saved. We'll see... There must be an elegant way to do it.

That's a pretty neat idea! While working on the game, I did ponder the option to include a two-player mode somewhat similar to what you describe, but it never occurred to me that I could do the same for single-player. In the end, I left it for a (not very near) update, but this game mode for just one player seems more manageable, so will definitely keep it in mind and maybe try to prototype it in the coming weeks. Thanks, Lazer Kat!

5. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #85 y2kmp3, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    Can anyone confirm that Level 73 is solvable STRICTLY using this scheme R-G-R-G-R-G or G-R-G-R-G-R (strictly alternating) in 6 steps rather than R-G-R-G-R-R (I'm aware that this is not required to solve the level, but I am testing out an alternate solution)? I am only able to locate solutions using R-G-R-G-R-R (though there are multiple of them).

6. Dorcaser

Dorcaser New Member

Dec 2, 2014
    I have decided to include these puzzles because they add a nice element to the game. They are not too many anyway.[​IMG]

7. Roundabyte

May 21, 2011
    Yes, I have just solved it now strictly alternating. Here's a hint, if you'd like to use it. It's neither the first move, nor which color to start with, but rather something to do with the final shape.

The green dots end up as a straight line.

8. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #88 y2kmp3, Dec 2, 2014
    Got a few levels previously not solved. Spent a lot of time looking back at the errors I made. I thought I would put this down on paper to see if others share this insight. I will describe this in such a way that minimizes spoilers.

In all cases, there was a critical move which I missed. Further, in all cases, I actually achieved the configuration up to that critical point multiple times. Yet, somehow, my instinct would lead me to choose a placement somewhere else, leading to the same dead-end. Eventually, I erroneously made the conclusion that the said strategy did not work, thus shutting myself off from the correct solution.

1. Level 68 - The critical move was from step
    to step
    . There were two paths for the next step. Somehow, I indistinctly and repeatedly chose the incorrect path. The solution would only work if the other path was chosen.

2. Level 73 - I previously had solved the level perfectly, but my solution did not obey the alternating mechanic to the end. Redo solving the level using Roundabyte's hint that would obey the alternating mechanic to the end. The critical move turned out to be from step
    to step
    . In previous attempts, I kept making the same erroneous choice, eventually mistakenly concluded that this strategy did not work.

3. Level 85 - The critical move was from step
    to step
    . I got to that step many times, but I could not make the connection to place the connected dots in the right place to make to the next step, leading to previous failures.

4. Level 100 - Previous trials yielded solutions for 8 or 7 steps but not 6 steps. The critical move was from step
    to step
    . Thus, if the "clever" move was not seen early on, you would basically lock yourself out of the optimal solution and have no chance of solving the level.

9. Roundabyte

May 21, 2011
    Well done, y2kmp3! I'm glad that you got No. 73 solved for good! =)

Your explanation is great! I'm really curious what others think.

Also, just wanted to let you know that a few minutes ago I found the root cause for the iPad orientation issue that was bugging me so much, so I was able to get rid of that dirty hack and solve it for good! I'd like to send an update for review, but I'm still not happy about the undoer on the bonus puzzles. Since I can't reproduce the behaviour you have mentioned on my devices, would you be so kind to give it a try and maybe figure out when it happens for you? Any little nudge might help. You can PM me if you'd like. Thanks!

10. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #90 y2kmp3, Dec 2, 2014
    Hi, Roundabyte,

Just to be clear, the only times I observed the bug was doing the B levels. I did not see the bug with the other levels. Obviously, having finished all of the B levels, the bug no longer troubles me. I suspect that the bug was due to the use of multiple panes panning back and forth and undoing the steps rapidly.

Not sure how do you want me to test it. Can you explain? You may PM me with the details if it cannot be discussed openly in the forum.

Can you prepare a hint table showing ONLY the FIRST step for all of the X levels? I solved X3 (perfectly) but not the others. Don't want to yield to 3-step hint yet. Trying to stick to only 1-step hint.

11. Roundabyte

May 21, 2011
    @y2kmp3 "Rapidly" was the key word, though I'm sure I have tested it like that, but somehow I didn't manage to reproduce it before. Thanks a bunch! Now onto solving it.

12. Roundabyte

May 21, 2011
    I have noticed now that you have been editing your message while I was replying. Sure, will prepare a list and post it later on today.

13. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #93 y2kmp3, Dec 2, 2014
    Solved all 100 Levels (see screenshot; 99 Purple due to Level 19 bug).

Many truly ingenious levels and very clever solutions. Wow!

Roundabyte, do you know how many players have solved the game so far, with or without the X levels? I don't use GC, so I can't tell.

[​IMG]

14. Roundabyte

May 21, 2011
    Wow! You're really really good! I think you're the first one to do it! Congratulations!

I can't really tell how the others are fairing, because based on their score, I can only tell they are not done with it yet, but there are many possible combinations to reach that score (especially taking into account the X puzzles, which are worth 10+10 points each).

What I can do is to share with you the top 5 scores on the leaderboard at the moment: 426, 386, 386, 362, 352. Some of these guys are here with us, but will let them to mention which is which and provide more details, if they want.

15. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I have 362 points:86 solved and 77 purpele'd plus all the bonus levels.

I am stuck on 87 and can't purple 69 somehow any tip on 69 would be nice, for example does the yellow dot go in the middle or somewhere else it's freaking me out.

16. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Just voted for your game on Game of the Week.

In fact I have put your game in my Top Ten for Game of the Year of 2014.

17. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #97 y2kmp3, Dec 2, 2014
    Roger-NL,

Here you go:

Level 69 - In my solution, the yellow dot in the middle (on the second row) is
    moved up to join the two yellow dots on the top row to form a group.
    The critical move to the solution is
    to move the green dot on the second row to the opposite side on the third row to form a group and then move the group to form an L on the same side. The solution should become obvious at this point.

Level 87 - This one stumped me for quite a while. The critical move to the solution is
    to move the center purple dot from the top map to the bottom map to the second row to join the purple dot on the first row and then move the group one down to join another puple dot to form a L. The solution should become obvious at this point.

18. Testopi

Testopi Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2013
    85 solved and 83 "Perfect" plus the bonus levels.

Level 58!! It's freaking me out. 9 Moves??

19. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    I just did both of these as well.

Number 52 is really getting to me right now.
    I know when I see the solution it will be a case of "how did I miss that?".

Any hints would be appreciated.

20. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Lazer Kat,

For level 52, there are actually multiple solutions.

The final shape
    has the missing dot in the middle along one edge and not at the corner.
    A critical move to the solution is
    to take one dot from each of the two panes at the top to join with a dot in one of the bottom panes to have a triangle.