Universal Dwelp (by Alex Blaj)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Andy C83, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Roundabyte

Roundabyte Well-Known Member

May 21, 2011
    You're most welcome! Bye for now...

2. saosijs

saosijs Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    #62 saosijs, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
    Result of the day ("purpled/solved"):
    Levels L=92/96 (out of a total of 100) (not counting 19 already as purple),
    Bonus B= 9/9  (out of a total of 9),
    Hard   X= 0/0   (out of a total of 6)

Time for a break! (Breaking Good;))

3. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    I remember the name as "Year 2000 mp3" (ezelsbruggetje) :D

4. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Roundabyte,

Thanks for confirming (again) that Level 68 is possible. I did not look at the answers. As it is surely solvable now, I will keep hacking at it until the cows come home. Will not admit defeat. :)

About the score, don't worry about it. I am not really interested in any leader-board placement. Instead, I am far more interested in your feedback and how many levels and which levels had been solved "perfectly" by other players. That was the intent of my original question.

For now, I think saosijs is the undisputed king of the game.

About the bug, it is happening a lot on my device (iPad Air 7.x). It is very annoying because it means I can't undo my steps and have to reset each time. :(

5. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #65 y2kmp3, Dec 1, 2014
    saosijs,

which levels were you not able to solve "perfectly"? Can you list the level numbers?

Here are my "unfinished" levels:

Partially solved: 86, 90, 99, 100
    Completely unsolved: 68, 85, 96, X1, X2, X4, X5, X6

Therefore current status is 93/97 of 100 for L (Level), 9/9 of 9 for B, 1/1 of 6 for X.

All other levels are completely solved (notwithstanding Level 19 for which I considered "solved" once accounting for the bug).

6. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    This game deserves an Apple Design Award.

7. Roundabyte

May 21, 2011
    @y2kmp3 It's great to see your status! That means your current score is 434 (and will be +2 with the update). If you were to enable Game Center, you'd get first place! Congrats!

@Lazer Kat That's one of the nicest things I have heard about my tiny game! Made my day! Thank you!

8. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #68 y2kmp3, Dec 1, 2014
    Update: Just figured out 86 (finally) in 9 steps (perfect solve) instead of 10 (the level which you and I previously spoke of). Interesting... It is one of those levels in which once you see the solution, you can't unsee it. Yet, somehow, I was blinded to the solution for so long until now. Very, very strange feeling...

Thanks, Roundabyte, for the compliment. :)

I am hitting a significant brick wall with all of the remaining puzzles. Any chance that you can prepare a set of stepwise hints for some selected levels. Don't want any right now. I like to see if saosijs, Roger-NL, and I can collaborate to tackle the remaining puzzles. I just want to ask upfront now to give you an advanced notice. One way I see to do this is to disclose only the first step or the first step for each DIFFERENT color. As many levels have symmetry, any particular hint for those levels should not need to be orientation specific.

I have yet to look at your hint for 68. I share with Roger-NL that both of us were somehow blinded to some "critical" move to solve that level. This is particularly troublesome because the number of spaces are so few that there are so very limited possible number of moves. Thus, I can only conclude that I somehow am subconsciously blinding myself from seeing some possibilities. When you were beta-testing the game, have you encountered tester feedback similar to this? What about your own experience comparing your original solution to a better solution that you did not previously foresee but only later found using the algorithmic search?

PS: I think there is general consensus here that your game is anything but "tiny". :)

9. Roundabyte

May 21, 2011
    Way to go!

I did encounter the behaviour you have spoken about quite often when testing Dwelp (actually it has happened to me too, and not once). Sometimes it was for the first-time players with the easier puzzles (No. 7 is one of them), and even more so with the difficult puzzles. Some people were stuck on a puzzle for hours, while others solved it a few minutes, constantly leaving me with thoughts like "This is too easy for No. 86" or "This is too hard for No. 32". That's why I kept reordering them right till the end. =)

But, yeah, as someone has mentioned before, it was bound to happen with this puzzle type. And that is the main reason why I decided to always open enough puzzles for the player to switch to.

Sure I can prepare some hints for the puzzles where the collaborative effort doesn't yield a solution. Just let me know the numbers. As you mentioned, one possible hint is the first (or first few) moves. Another one would be to explain the final shape. Even if you aren't told where to start, it often helps to know where you have to get to. And yet another option would be to provide the number of moves for each particular color.

10. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    #70 Lazer Kat, Dec 1, 2014
    Always allowing people to switch to the next puzzle makes this game work.
    If you hadn't have done that the game wouldn't be what it is.

This type of game, especially - oftentimes I look at a puzzle and think "this has no solution. This must be a mistake.".
    I skip it. I come back to it half an hour later and I solve it in 30 seconds. Our brains work differently at different times.

As far as a hint system goes, I'm not into the high numbers yet, but feel it is unneeded now. That opinion will surely change when I get into the 70s and 80s.

I want to thank you for not doing what most devs would have done.

It would have been so easy for you to create a hint system fueled by IAPs - but it could have ruined this experience.

11. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil

Solved but not "mastered": 77, 90, 95, 100 (and the infamous 19 of course :))
    Unsolved: 85, 99, X1, X2, X3, X4, X5, X6

(I did use the hints on 68 :eek:)

12. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I am stuck at 85 to at the moment, staring at it for an hour now Ha Ha.

13. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    I am stuck at work at the moment :D
    Not much solving puzzles here the coming days

14. Roundabyte

May 21, 2011
    @Lazer Kat Thanks a lot for the encouraging words!

@saosijs I'm stuck at work too... Killing bugs and (re)solving puzzles... =]

@ROGER-NL My wife was stuck on X2 for about an hour and a half. When reading this, she gave up and went on to solve 85 again. =) And she "purpled" it in 10 minutes... But, exactly as we have discussed before, it was most likely a stroke of inspiration. She hasn't solved yet some of those you guys did.

@Everyone I wanted to ask for some time, but kept forgetting:

Do you find the puzzle previewer on the map useful? And did you notice it easily?

15. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    #75 Lazer Kat, Dec 1, 2014
    I had no idea it was there. I will use it now that I know about it. When you hold for a preview and you're at the top of the screen, the preview pops up above the actual screen border to where you can't see it.
    ...but...
    One thing I'd like is the ability to click "next puzzle" before I solve it. I like to go into a puzzle, let's say puzzle 25. I look at it and decide if I want to play it again. As it is, if I don't I have to solve it to get to the next puzzle button, or go back into the puzzle map.

I think a permanent next puzzle button would be awesome.

One thing I want to mention, is my device seems to think the game is in landscape orientation.
    To access my multitasking menu I have to pull from the sides instead of the top and bottom - when I'm holding my device in portrait. This is awkward, and slightly takes away from an otherwise elegantly designd masterpiece.

You're welcome. I'm glad you understand how big of a compliment that actually was. After all, last years recipients (which were games) were Threes!, Device 6, Blek, and Monument Valley.

I think Dwelp deserves a spot next to those, and could easily be this years Blek.
    https://developer.apple.com/design/awards/

16. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #76 y2kmp3, Dec 1, 2014
    Roundabyte,

Please humor me on this. Can you upload a screencap of Level 68 showing the configuration at the START of the puzzle (before any move)? Don't use colorblind mode. I want to make sure that my initial configuration is the same and the potential grid spaces are identical (I know, I know...). I am just being stubborn and am refusing to look at your hints on principle.

PS: I used the previewer a lot and found it very helpful. This is because, after around level 68, I was no longer playing the levels in sequence. The previewer was a great feature to allow me to quickly glaze if I had already tried a level. One additional feature I would like is to have a built-in solution saver, much like Trainyard. Right now, I am taking screenshots (notwithstanding the screen orientation bug) after each level to document my solution. This is a big pain because the large number of screenshots I needed.

17. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    2ymkp3 asked me for a part of the solution for level 68 here it is.

Hope this is what she meant.

Attached Files:

18. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    #78 ROGER-NL, Dec 1, 2014
    Wow, just got level 85, I was never been so euphorically this whole year, what a great puzzle game.

It took me about three hours.

19. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Here is a hint for level 85:
    The purple dot at the bottom needs to be last connected.

20. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Congrats, Roger.

Neither saosijs nor I got this one yet.