Universal Dustoff Heli Rescue (by Invictus)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sink_or_swim, Dec 3, 2014.

1. sleb

sleb Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Ohio
    They are not helicopter controls. One finger on each side of screen and copter goes up. Finger on right, copter goes right. Finger on left copter goes left. If you take fingers off, copter goes down. You can over control, but flying with these controls actually seems like it makes the game a bit more challenging. I have played on both iPhone and iPad mini. Plays great on both.

2. Invictus_Games

Invictus_Games Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Mar 2, 2012
    Game development
    Hungary
    No killing enemies in this game

Actually you don't kill your enemies in this game. You can shot down tanks and jeeps but their drivers will just jump out an run away. Actually you chase them away with your helicopter because they always run as far as possible from your heli.

3. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Thanks again for your code Invictus !

This game starts out "easy" on the first few levels...once you get the hang of controlling your chopper, of course. Correct me please if i'm wrong, but as soon as you have some saviours on board, you can feel their weight and so you have to adjust the controls. I really like this real feel scenario, well done. It gets even better (or worse) when the stormy rain sets in. Playing (and liking) "Retry" helped me a lot to improve in this game.

At first i thought having only 16 levels is a bit short, but i was wrong. Well, some might blaze through them, ok, but others want the gold medal (time based) in every level, and this ain't so easy folks. Good replay value here.

Great art style, sounds and atmosphere keep me still playing this gem.

4. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    #24 chief78, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    Fun game, good challenge. I agree the controls need to be the way they are to incorporate a fair amount of finesse and added challenge. For the life of me, I just cannot beat mission 5. There's one guy in a cage to the left, and then 6 guys I rescue after taking out the jeep and tank to the far right....but there's supposed to be 5 more to rescue. I thought the little base where the statue is would be the other 5, but there's no one to rescue...?

EDIT: Aha, I realized that the area past the caged guy is a little cave to navigate to the last 5 ##

5. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Down to $0.99 for the weekend. I've created a price drop thread if you need somewhere to vent.

6. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    @Devs: Is it feasible that a future update includes mission randomization? weather, lighting, position of soldiers to rescue, enemy appearance, etc. I never thought the game would hook me so much, it's fantastic. Control is simple and difficult at the same time. The key to success is the speed at which you move... But if you tilt too much the heli, you will crash. Btw, why isn't there an achievement for performing a loop? It wasn't that easy to make the first helicopter perform a 360° turn, and I'm still trying with the second one... :p

7. pepper1234

pepper1234 Member

Nov 12, 2014
    I did pick it up at the weekend sale and I was right, me and the boy are both going aaaaaaaa and laughing about crashing. However in my serious game play the controls take a little getting used to, but can be mastered. I am doing barrel rolls on purpose and not crashing. Haven't played a lot, but having fun so far with what I have played.

Will update when I open up more choppers

8. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    To the dev - I was curious if there is wind that effects flight on some levels. My instance is level 8 (Monsoon Mayhem). Sometimes I feel like I cannot get the heli to go forward and it seems like I'm going against a huge current. If that is the case, would there be a way to add a wind speed and direction indication? I like a challenge, but saving 12 hostages and then all of a sudden not being able to go forward for no apparent reason makes me think the touch input isn't registering, or that it is hopefully wind. Just a thought. Fantastic game either way. I've been playing only this since it came out

9. Invictus_Games

Patreon Indie

Mar 2, 2012
    Game development
    Hungary
    Wind

Certainly, there is wind force on rainy levels like Monsoon Mayhem and Heavy Rain.
    The strength and direction of the wind is indicated by the rain itself. The more horizontally it falls the stronger wind you face. That's it :)

10. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    Ok cool. I wasn't sure if the rain was just for effect or part of the weather system. Thank you ##

Piggyback on a few posts up, the randomization idea made me think of an endless mode. Basically, go out save x amount of soldiers, return to base, and the "wave" is cleared. Each wave gets progressively harder, adding more vehicles or trickier spots to navigate to or land, weather conditions get worse, etc. leaderboards could be total times or waves cleared, and if it were expanded on, for number soldiers rescued.

11. cobriendubs

cobriendubs Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Love this game really. One of the better recent releases IMO.

The controls are tricky - sometimes very tricky when wind and weight are involved, but not impossible to master.

Very worth the cost.

12. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full price Australian store. Still, looks great!

13. Invictus_Games

Patreon Indie

Mar 2, 2012
    Game development
    Hungary

The "endless" mode is a very interesting idea.
    We'll think about it and consider it as a possible new mode, following we've finished the work on the new missions and levels.

Please don't hesitate to share more ideas, suggestions for improvements here.

14. Invictus_Games

Patreon Indie

Mar 2, 2012
    Game development
    Hungary
    $0.99

Dustoff Vietnam is $0.99 again!

15. deadcandance

deadcandance Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Great great game. Very polished. Love the controls. Just hard enuff for a really good chalkenge. Great sound great look and atmosphere. How about a Huey cobra gunship. And please please more missions. A crazy taxi like endless mode would be great. Timed pickups and every survivor saved adds more time to the clock. Thanks devs

16. Invictus_Games

Patreon Indie

Mar 2, 2012
    Game development
    Hungary
    #36 Invictus_Games, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  17. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Copying this here from the price drop thread. Great to here more content is still on the way.

I'm still loving this. Currently on Mission 13, which is crazy tough with long, winding caverns. Real shame that it hasn't had more exposure, as it's extremely high quality.

18. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    Yeah mission 13 is hardcore! Love the challenge though, this game just keeps putting a smile on my face. So will we see the 4 additional missions soon? Also, the idea for the "endless" with saving lives to add time would work well for the mode. Can't wait to see what gets added. Fantastic game that bleeds excellent production value all around.