Universal Dust: An Elysian Tail (by Humble Hearts LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NoogyHumbleHearts, Oct 6, 2015.

1. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    #361 sobriquet, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    Yes. Noogy is the man. This game made by one guy makes some games made by a whole team look like the work of small children. I can't wait to see what else he comes up with.

2. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Lol what are you talking about? Theres no way one dude made this game. Armies of game makers dont make games this smooth with voice acting. Have to call BS on that, there has to be a big team behind it.

3. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Don't know if you're joking or not, but that was one thing that was boasted about on this game.

4. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    37 pages later? Oh yeah, he's joking. Like the research wuz done 7 still came to call BS. To see those of have blasted this game in high ratings,stars,reviews ect. gives light to the question that has been answered many moons ago. This iz the end of 2015, please help us give props to passionate Devs like these that prove it can be done in our upcoming 2016+

5. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Not sure if you're joking or not, but in case you're not, here's a link to an article written by the dev about the making of this game:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/180520/postmortem_humble_hearts_dust_.php

Of course he had help with some things, including hiring voice actors, but it seems as far as the actual programming and artwork goes, he really did mostly do it himself.

6. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Exactly, and no one is saying he did it in the same amount of time as it would take multiple people. I'm not even sure how long it took (been awhile since I read that article) but it had to be pretty long project.

7. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Just picked up the game this morning...that was 4 hours ago of no stop playing.

Wow, what a game.
    I feared I didn't like the characters or that it was too chaotic for my tastes, but to my surprise I was proven wrong and the game really sucked me in.

Awesome execution, super fluid, nice too look at and with perfect controls.
    Can't wait to play more, now that the story opened up.

8. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Just completed the game on normal.

WOW.

Hands down one of the best games I played.

Glorious, just glorious.

The dev is already at work at something in a similar vein right? Right?

Anyway, highly recommended, AAA quality on everything, perfect controls.
    Played equally on both an iPhone 6S and iPad Air, took me 11 hours and 51 minutes BEFORE last fight which took me 3 days in real life to beat and it's freaking hard but so freaking epic!!!!

9. stormyspop1

stormyspop1 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    For anyone interested; this was just updated with additional languages and MFi controller support....

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    mfI SUPPORT WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

EDIT: Just realized i had capslock on. o_O

11. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    I juz came here to give more
    ⭐️##✨#

12. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Just played for a while with my MadCatz controller, and now it's just like playing the Xbox version. The controls are perfect.

The only flaw is that the help and tutorial messages aren't consistent about mentioning the controller button mappings. For instance I don't think it ever told me I could use the triggers for dash. I knew that from the playing the Xbox version, but people who've only played on iOS might not realize that.

13. NoogyHumbleHearts

NoogyHumbleHearts Active Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Humble Hearts LLC President, Lead Programmer, Lead
    Colorado
    I'm glad it worked well for you ;) Yes, it would have been preferable to have controller-specific hints, particularly since those already existed for previous versions. But it was such a pain modifying them for touch in the first place that I figured users who were savvy enough to own an MFi gamepad could figure things out.

14. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    You're probably right about controller users, since iOS controller users are already used to having to use a little trial and error to figure out the button mappings.

I'll say again, the controller mappings themselves are excellent, including full menu navigation. Even after spending 20+ hours playing through the whole game using touch controls, I still find it much easier to pull off combos and trigger dashes using the controller. Thank you for adding controller support and continuing to support the game.

15. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Picked this up this morning. Very excited about getting the chance to play it now.

Can we do our 2015 GOTY votes again now, please? Nearly five months down the line, having played through or at least started much of my backlog, I reckon I'd have a very different top 5 now.

16. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    I wonder if there'll be an update to have high res assets matching PC version for the newer devices. Unless that was already implemented in an earlier patch.

17. demod1

demod1 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2012
    You can pick this up for a buck right now, which is great for such an amazing game!

18. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Whoa! It's down to one dollar?! That's crazy for this beautiful game. I highly recommend picking it up!

19. BlottoBrah

BlottoBrah Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2013
    US
    Just bought this game a couple weeks ago at full price, and it was worth it. Definitely a gem and insane if not bought for $0.99. If you're into action RPGs, you'll love this from beginning to end.

20. BlottoBrah

BlottoBrah Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2013
    US
    Also to add, don't let the app pic turn you off. It did for me for quite sometime. Kept thinking it was some snugly furry little kids game. Other than some cute characters (which by the way have fantastic dialog), it's a worthwhile adventure.