Universal Dust: An Elysian Tail (by Humble Hearts LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NoogyHumbleHearts, Oct 6, 2015.

1. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Thanks guys. I hate that feeling of thinking I must have missed something. I search and search, start to feel like an idiot then finally move on in frustration.

Not so much frustration this time but I think my behavior caused some accidental grinding. Going back and forth through the opening level I was level 5 before I reached the first chapter. Level 8 after defeating Fuse and he was the first mission I went on. I pretty much walked all over him once I figured out his attack. The first Rock Giant I encountered at the beginning of the game was a tougher fight for me than Fuse.

Non of this has detracted from my enjoyment of the game. I want to compliment the developer for crafting such a good game.

One guy created this and it was his first attempt at making video games? Is that right? Unbelievable. He must not sleep much with the ideas running through his head all the time. I'd like to see what he hasn't shown us yet. With that much dedication and skill, I know there's more. He has to be working on a sequel or a movie or something.

The art style is obviously amazing. I feel he must have started the designs process with the question "what if Walt Disney was Japanese?"

Well thanks for the game. I will immediately give you some more money when you have more to sell.

2. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    #322 GiHubb, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    Brilliant game and a brilliant postmortem! Thanks for taking the time in bringing this to iOS. I hope it does well as you deserve the success. It's wonderful how the game improves the deeper you get into it. Thumbs way up!

EDIT: I'm playing it on "Tough" difficulty as I found "Normal" to be too easy.

EDIT 2: the swipe to dodge mechanic doesn't seem to register well. I switched to having those as buttons but that's less than ideal. Any chance that could be improved? I'm playing on an iPad Air.

3. Milotorou

Milotorou Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    For your 2nd point, i do feel the same on my ipad air, you really need to swipe fast and far with your finger, on the phone it does seem to register better for that reason, i would suggest to reduce the "swipe distance" needed for the dodge to trigger.

For now just make sure you swipe fast enough and far enough on the screen, i got used to it after a while

4. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    I also find the swipe-to-dash to be too hard to pull off reliably on an iPad. I know I just need to do a big fast swipe, but I find it difficult to pull off in the heat of battle when I really need it. I find I just end up not using dash as much as I did on Xbox. That's really the only weak spot in the controls IMO. It would be nice if the dev could reduce the distance you need to swipe to trigger dash on devices with larger screens.

5. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    That's my experience on iOS as well! I barely used dash, and trying to get out of town after finding the cursed box was a pain because of it.

6. NoogyHumbleHearts

NoogyHumbleHearts Active Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Humble Hearts LLC President, Lead Programmer, Lead
    Colorado
    Hi all, just a heads up that the first patch has passed review and should be available shortly (1.052).

Among gameplay and difficulty tweaks this should resolve the 'half-purple' screen on older iOS versions. Sorry it's taken so long, the patch has actually been ready for a while but the certification process takes forever.

7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Awesome. :)

Gotta ask though: Is it a delta update or are we gonna have to download the entire app again?

8. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Oh that's SO AWESOME!!!! Thank you so so so much!!! Can't wait to play this! =oD

9. NoogyHumbleHearts

Oct 6, 2015
    Colorado
    I believe this is going to be a full redownload. For future updates I'll try to figure out an incremental patch if possible.

10. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Update is live. Seems like a delta update. Was able to update and install in like 20 seconds.

11. NoogyHumbleHearts

Oct 6, 2015
    Colorado
    Oh nice, wasn't exactly sure how it would update. Seems it's a bit like Steam with the intelligent increment.

12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Yep, definitely delta! Took less than 5 seconds to update on 3G. :D

13. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Damn that was quick! Checked it out and it seems to be working perfectly on my device now. Thank you!!!

I haven't had much time to get into it (TNF), but I can't wait to jump into it tomorrow. Again, thank you for sticking with it and stomping the purple screen issue! =oD

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Oh my...I didn't even notice it at first. *sniffles* "Dust: AET" under the icon. *runs to grab tissues*

15. NoogyHumbleHearts

Oct 6, 2015
    Colorado
    Good I'm glad it solved your issue :) Like I said that was the hardest one to figure out, mainly because I only have one device with 7 on it and it's a really obscure problem. Have fun!

16. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    Good job bro #☕️#

17. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    I'm almost crying because i finished this beautiful game, and i only have superlative sentiments. Very easy for me to write these four letters, GOTY, without hesitation or a single doubt.

Thank you so much for this great adventure, my dear Dev, and who knows with that final word...Dust?

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I'm only 25% in (after 6 hours) and I'm feeling the same way.

19. NoogyHumbleHearts

Oct 6, 2015
    Colorado
    Thank you, it means so much to me that you enjoyed it :) And yes... I hope that someday those final words won't be so final!

PS... if you enjoyed yourself, please do leave an App Store review!

20. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    What's next on the next patch? Controller support hopefully?