Universal Dust: An Elysian Tail (by Humble Hearts LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NoogyHumbleHearts, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Hi Noogy... Im curious if the MFi controller support can make it to the first update. :)

2. NoogyHumbleHearts

NoogyHumbleHearts Active Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Humble Hearts LLC President, Lead Programmer, Lead
    Colorado
    Sadly Mfi won't be in this first update. That's going to need a lot of new code integration, although I think it should feel pretty natural once implemented. I actually don't own an Mfi device yet... any recommendation?

3. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I have a Madcatz Micro CTRLi and i love it. Afterpad.com and TA made some reviews and they rated Madcats CTRLi highest on their recommend list too, but i believe Afterpad also reviewed a few newer controllers that he found felt better.

4. hbernritter

hbernritter Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Inventory/Marketing Manager
    Toledo, OH
  5. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    I'm not here to sling mud but I'm curious if there is any relation between this game and Swordigo. I'm not trying to point any fingers but the two games are very similar in both game play and level set up. Even the maps are very similar. I also happen to like both games. This one seems to have more depth to the gameplay and a lot more story. I did a little checking online and this games original release date was only five months after Swordigo. I guess what I'm really asking is if this developer had any thing to do with Swirdigo?

6. NoogyHumbleHearts

NoogyHumbleHearts Active Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Humble Hearts LLC President, Lead Programmer, Lead
    Colorado
    Thanks everyone for the MFi suggestions, I'll pick something up.

Interesting, I had never heard of Swordigo. Dust:AET was actually originally inspired by Castlevania, Monster Lair, and Cadash, among others. I started development in 2009 and had the first E3 trailer in 2010.

You can read about the development here: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/180520/postmortem_humble_hearts_dust_.php

7. sobriquet

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    So am I the only one who has made that comparison? Well anyway, moving on. I just started playing last night and Dust is a very cool looking, well made game. I'm enjoying it immensely. I wish you luck with and am hopeful for the next Elysian tail be it video game, movie or book.

8. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    The slight similarity did occur to me before seeing your post, but really both games are pretty influenced by games that came before them, so I see no reason to suspect one influenced the other. I don't think the similarity goes very far anyway. Swordigo is much more focused on platforming, with the combat being very simplistic. Dust seems much more about interesting and fun combat, story, and setting and artwork, with platforming being a minor part of the gameplay.

Subjectively, I got bored part way through Swordigo and never finished it, whereas I've played through Dust more than once on Xbox and am enjoying it on iPad again.

9. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Im pretty sure i have mentioned Swordigo a few times while talking about Dust.

10. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I've just started the game on iPad Air 2 and I can't help finding it a little blurry. I was expecting something as sharp as Bastion, but it looks more like a game not compatible with retina back in the iPad 3 days.
    Oh well, life goes on.

11. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Regarding mfi controller, check out the gamevice if you have an iPad mini. So far reviews have been really good in regards to the quality of the buttons and stick.

12. sobriquet

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    I had a really weird "bug?" Last night. I received a text while playing and the whole phone froze and the screen turned solid purple for a couple of seconds. Then it went back to normal and my text notification came up. Didn't seem to effect anything as I was able to continue playing.

13. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Yep. One time a phone call knocked me out of the game entirely, even though i didn't take it! Takes my ONLY gripe with this game. I actually played through the whole thing again to be it on tough, and I think I got around 120% completion, which is kind of weird. I guess some things are "extra credit."

I guess I can say I was a little disappointed in not finding much difference between the bosses on normal and tough, Kane you can beat just by dusting back and forth in the air...yeah, I didn't find any of the bosses challenging but maybe I was OP with levels and equipment. I appreciate that the bosses don't have "cheap moves" a lot—but I was expecting more by the difficulty description. Is there Much different on hardcore, aside from higher stats for enemies?

14. PCKid

PCKid Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Game Player
    Western Australia
    How do you get through the crawl spaces when you blow something up and it leaves a gap at the bottom. Very Metroid looking where you used to roll into a ball to get through.

15. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    If you know Metroidvanias then you should know that later on you acquire a way to go through those, and that you need to get back to them later. ;)

16. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    You don't, until you gain the ability to crawl through small spaces.

17. sobriquet

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Oh, ok. Can I assume then it is the same for climbing the vines or have I missed something?

18. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It's the same.

19. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    You'll also find places that require double jump, which you also get later.

20. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, crawling, climbing vines and double jumps are all abilities you gain later in the game. It’s a bit wierd but it’s a game thing I guess. The super-human power of crouching down slightly and crawling through a narrow space. ;)