Universal Dust: An Elysian Tail (by Humble Hearts LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NoogyHumbleHearts, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    60fps bebeh. When he mentioned 30fps, i believe it was in something like "30fps wont cut it for this game" or along those lines.

2. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Anyone have tips for the treasure way up high over a bridge in abadi Forrest? (On the map it's below the boss)

I get close but then turn red/get hit. Aside from hitting an enemy in the air, I don't get what it is that makes the dust flying storm shoot up vs going more horizontal. Any trick to it?

3. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    #283 bilboa, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    You're on the right track. You do need to keep hitting enemies to gain altitude. This means you need to get up there while there are still a bunch of those birds on the screen for you to attack. If you run out of birds to attack, just run to the next screen and then immediately back, and the whole flock will respawn. You can last a lot longer if you don't just keep the Y button down, but instead alternate between Y and X, experimenting with the timing to maximize your height gain. Also note that you can steer yourself around in the air. Also, I found when I first went there that I kept getting just high enough to see the treasure, but couldn't quite land on the island. I had to level up and upgrade Fidget to strengthen Dust Storm before I managed to get high enough to land. Then I discovered I needed 4 keys to open the box but I only had 3, so I had to go find another key.

4. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    #284 Solarclipse, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    Hm, I thought leveling up fidget just increased damage. Alternating x and y is brilliant, that should give a little bounce and refill my meter some. I'll give it another try, thanks!

Update: got it; you have to pause after hitting x so that y doesn't trigger the air throw and send you all the way down.

5. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    You may be right about upgrading Fidget. I know that for some reason I was able to make it up to the island multiple times after upgrading Fidget when I couldn't before, but that could have just been because I also got better at maneuvering around in the air.

6. Woodrith

Woodrith Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    First time playing this game and I'm absolutely sucked in! Beautiful game, works great! The touch controls are a little wonky, but the game mechanics and play make it null and void. Loving it thus far on chapter 1!

7. PCKid

PCKid Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Game Player
    Western Australia
    Hate to admit it but I'm a bit stuck. Been wondering how to pass through the crawl spaces ala Metroid. Got to the hidden cove and that seems the only way through. There is only one screen and the crawl space under the tree is the only way through.

8. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    You just have to ignore areas like that until you have the ability to crawl. You will be able to revisit areas with crawl spaces later in the game.

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    And i would like to add:

"... Just like the original metroidvania classics."

10. smiffee666

smiffee666 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 29, 2012
    UK
    Finally, Dust, you are mine, bedtime for the kids now mwuhaha

11. xDiamond

xDiamond Member

Oct 12, 2015
    I must be crazy. I own Dust on the PC, got it for practically free some years ago... never got around to playing it. It's sitting on Steam with 3 minutes played.

Then it came along on my PS4, and again, it was free. Still never got around to playing it.

Now I'm years older and find myself gaming more on my mobile than any other system, and here comes Dust, yet again. So what did I do? Yeah, I actually bought it this time.

And now it's time to play it.

12. kaspalone

kaspalone Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2014
    i played the heck out of this game on the Xbox360. I guess its time for me to try it on mobile.

13. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    I had never heard of this game until the other day and after thinking about whether to get it or not I decided to take the plunge. This game is incredible in every way and exactly the kind of game I have been searching for on mobile.

14. NoogyHumbleHearts

NoogyHumbleHearts Active Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Humble Hearts LLC President, Lead Programmer, Lead
    Colorado
    Hi all, just a tiny update. I'm wrapping up the first patch, which will fix a few minor input issues, some difficulty tweaks, as well as some camera and enemy detection issues. The most difficult bug has been one mostly related to iOS7 users which has been tricky to replicate (where a portion of the screen appears purple). I'm hoping to have this first update out really soon.

Again, thank you everyone for your support, hope you're enjoying the game!

15. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    So does that mean the purple screen will be fixed in this update, or that you haven't been able to fix it yet?

16. NoogyHumbleHearts

Oct 6, 2015
    Colorado
    I'm working on this right now, I'm planning to have it fixed in the update. In fact maybe you can help me out.

Are there gameplay buttons in the purple part of the screen? Do the buttons actually work, or do you have to press elsewhere to get them to register? Does anything happen when you rotate your device (landscape > portrait, and then upside down?). And what iOS version and device are you running? Any help would be appreciated, as it's a really difficult one to figure out.

17. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #297 syntheticvoid, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    iPhone 5 - iOS 7.1.2 - I have never been jailbroken...

I can't even get past the menu. It won't register my tap. I haven't gotten far enough to see buttons. But no, nothing is visible in the purple section. No nothing happens when I rotate my device (unless I rotate it 180 degrees, then the game/menu flips, like all other games do when I flip my device - but still stuck on the menu).

18. NoogyHumbleHearts

Oct 6, 2015
    Colorado
    You'll be happy to know that I'm able to replicate it on one of my devices, this bodes well for a fix. Thanks for the details.

19. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!! Hope it works out... I've been hearing nothing but great things about this game, and can not wait to play it. I almost bought the Steam version, but am really trying to cut back on entertainment expenses lately... maybe after Xmas...

Anyway... thank you for keeping with it. I know I've been a naggy nagerson... sorry about that. =o/
    I can't blame you for other mobile devs decisions... I apologize for that as well. Definitely my bad...

20. NoogyHumbleHearts

Oct 6, 2015
    Colorado
    Not at all, trust me I get pissed off if something I buy doesn't work either, so I completely understand. I REALLY wish Apple made it easier to test older iOS versions on a device. I'll keep you posted.