Universal Dust: An Elysian Tail (by Humble Hearts LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NoogyHumbleHearts, Oct 6, 2015.

1. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Wow!!! Both artworks are fantastic !! Candykiller you have a talent ! NoogyHumbleHearts you are soooo good!

2. JackDibs

JackDibs Member

Aug 15, 2015
    Gamebreaker bug. After starting chapter 2; i get the secret companion or friend w/e and then after killing 5-6 enemys u go down a slope for a bit when Dust starts to say to Fidget: "It's getting really hard to see. Im starting to regret coming down here."
    This convo is stuck and cant be continued or skipped :(
    Tried my save game a couple times to no avail.
    Anyone else had this issue? Im on iphone6.
    Greets

3. JackDibs

JackDibs Member

Aug 15, 2015
    Allright, ive managed to 'fix' it by first not getting the secret friend and moving through the convo, reloading, then getting the secret friend (ducktales kid) and after that the convo also continued. phew.. :) was afraid i couldnt play my fav ios game

4. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Nice work on the comic! And thanks for the kind words about my little contribution, folks. Glad you like it. :)

5. NoogyHumbleHearts

NoogyHumbleHearts Active Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Humble Hearts LLC President, Lead Programmer, Lead
    Colorado
    Really weird, haven't heard of that ever happening. Thank you for the detailed steps you took though, as I'll look into it. Definitely not an iOS specific issue, though.

6. DrlRage

DrlRage Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2012
    I witnessed some seriously big bugs while exploring in the caves. (I'm not sure what caused them) but I'm happy to report I was able to destroy them with some quick combos. I was rewarded with gold (not sure if this is a glitch). The bugs looked kind of like praying mantis. Has anyone else encountered this bug and is there a fix in the works?

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Somebody just won the internets. :D

8. Marcos stein

Marcos stein Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Men, this game is awesome. Easily five stars.

9. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    #######

10. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    wa da f*k dude, you've got some serious crazy skills here! thanks for posting this man. can i use it as my iphone home screen wallpaper? agreed with the dev on sword's detail. thumbs up!

11. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Of course - go for it!

12. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    [​IMG]

[thread=272660][​IMG][/thread] [thread=272686][​IMG][/thread] [thread=272663][​IMG][/thread] [thread=272645][​IMG][/thread] [thread=272664][​IMG][/thread]

Dust
    An Elysian Tail

[​IMG]

is one of the nominees for

Touch Arcade Forums' Game Of The Week

October 8th, 2015

VOTE HERE

***PLEASE NOTE***

1) Developers, publishing partners, or affiliates cannot vote for their own games. If your game is in the poll, you can't vote for it. You are free to ask TA forum posters in your game release thread to vote for your game... but please don't post multiple messages about it.
    2) This voting is for TA members with some activity. If you have to ask someone to create a new account to vote, you're doing it wrong.
    3) Suspect votes may be void.

Credit to AndyC83 for GotW logo & post layout

13. NoogyHumbleHearts

NoogyHumbleHearts Active Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Humble Hearts LLC President, Lead Programmer, Lead
    Colorado
    Win.

Seriously, since I'm already in bug-fixing mode I read this way too seriously before I realized what you were saying.

14. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Started playing it today and enjoying it! Quality game. I wish that the gfx were optimized for retina, it all looks kind of blurry on my iPad Air.

15. Ha don't open that can of worms again.

16. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Hah! I suppose the bottom line is that what counts as "blurry" is subjective. I wouldn't consider it blurry, but rather than try to convince people to see it my way, if anyone reading this thread doesn't have the game and wants to decide for themselves, here are a couple of screenshots from my iPad 4, which as far as I know has the same resolution as an iPad Air. Note that this still isn't a perfect way to settle things, since the TA site resizes the screenshots to a smaller size than I uploaded.

Attached Files:

17. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    The game has low resolution graphics to ensure that it plays well and at 60fps. This was stated by the dev himself in response to multiple comments on the issue. There is no reason to sugarcoat it. It was a compromise that was disappointing but necessary. The game is truly beautiful but not as sharp as we'd all like. Bottom line is - it is still fun and one of the best ports ever. I was even considering getting it on GOG.com.

18. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Agreed, overall, though I don't think the disagreement is out of a desire to sugarcoat anything, at least not in my case. I think it's more an issue of subjective differences in perception like I mentioned in my last post. To me there is nothing to sugarcoat, so I was a bit surprised when I saw people on here criticizing the graphics, and it did seem a bit like nitpicking to me, especially the people saying they wouldn't buy the game because of that, or implying that the developer had screwed up somehow. I did notice when I first started the game that it looked a little less sharp than the Xbox version, but I would have been surprised if that hadn't been the case. Even though the term "console-like" gets thrown around occasionally, I haven't seen any iOS action games that actually are. Either they're a lot simpler than similar console games, or they have much longer loading times and uneven performance, or they scale back the graphics. Some games do all of the above. I'm happy to say that Dust has load times and frame-rate and responsiveness that is just as fast as the Xbox version, so if the dev needed to use slightly lower res graphics to achieve that, I'm happy with that compromise.

And even on Xbox this isn't a game like Forza which pushes the boundaries of the hardware graphically. If you read reviews of this game for other platforms, when they talk about how great the game looks they're generally talking about the art and aesthetics and animation, not how impressive it is technically. I think the resolution of the iOS version is plenty high enough that the visuals don't lose any of their appeal. So that's also why I couldn't quite understand what the fuss was about. I realize though that maybe some people are just more tuned in to the resolution. No disrespect meant.

19. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Not that it matters, but didn't the dev himself say it runs at 30 fps?

20. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    60 fps, from the dev words.