Universal Dust: An Elysian Tail (by Humble Hearts LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NoogyHumbleHearts, Oct 6, 2015.

1. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    You seem to be making a number of assumptions that I'm not sure you're qualified to make. You're assuming it's a fact that the game could have used a higher resolution without sacrificing any performance and quality in other areas. You also seem to be assuming it would have been simple to implement the game in a way that allowed choosing different resolutions and other quality adjustments to maximize performance on many different devices. Based on these assumptions you're expressing puzzlement about why the developer didn't make the apparently easy choice to use full retina resolution while still maintaining maximum performance. I think the answer is simple if you consider that maybe your assumptions are wrong. If you allow that maybe the developer is correct when he says that performance would have suffered if he'd used higher resolution, and if you consider that maybe it would have been a lot of extra work for little gain to make the graphics quality more configurable, then there's nothing mysterious about the developer's choice.

I also agree with squarezero that the comparison with Infinity Blade doesn't work. IB really was a lot more about showing off the device graphics than this game. I do think the art and animation are great in this game, but I think what's impressive about them is the artwork itself, plus the expressive and smooth animation, not how high res they are. I think the resolution it's running at is plenty to show off the wonderful artwork. It's not trying to look photo realistic the way the IB games were.

2. #242 AppUnwrapper, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    What assumptions did I make? I'm going by the developer's own words that he purposely made the graphics lower resolution to accommodate older devices and keep the app size smaller. I made no assumptions. I was simply asking why he thinks that's a better option than showing off the graphics on newer devices. I was comparing it to IB to show what's possible -- that graphics can be adjusted to fit different devices. I even said that I understand if he can't afford to do it the same way. He had said that having the game recognize the device would not be feasible. So I suggested letting the player change the settings. I don't know if he had considered that and was simply curious why that might not be an option.

I was merely asking questions. I was trying to understand why he thinks keeping the app size smaller is a priority, when most console ports are over 1GB.

I don't know why it's so d**n hard to have a conversation on here without everyone getting all defensive. FFS. All I did was ask questions.

3. Milotorou

Milotorou Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    #243 Milotorou, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2015
    Played about 3 hours so far on iOS and im in love with that port, both on ipad and iphone.

4. NoogyHumbleHearts

NoogyHumbleHearts Active Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Humble Hearts LLC President, Lead Programmer, Lead
    Colorado
    #244 NoogyHumbleHearts, Oct 12, 2015
    I may have been unclear, the slightly lower asset quality was to accommodate ALL iOS devices. You're under the assumption that a newer device could run the game at the same fidelity of a dedicated console or PC, it can't. And even it could, I already stated that it was important for me to support as many devices as possible.

It's not that I think it's a 'better option'. It's a matter of me wanting to put the game on iOS, and this is the ONLY way to make that happen. The other option of course would to not bother with iOS in the first place.

We may have different priorities, but I'm finding all these 1GB+ size games to be unacceptable.

5. And_75

And_75 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    L.A.
    Yeah maybe we should all be more clear in our posts. In my case, my doubts on the iPhone 6+ will not prevent me from buying this game on a different platform. I'm just trying to see if it makes more sense to buy it on my PS4 rather than my 6+. But I support this game 100% and I will make sure the developer gets his money.

6. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    #246 eugekava, Oct 12, 2015
    @Noogy , I completely understand your reasoning. I wanted to ask a question though. Some games allow a separate HD assets download from within the game. I remember one of the games was released with low-Rez default settings but you could download high res textures from within the game. Is it something that you could consider as an option for those of us with faster devices who would be happy to try the game with HD graphics? Additionally, the portable devices are becoming increasingly powerful so down the track the game may be run with HD graphics at 60fps.
    I don't know if such option is hard to implement but is worth considering down the track perhaps.

7. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Good question ^. I was wondering the same as well ! I have seen it in a game but I don't remember which one was it. It was when the iPhone 4 and up with the new retina screen was came up and then some developers suggested this way so that someone could download high-res textures, graphics, etc for better experience. This is a good support. And I will definitely buy this game even this month with Playstation Plus Dust is cheaper ~around 4euros. I have bought it for xbox 360 back then but I want to support the developer for this great game to IOS devices !

8. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    i cant believe u gave this game 1 star what a travesty this is for u to come on here mad about it not working ok ios 7 which is ancient and give it a one star ########

9. Ok, thanks for explaining!

10. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yes, I did rate it one star. I did because it doesn't work on the devices it says it will and was initially ignored by the dev. Thank you for pointing out to me that I still had a 1 star rating after having the issue addressed.

11. Milotorou

Milotorou Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    I do understand the reason you made Dust the way it is. But i dont think that all the 1.0gb+ games are unacceptable, while i find some of those could have definitely worked easier on filesize (looking at you TWEWY and FF7) i think for quite some games it is just 100% unavoidable (XCOM, DQ8, Baldur's Gate), those kind of games could never see the light of day on iOS without hitting the 1.5gb mark, let even 1gb, i dont think that makes them "unacceptable" by any means.

Just sharing my opinion on this.

12. tekchic

tekchic Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Female
    Software Developer
    Phoenix, AZ
    I love what you're doing -- your game (and the artwork) is amazing, and I'm so glad that you ported it to iOS! If I get a PS4 in the next year or so, I'll definitely buy it there again so I can play it on PS4.

The 1gb+ games do get annoying to me as well, but mostly that's my bad habit of buying them at launch and never getting around to playing them. Even my 128gb iPhone 6+ is down to 19gb free now. Time.To.Play.Backlog. :)

Just wanted to say thanks for porting this gem of a game, I hope it becomes a "classic" as the years go by.

13. HippoHumper

HippoHumper Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2013
    I have to admit that in the beginning I thought Fidget was gonna rank high on my list of "annoying-as-all-hell-RPG-Sidekicks", probably just under Navi from Zelda: Ocarina of Time but above Slippy from Starfox (I dunno how many times I had to come save this crying toad during a dogfight). But as the game progressed her voice became a lot less annoying and even sweet at times and there were more than a few instances where she generally made me smile if not laugh outright. I think a LOT of it has to do with the superb writing all around but especially for the characters that make up this world and of course the voice actors themselves

14. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I was inspired to create a portrait of Dust over the weekend. Just a bit of fun to while away a rainy Sunday afternoon. larger version here if anyone’s interested.

[​IMG]

15. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Wow! Awesome

16. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    amazing work.

17. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    ########

18. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Probably the best port I've played so far.

19. NoogyHumbleHearts

NoogyHumbleHearts Active Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Humble Hearts LLC President, Lead Programmer, Lead
    Colorado
    #259 NoogyHumbleHearts, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    That's fantastic, thanks for sharing! I'm quite honored :) Love the detail on the sword!

To celebrate the launch, I've also created a little bit of artwork. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

20. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #260 metalcasket, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    You sure do know how to put smiles on faces. :D Love it! Also, It's apparent you're quite passionate about iOS and that's a major plus.

Oh, and brilliant work Candykiller!