Universal Dust: An Elysian Tail (by Humble Hearts LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NoogyHumbleHearts, Oct 6, 2015.

1. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I really hope this thread doesn't discourage people from buying this game. The gameplay is a 10/10 and the story is a 10/10. If you compare to the App Store screen shots, then yeah the graphics are maybe 8/10 but if you compare them to every other game on the App Store they are 10/10. It's a great game.

2. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    It's an absolutely stunning game. I'm actually looking forward to the tilted heads on the train to work tomorrow when I play it on my iPad!

3. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Agreed! I had never heard of this game until it appeared on iOS. Totally worth the asking price.

4. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Reading some recent posts and shocked there could be this much said about the graphics. Regardless if they are slightly less than what you wanted.... This takes absolutely nothing away from the game play and this is a perfect example of what mobile gaming can be.

5. MathFan

MathFan Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2014
    I am curious about the controls for this game. Are they similar to Bastion for iOS? The graphics and gameplay look amazing! I am trying to decide whether to buy this for my iPad or PS4. I would love to hear the opinions/comments from this community. Thanks.

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    What do you game on primarily? I'd say go with the iOS version. The touch controls are implemented flawlessly (nothing like Bastion since it's not a dual stick-type game) and are fully customizable. Like we've mentioned a couple of times already...they're some of the best controls on iOS (and MFi support will most likely be coming in the future, so it's the best of both worlds).

7. And_75

And_75 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    L.A.
    I'm on the edge. It looks like a must buy, but I just switched to a 6s + and i'm worried about the low resolution.
    Anyone can post a video? Don't know if it's a deal breaker

8. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    There are several gameplay videos posted on the first few pages of the thread. Usually YouTube videos aren't at full retina resolution anyway though so I don't know how useful they are for that purpose.

As someone who owns this on Xbox and now iOS, I have to say I'm a bit surprised that anyone actually thinks the graphics on the iOS version are a problem. The game looks gorgeous on my iPhone 6 and iPad 4, and runs flawlessly at 60fps and is very responsive. My main concerns when I saw there was an iOS version were 1) will the controls be good, and 2) will the game still have the fast and smooth character animations and super responsive controls of the console version. I can affirm that the game totally nails it on both concerns. If the dev says he needed to use slightly lower than retina resolution to achieve that, then I'm completely on board, since the smoothness and responsiveness of the controls are vital to making the combat so enjoyable in this game.

9. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    +1 on this. The resolution is absolutely not a deal breaker. It looks great. Don't make a decision based on YouTube videos. I looked at a few and they are nowhere close to the actual game performance.

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    What?

11. And_75

And_75 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    L.A.
    Yea I agree and appreciate the info. But there seem to be a specific problem with the 6 plus resolution which is 1080 so higher than regular iPhone 6. If I had a regular 6 I wouldn't have doubts.

12. What?

13. MathFan

MathFan Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Thanks for the feedback.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I think that you will find very few people on this thread who think the main selling point of Dust is the art. That the game looks good (even without the retina resolution) is a bonus. What blows me away is the combination of gameplay, animation, storytelling, voice acting, controls, and grinning-ear-to-ear fun.

Of course, it's possible that the only thing about Dust that you enjoy is the art.

15. DrlRage

DrlRage Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2012
    I beat the game! It's epic! Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't let you go back and finish sidequests after you beat it. It ends and you can load a save file or start over but you can't continue. I can see why this would be a problem storywise but I want to finish all the side missions and get that kid some snow and find the hidden characters for the sanctuary! Anyone else beat it?

16. Omg all I asked is why someone would sacrifice the quality of their artwork just to cut down on some space. Imagine if Chair decided that 2GB is too big for an Infinity Blade game and cut back on everything instead of showing off what these devices can do.

I didn't say the artwork is the *only* selling point. I said it's the *greatest* selling point. For those who know nothing about the story and never played the game on any other platform, the artwork is most likely to be what catches their attention. I know that was the case for me. I'm enjoying the story and the battles as well. But I knew very little about the story going in, and I find the battles satisfying *because* of the animations and artwork. If the characters were stick figures instead, I probably wouldn't even have given the game a second glance.

Like I said, the artwork is fine to me. I just find it odd that a developer would knowingly choose not to show off his game as much as possible on the latest devices. Really, there's no reason to get so defensive over these questions. And it's ok if some people are disappointed with the resolution, while others aren't. They voiced their opinions. Since when is that a bad thing? Isn't that what these forums are for?

I'm also curious as to why everyone with a 6+ is complaining. Does it look worse there than on an Air 2? I haven't seen a screenshot, so maybe it's a valid complaint?

17. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    #237 Candykiller, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    I completed the story last night and I’m now working my way through the side quests and challenge trials. Just load your last save and you can continue playing the game, but avoid the
    Everdawn Basin (final boss)
    location until you have completed everything else. (you do retain any items you obtained from the final part of the game, so just continue playing from your last save point)

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I didn't say *only* selling point, either. I said *main* selling point, which, to my ears, is very close to *greatest* selling point.

I can't speak to why other people bought the game. Personally, I find the comparison to Infinity Blade kind of ludicrous. Chair and Epic were selling the graphics -- heck, the game was a follow up to a U3 tech demo (Epic Citadel) and it had, notoriously at the time, gimped gameplay so as to not sacrifice the visuals. In contrast, Dust's Saturdat-morning-cartoons graphics are not really that impressive (and certainly not new to the App Store). What got me excited about the game is seeing it in action -- with hundreds of sprites in motion and crazy particle effects -- at a perfectly smooth 60 FPS. That is Dust's selling point, in my view. If the game ended up stuttering or lagging in order to get retina resolution, I would have been very disappointed.

19. Ha ok -- you got me there -- you did say "main."

Anyway, no one here was saying they want the retina graphics at the risk of the game stuttering. What I, and some others, were trying to understand is why the higher resolution was sacrificed on devices that can handle more without losing performance. I find it surprising that he wouldn't want to show off the graphics as much as he can. And obviously they're clearer on PC/console, so it's not like his intention was for it to look retro or anything.

20. NoogyHumbleHearts

NoogyHumbleHearts Active Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Humble Hearts LLC President, Lead Programmer, Lead
    Colorado
    This is the age-old problem of all video game development. Technically no one will EVER see Dust, on any platform, at the resolution that I created it, because that hardware simply doesn't exist. This is true of every video game (outside of maybe those with a pixel-art aesthetic). The majority of big 2D console ports to iOS are running at 30fps and with highly compressed assets. Of course those developers would like to run their games with all the bells and whistles, but it's just not possible.

Every developer knowingly makes sacrifices to bring their work to the platform to perform as well for as many people as possible. It doesn't matter if that's a $5k PC or a portable device. As always, framerate and playability are king.