Universal Dust: An Elysian Tail (by Humble Hearts LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NoogyHumbleHearts, Oct 6, 2015.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Patience synthetic one, patience. :p

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    ^^an art I've yet to master. =oP

Sorry bout that... =o/

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Haha, just to clarify: You did see Noogy's last post, yeah? He's looking into it. :)

4. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Noogy, thank you for your reply!

5. NoogyHumbleHearts

NoogyHumbleHearts Active Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Humble Hearts LLC President, Lead Programmer, Lead
    Colorado
    Trust me, I understand any frustration you may have. I'm on it! And thank you metalcasket, ye beautiful voice of reason!

6. KusanagiShiro

KusanagiShiro Active Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Student
    San Rafael, CA, USA
    Ok in Mudpot the girl who proceeds Reed's quest had a blue/purple screen cover the full screen of my 5S. Noogy if you have a 5S can you play test and see if there are bugs of that sort?

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Can you post a screenshot? I think that would help Noogy a lot.

8. KusanagiShiro

Apr 24, 2012
    Student
    San Rafael, CA, USA
    I don't know how sadly. Plus I panic and close the app when I see that. It's full screen so ya

9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Haha, I try...though my voice could be qualified anything but beautiful. :p

10. NoogyHumbleHearts

NoogyHumbleHearts Active Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Humble Hearts LLC President, Lead Programmer, Lead
    Colorado
    Yeah screenshots would be helpful, although I'm looking into it. I have a 5S and am not seeing the issue. What OS?

11. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    This is the very thing I wish more devs would be inclined to do. I very much appreciate the slight lower res assets to keep frame rate smooth and file size down. If I want high res graphics, or want to see it in better detail than on my phone, I'd definitely fire it up on one of our flatscreen TVs. But for my eyes, this version looks gorgeous! No complaints here.

12. KusanagiShiro

Apr 24, 2012
    Student
    San Rafael, CA, USA
    iOS 9.0.2

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    You can take a screenshot by pressing the power button+home button simultaneously, and it will automatically save it into your Photos folder. It should work for all iOS devices. Then you can attach the photo here, or add it somewhere and link it here.

Hope that helps.

14. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Could you not have used App Thinning via iOS 9 to allow various devices to download the version of the game that their device could handle best. I don't believe for a second that the iPad Air 2 can't run this game at 60fps at a higher resolution that it does at present.

End of the day, the App Store screenshots are somewhat misleading as it shows much higher resolution, full screen images (as shown in previous posts here in this thread). I would perhaps suggest altering the screenshots you provide to show a more honest representation of how the game looks, especially on iPads.

15. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    #215 RebornProphet, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
    I'm the opposite, I'm done with iOS gaming. I tried, I even invested £60 in a SteelSeries Stratus XL and gave up my 360 and PS3 years ago to make iOS my primary gaming platform. As a result I've accepted a gimped, corrupt model for gaming which has been even more evident by the recent spate of premium games being pulled.

I'm actually planning to pick up a 360 and PS3 on the cheap second hand (CEX here in the UK do them for £95 each, that's for a 360 e and and PS3 Slim). I've missed out on years of quality games to give iOS a chance and the combination of lazy developers and cheapskate gamers who will pay £500 for a tablet but not £3 for an app have driven mobile gaming from what could have been, to a reality of F2P, IAP, and downscaled games to suit far too many devices.

16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I like you.

17. Size of the app aside...
    I know detecting the device is probably not easy (Infinity Blade 3 does that, but they're a bigger team with, I imagine, a bigger budget). Instead of detecting, why not options in the settings to choose which device you're on? Or just sliders for effects/sharpness, etc. So maybe the default is what we have now, but those with higher end devices can change the settings to a higher resolution.

I don't know how much higher resolution the Air 2 and 6S can handle without sacrificing performance, but it sounds like they *could* handle more than what you're currently throwing at them?

Again, I have no problem with it as is. It's still a gorgeous game. But if my devices can handle more, hell yeah would I like to see it sharper. It's weird to hear "iOS devices can't handle this" if you're ignoring the latest technology.

And back to size... You'd be hard-pressed to find a console port that's under 1gb, for good reason. (Side rant about Apple still selling new devices with only 16gb of space will be left for another time.)

As for number of people with new devices... Apple sold 13 million 6s/6S+ in just the first three days. And the Air 2 has already been around for a year -- are you also considering that a "newer device"?

Just trying to understand why someone would sacrifice image quality in a game where its greatest selling point is the art. Wanting to keep the app size smaller seems like an odd reason to me.

18. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #218 syntheticvoid, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2015
    Seems ports do get quite a bit of scrutiny. It almost always seems to come from people who say they're sick of mobile and just looking for a reason to go back to their xbox or PlayStation...

From what I've seen, console gamers are the most fickle when trying mobile. It shows in just about EVERY thread of a port here on TA... Whereas mobile gamers usually just feel lucky to have whatever they have.

It's just something we've gotta prepare ourselves for when it comes to ports...

19. shadowgamerr

shadowgamerr Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Living life and Playing mobile games
    Right by your side
    #219 shadowgamerr, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2015
    AppThinning has just gotten out Apple's door, so we may or may not see it used in Dust, for now this is one of the best ports and it proves that an indie does things ten times better than the big companies who only give a flying f about players and focus only on money.

20. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Man this game is good. It's sometimes nice not to hear about something like this and then just get surprised.

So happy right now :)