Universal Dust: An Elysian Tail (by Humble Hearts LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NoogyHumbleHearts, Oct 6, 2015.

1. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I'm using an iPhone 5 but I'm on 8.4.1. It's working fine for me so it might have something to do with the iOS you're using even though the app description states 7.0 or later.

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #182 syntheticvoid, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    Oh I'm sure of it... I'm just curious is the developer thinks it's even worth fixing, considering I'm the only one who's brought it up so far...

I haven't had much luck with devs fixing iOS 7 issues lately... don't expect this to be any different...

**edit**

just to be clear... I don't actually expect anything except for the game to work on the devices that the developer clearly states it will work on. If it's not going to work on iOS 7, require the device to run iOS 8... I don't think it's too much to ask. I know my phone is outdated and I'm running (pretty much) an obsolete operating system.

Yes. I can update. No, I will not as I have hundreds of dollars worth of apps that will not get updated to work after iOS 8 broke most everything. Until I get a new phone, I'm just stuck with iOS 7. But that doesn't change the fact that it CLEARLY STATES that the game runs on iOS 7 and up and doesn't.

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I should clarify that post wasn't directed at you. It was just a general comment on the blurriness issue. Sorry if I came off as singling you out. :eek:

Oh, and I personally don't mind that some games don't have actual screenshots up on the App Store, but the ones with a whole bunch of smaller ones (coupled with copious amounts of text) also piss me off. :p

4. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well, I expected full HD graphics. And I don't mind the higher install size to accomodate this. The blurry scenery I can live with but the characters/animations as well as dialogue images would be much better in HD. To each his own, I suppose. There have been enough people mentioning this so it is an issue.
    If the dev can chime in and let us know if this is something that will get fixed or the game should be accepted as is, I would be greatful. I say again, even with all the pixelation and blurriness the game still looks very good.

5. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I definitely agree. I will absolutely drop $5.99 on this once it updates to HD res, hopefully that comes soon.

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    *sigh*

Developers can never win. You make a game that takes up a lot of space (Leave Me Alone, most recently, for example), people complain about the space. You port a brilliant console game with hour after hour of content that runs flawlessly at 60fps and people would rather it run poorly and take up much more space just so it looks better.

Whatever. Look, at the end of the day, Noogy said earlier in the thread that the framerate was a priority for him. I would totally be down for a graphical upgrade (even if it took up more space, because this is never leaving my device), but not with a sacrifice of performance. Not in a million ####ing years.

7. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    How certain is it that slowdown will happen?
    There is also nothing wrong with voicing comments that may be critical. The dev is not Justin Beiber. I am sure he can handle it. #

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    It's fairly certain that lower-end devices will run the game like shit with a bump in resolution without implementing all the settings options from the PC version. I don't think anyone wants that.

Oh, and critical comments are one thing and "I won't buy this till this happens" is something completely different. Like you said though, "To each his own". Just like you guys are free to voice your opinions, I'm free to call you out on them. :)

9. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    When I'm gaming on my iPad or phone I don't expect a PC or console graphics experience even if it is a port. I would rather still have room on my devices for all the other games I love to play then have this one game hogging all my space. I dunno that's just my opinion but I'm one of those people that loves games that look like they came out the year I was born (1983) too so :p

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    That still looks friggin stunning. The problem is when people start to compare.

I dont think anyone actually complained about their bigmac not really looking like the one in the picture on the wall.

11. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Yeah and in my opinion, the screen shots don't do it justice.

12. Just playing devil's advocate here, but what's wrong with having different settings for different devices? Why gimp the graphics on a 6S just so it plays on a 5?

13. PCKid

PCKid Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Game Player
    Western Australia
    Just want to say a huge thanks to the dev for one of the most stunning and playable games on the iPad to date. Having had an iPad from day one and gone through all models to the Air this is one of those games that gamers say "I want the hardware that plays this game". To be told that it was pretty much done by one guy leaves you, as a long time gamer, in awe. The graphics are amazing and kudos to the voice actors, especially Fidget, they are spot on. This is like the next gen Banjo and Kazooie etc. This game makes me glad I didn't keep my Xbox360 and PS3.

14. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I didn't write that as a threat or to sway anyone to not buy the game. I'm free to voice my opinion just as you are. I have enough space to support larger apps so I'm not that concerned with app size, I'm just not interested in buying apps that don't support the resolution of the 6+. I'm sure it's a great game, and hopefully an update comes to please everyone. If not, I'm sure there will be plenty of other people to buy this game besides me.

15. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    With the iOS environment moving too fast, i'd be surprised if ANY dev would put up their first premium iOS title (port or not) to have that much flexibility.

It's definitely better if we could have those settings scale for each device, but these additions arent free and we all know that putting up premium titles on the appstore is already a huge risk. On top of that, it could also mean a bigger file size to have those extra visual assets.

Right now, what we have is fantastic. The visuals are already beautiful, the game divine. Sure the visuals could sharpen up a bit, and we would all like that, but that doesnt mean the game is shitty enough to skip just because it could still look crisper.

16. NoogyHumbleHearts

NoogyHumbleHearts Active Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Humble Hearts LLC President, Lead Programmer, Lead
    Colorado
    #196 NoogyHumbleHearts, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
    Hey all, been reading up on the comments. Yes, some of the assets on iOS are lower than other platforms (like it or not they are not equal in power to consoles and PCs). Unless I require people to own the absolute newest hardware (ie. a 6S) then there's simply no way to display textures of that size on the platform at their original fidelity.

For me framerate will always be king, and I've taken every measure to ensure that the experience is as smooth as possible. The alternative would be to drop it to 30fps, however it just doesn't work for a game like this. If you honestly feel like you are missing some visual fidelity, then the game is always available on other platforms for about three times the cost.

I apologize if that sounds a bit harsh, but those are the minor compromises made to bring a game of this scale to iOS. I will of course continue to update the game (yes, bugs are unacceptable), but trust me when I say I'm pushing the graphics hardware to the limit in a way most iOS games don't.

This is an valid request, however again, not possible. For one determining the user's device is tricky business, secondly I've worked incredibly hard to keep the file size as small as it is. I don't think anyone would appreciate doubling it just so it works on several devices. And it's important to me that users with older devices can enjoy the game. The percentage of those fortunate to have newer devices is not that high.

17. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Well damn... This sucks...

18. NoogyHumbleHearts

NoogyHumbleHearts Active Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Humble Hearts LLC President, Lead Programmer, Lead
    Colorado
    Regarding you OS versions, I'm looking at that now. I've got some 7 devices here and am not seeing issues but rest assured I'll keep at it.

19. Rain1dog

Rain1dog Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    God that is so refreshing to read. Nice post.

20. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    AHHHH!!! I hate to say it but I was about to cry. Like 6 out of the last 8 games I've bought have not worked on my device... So glad this might wind up getting fixed.

I hope you can find the issue. Thank you for even looking into it.