iPad Dusktreaders Update-anyone try?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by RedStaR, Jan 13, 2009.

1. RedStaR

RedStaR Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    #1 RedStaR, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2009
  2. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
  3. RedStaR

RedStaR Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    yeah thats why I can't dwnld...no signal
    but I saw that it was a heftry update but not to many people liked this game.
    it needed work though.

4. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I heard it was pretty horrendous before. It seems it'd be worth downloading for $1 if someone says it's doable now. Hopefully they'll keep the lowered price a bit longer.

Anyone?

5. Maeks

Maeks Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I'll say what I said in the main Dusktreaders thread (or at the very least, the other Dusktreaders thread): These developers might be too ambitious for their own good. Having briefly looked up the so-called MMO they are developing, it seems to support this thought.

That said, I think I"ll take the plunge for $1. It's only a dollar, and if they truly did fix the problems, it might be worth to play.

6. idespair

idespair Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    #6 idespair, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
    I thought I'd give it a go for 59p. There's the beginning of a decent game here. Whilst the first level doesn't look great, the second level in the graveyard is quite nice, featuring hilly terrain (a rare thing in many FPSs) and decent enough textures and framerate. The models for the enemies and your weapons are quite nice, though your weapon isn't solid meaning that it clips through walls, and enemies do need a bit/lot more animation. I'd advise leaving sound switched off.

Sadly, the controls leave something to be desired, relying on tilt to move around which is great for turning and going forward but horrible if you want to retreat. As far as I can find there's no strafing or control over your targeting - it seems to feature fairly strong auto-aim. It would be nice to see dual virtual sticks and calibration in a future version.

Still, for the money it's a reasonable demo of where their tech may be heading and there's some fun to be had. I hope the developers continue to update it - as it is, I'm happy that the tiny amount of money I gave may contribute to something bigger and better.

7. Maeks

Maeks Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    ^Exactly, word for word what I was planning on saying.

It is playable, and for $.99, it isn't bad. Well, there are worse games in the app store at least.

The foundation is there for a really fun, interesting game, there truly is. But the execution is still flawed, it's still very much beta.

I agree with the controls, retreating is hell, but I'll add this: I like the set up. Instead of aiming via the accelerometer and moving around by some on screen button, you just move forward, backwards, and turn; like old style FPS like Doom. I actually think this might be ideal for the iPhone as it frees up your fingers for other things instead of having to keep them plastered on the screen if you want to move. But definitely there needs to be work done, they need to be more responsive, especially when moving back.

The enemies animations, well I heard they were worse before the update! I can't comment on that, they'd look good if they moved more. As it stands now it's almost like walking through a haunted house, they just randomly pop up out of nowhere with a hilariously awful scream/laugh which gets annoying after the first 2 or 3.

But the worse thing though, is the missions themselves. I don't know what the dev is thinking with this, why would anyone want to play timed based missions? Ditch it, I'd say. It stops being about the enviroment and enemies and more about getting through from point A to B as fast as you can. Not too great an idea, I think, when they could do much much better.

I'd say what this really needs is a dropping of the time based missions and an adaption of a story of some sort. This could be a really fun game, I think it would be a great first person RPG, but the devs need to add more stuff to flesh out the town and story.

I am seriously thinking of sending them an email detailing what I think about it. As I've said, their idea might be too big for their britches, so to speak, but it could work....

But for $.99..............I think it would be alright to spend. Like I said, there are worse games. But don't expect a first person shooter, and don't expect an RPG. Expect a time based mission foot racing game with enemies game of sorts. You can take on the enemies if you want, but you waste time towards your goal. Which is ultimately the point, unfortunately.

Also, there needs to be an options menu. If there is one, I haven't found it. Like I said, beta game right now. If you want to test it out for $.99, go ahead, it's playable.

8. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    You should send them an email. If you don't then they might never know of these things you point out.

It's funny: to gamers things like this seem easy to grasp, but we're looking at it after the fact with different sets of eyes. Most people who are in creative endeavors...sometimes they let the idea that they've got in their head cloud their view of what they actually made. It's kinda like a parent with a bad child who just doesn't see that their kid is bad, y'know.

9. morscata12

morscata12 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    I've sent them a few emails in the past. They are quick to respond and are very helpful. Maybe point them toward these forums so they can join the discussion?

10. idespair

Oct 15, 2008
    Another update popped out for this yesterday or Friday. They've removed the timer, so you're free to explore, and more importantly they've added a virtual d-pad which works really well. Apart from the odd pause it now controls smoothly when turning or moving forwards/backwards - it's actually quite playable.

The levels still feel a touch empty and particularly due to the size of a couple of them could do with a bit more scenery. I can see that they;ve gone for quite an open feel, and yet I think that it might benefit from more tightly focused level design. I've only played through on easy, so I'm not sure if higher difficulties spawn more enemies or just do more damage - I'd hope for the former.

I'd say it's definitely worth trying out now - there's finally a game here that you can enjoy playing, and with a few more updates it could be something fairly special.

11. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Hey thanks for keeping us up with some thoughts about this game. I didn't know anyone had a thread on this. I almost d/l this last night. Bought Rolando instead though. This may as you as get better.

12. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    I downloaded this about a month ago but removed it from my iPhone and iTunes because I didn't feel it was playable. Well, now with the updates it sounds a little bit more interesting, but if I download it will I have to pay for it again?

13. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    There is a TON of lag even after restarting mi iPod. It was never there before.

14. idespair

Oct 15, 2008
    No, iTunes checks your account to see what you've downloaded previously and will allow you to re-download any app (unlike music, afaik).

I've not noticed much lag - the odd pause, but nothing major or that gets in the way of play. That's on an iPhone 3G, just for the record.

15. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    Oh, I'm using an iPod touch, so performance may vary.

16. Maeks

Maeks Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I was pleasantly surprised with the update, it does actually make the game kind of fun. It's still not where I think it could be, but with a couple more updates of this quality, there is going to be a quality game here, especially if they keep it at $.99. (That's a big if I think)

I for one, though, thought the D-Pad was awful, and for about 5 minutes I thought the update had made the game unplayable. I kept trying to move forward but it would slow to a crawl and turn slightly right. The responsiveness isn't that good I think, and it seems like the sensitivity of the D-Pad is cropped somewhat so you can't turn left very easily. I liked the tilt based controls, going backwards is still a problem, but I liked the tilt controls and think they are well suited to a game like this. But after 5 minutes wondering how the hell to change it back to tilt, I figured to end the game and restart and there's a settings menu in the start screen to change it. They still need to add a settings menu in game.

It's also very short, under 10 minutes to play through in terms of the game clock (I spent about 15 tries, 15 minutes or so on the last level but when I finally beat it it was under a minute). But damn, the removal of the timer makes the game SO much better, I know that isn't necessarily saying a lot, but it's more fun to spend time wandering a bit instead of getting frustrated that I have to finish the level in 3 minutes.

I sent an email to the devs after I played through once letting them know what I thought of the update, they are very open and friendly and I think they could really use the feedback from some honest users as opposed to the garbage reviews in the App Store.

This game has a LOT of work that needs to be done, but with this latest update, I think the Devs are starting to get things right and I think I can say that if you have an extra dollar burning a hole in your pocket, you could get some fun out of it. I prefer to think of it as an investment, however, spend a dollar on a game which will hopefully get better before they raise the price. Remember, this game used to be $4.99 and it was garbage.

Now it's $.99 and a decent experience.

17. morscata12

morscata12 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    The additional animations add a lot to the gameplay. Enemies now have a death animation (instead of disappearing) and they seem to be coming from somewhere now. I'm enjoying how the graphics engine handles the environment. In level two, you can make your way on top of one of the walls in the graveyard (very cool).

Updates are coming fast for this game. Hopefully more content will come soon!

18. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Is this just a first person shooter style game? Any RPG elements? And also, how long is the game at the moment?