iPad Dusktreaders - Avoid like the Pleague!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by beldandy561, Dec 26, 2008.

1. beldandy561

beldandy561 Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    tested on 1st gen Ipod Touch 16gig
    firmware 2.2

after waiting as long as I could for someone else to post their thoughts on this game, I decided to take the $4.99 plunge.

What drew me in.
    1. interesting screen shots of a mideavil FPS with kingsfield like combat.
    2. simple control scheme described.
    3. mission based

What you actually get
    1. no music
    2. no sound
    3. a graphics engine that looks good standing still but runs really poorly when more than 1 enemy is on screen.
    3. Enemies have about 3 frames of animation
    4. if you get hurt, screen just flashes red
    5. if you attack screen flashes, (doesn't matter which weapon you use, same flash, and no picture of what weapon it is)
    6. enemies don't move after you, they just stand in the way.
    7. timed objectives that leave no time for searching (AT ALL!)
    8. Busted Acelemeter controls with no ability to change

UTTER CRAP! (NOT WORTH .99)

2. terrett101

terrett101 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Sorry about your bad experience, that's how it goes sometimes when you're tempted but no one has a review up yet. Happened to me with Loot Wars. I think some people were talking about this game the other day in another thread, I'm sure I've seen some of those screenshots before.

3. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Interesting. You seem to be really disappointed, or the game is just bad. I guess you have to have thought that it may be good to be disappointed.

4. beldandy561

Dec 25, 2008
    Software clearly not ready for release

Yes I did get burned.

I consider myself very non-biased but if you are going to charge $4.99 for something, you expect a certain level of quality even for the 1.0 version and this is NOT it.

example of far superior titles
    dragon force - free
    nicky boom - .99
    space deadbeef - free
    chocchocpop - .99

I believe this title should have launched (in its current state) at a (free) listing until it gets major updates to improve everthing it is, and then charge maybe 2.99 or 1.99

This game shows a total abuse of the app store, and its 0 level of quality assurance with what they sell. some accountability on the programers or apples side needs to be implimented so this kind of stuff doesn't continue to happen and paint a bad vibe for the whole App store expereince.

5. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    I tried it. It is actually bad. Hardly playable. I meant to go back and try again, but haven't gotten around to it.

arn

6. akuma7703

akuma7703 Active Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Interactive Designer
    New York and Accra, Ghana
    Tried it on a friends iphone...pretty bad. My boy was pretty upset he spent $5 on it...I thought it was shameless of the dev to release it at that price point because it plays like a pre-beta. Garbage.

7. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Thanks for the heads up, but sorry that you got burned by it. Try to hold off a little more while everyone else here posts up their own experiences, or they link some other review sites up before splashing out. So far, I've bought loads of games on this forum's recommendations, and I've yet to be disappointed. (Games such as: Rolando, Trism, Tatomic, Frenzic, MagicPad, Photogene, Fastlane, Fieldrunners, Warfare Inc, 2079, Tiki Towers and Crazy Tanks. I will shortly be buying 7 Cities once I finish off a game, as everyone's praised it to high heavens!)

8. along123

along123 Well-Known Member

Bleh. I had a look at the graphic and I know this game is crap!

Thanks, to you, it's a confirmed crap. Haha!

I think, when you look at the crappy graphic, alarm bells should be rrrriinnggginnng!

;)

9. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Thanks for the heads up on this game. I'm glad I didn't buy it.

10. Freegoo

Freegoo Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Sorry you got burned, hope you posted a review on itunes as well to prevent someone else from stumbling onto it.

Everyone talks about DS Effects being trash (not that they aren't) but at least when you buy one of their apps you are only out 99 cents.

On the positive, at least you posting here will prevent others from giving the dev another $5.

11. beldandy561

Dec 25, 2008
    Yes I posted one on Itunes, now the waiting begins

Yes as soon as I listed my review here I submited the same one on Itunes.

I really hope that a trend begins to take shape, in that some changes to the App Store start to actually help the buyers before they loose the money and not by saying sorry, don't worry an update is on the way to correct the game so it actually works like I said it does.

I feel like they are saying "hey thanks for your money, Oh you don't like what I made, I am sorry for that but I can't please everyone. te he he." or "well I have your money now, what your still here complaining......... well maybe my next game you spend your hard earned money on will be better.

12. Maeks

Maeks Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    They seemed to have released an update. And it's only $.99 and it DOES look kind of interesting. But only if said update fixes stuff people here complained about.

13. beldandy561

Dec 25, 2008
    Update?

I live in the US and so far all that is listed is that this program has dropped to .99 cents (if you do a search for the game) (but when you click on the listing it then says 4.99), as well as an updated description of the updates for version 1.0.1 in the description section.

The download version is still at 1.0

I assume you are from Europe or another country?

14. Maeks

Maeks Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    #14 Maeks, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
    Well, I AM in a different country, but I use an American account, but yeah, after I posted that they've submitted an update and conveniently mentioned it on the page but haven't gotten it out yet.

The game, to me, does look like it has a lot of potential, except it might turn out that the devs are a little too ambitious for their own good.

EDIT: My choice to emphasis certain words in this post make me come off as a jerk! I'm sorry.

15. beldandy561

Dec 25, 2008
    You got that right!

"The game, to me, does look like it has a lot of potential, except it might turn out that the devs are a little too ambitious for their own good."

I completely agree with that statement.

If they plan on making this playable/enjoyable, they really have a lot of work ahead of them.

16. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Seriously, do as the title of this thread says and 'avoid like the plague'. The game is now only 59p in the UK AppStore so I thought for that price I'd give it a try... it's absolutely AWFUL. The graphics are terrible, the controls suck, the whole thing as a package seems like a very early beta. Why Apple ever gave such a broken, unfinished, downright atrocious app the green light is beyond me. Needless to say, I've deleted the App.