Universal Durango: Wild Lands (by NEXON Company)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by KeKhan, May 15, 2019.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Not an obvious one.

2. DeathProofNinjaX

DeathProofNinjaX Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2018
    Male
    yeah ios users have access to google and facebook. google will work just fine..im using google account aswell because im not too reliant on facebook. And no, there's no ingame download. 200mb is the only thing it downloads

3. archinerate

archinerate Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Only facebook and google is a big no for me. I pass...

How hard can it be to enable Game Center ffs...

4. Lanster27

Lanster27 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2017
    I am trying it now, am up to level 20. The game sounds great but in practise is fairly clunky.

- No automove/autoquest. Quests often ask you to run in one direction for a few minutes at a time. Currently none of the quests are that interesting.
    - Combat is a big issue, as everything seems to be on a delay. For MMO this is acceptable but the dodge does not work. You see the enemy flash yellow, tap dodge, the delay causes the dino to hit you, then you dodge... like what? Who designed this? Maybe it's the latency but I am already playing my regional server.
    - Crafting is meh. Gathering mundane items (sticks, leaves, rocks... you name it) to make stuff, nothing exciting.
    - Dinos you tame early game cannot attack. They follow you like pets.

All in all, will probably uninstall for being just boring.

5. Palanthian

Palanthian Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2016
    I'm reaching this conclusion myself. It started off very interesting, but at level 35 the materials needed for crafting are already becoming very tedious to collect. I can't imagine how much worse it will be at level 60.

The missions are repetitive and uninspiring. The combat is meh. Riding the dinosaurs was cool for the first hour or so, now I'm over it.

I'm looking at the screen feeling devoid of inspiration, I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing, or, more importantly, why. I can level up my weapon crafting and melee skills, but what for if I don't enjoy the combat? What's the end goal?

It's not for me, I guess. I tried Last Day on Earth previously and reached a similar conclusion, I guess crafting games just aren't my thing.

6. NyxTowa

NyxTowa Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 13, 2018
    Female
    Norway
    #26 NyxTowa, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    1. If you want a auto everything game there is plenty of games you can download that plays them self.

why on earth you would want a auto play in a survival game where you drop loot on death is beyond me.

2. Combat is one of the best things in this game i think. Dodge works perfectly if you use it properly. you gotta anticipate the enemy attack to dodge. its not a reactive skill.. you gotta time it.

I have no latency/lag whatsoever. where do you live?

3. Crafting is rarely super exciting in any game

4. Almost every dino can attack (at least all meat eaters) but you gotta feed them or they wont do anything

all that said the quests could do with some improvements

7. Stronsay

Stronsay Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    A long message appeared in game from devs today regarding overloaded servers due to an unexpected number of players, also apologising for resultant combat difficulties. They state that additional servers are being opened and they are working to make the game generally more interesting with better quests etc.

8. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    Having certain fetch quests take your character far out from the town hub is actually one of my favorite parts of Durango and at times those long treks can lead the player into more dangerous territory which, to me, is the original intent of the fetch quest in an MMO. I’ve already aggro’d a few fairly dangerous mobs in which my character “x-com” panicked and ran away from danger forcing me to be more careful and I’ve died a couple of times already.

My first death happened at level 25 while moving through a herd of Raptors. Tried to run when I realized the encounter wasn’t going my way but wasn’t fast enough. For me knowing that my stupidity and not just being outmatched stat wise can get me killed made the exploration much more interesting.

Maybe there’s a happy middle ground but unfortunately most mobile online games condense fetch quests to a fault leading to pointless quests in which the player only needs to walk a few steps from the NPC to arrive at their destination (looking at you Lineage).

“in one direction for a few minutes at a time”

I’m not sure if the unstable islands are randomly generated but from the islands I’ve explored the game goes out of its way to make sure you can’t run in one direction to get to the target area. Durango might be the biggest offender of “taking the long way around” that I have played in a long time. Thankfully various wraps around the unstable islands make life a bit easier and it gives the player incentive to activate those warps since they can be life savers in more ways than one.

I do agree that, as of now, at my level, the quests can use a bit more meat to them.

It took me a while to figure that out. I was doing the same thing, pressing dodge when the circle under the enemy was glowing. After finally understanding that I was supposed to queue up dodge before the enemy attack, which activates the ability for a short window of time (longer with upgrades, I believe). The player needs to time it just right that the enemy attacks before the defensive ability expires. If you mistime the ability and it deactivates before the attack then your most likely getting hit unless your auto dodge chance activates (which is another skill upgrade).

At least that’s how I think it works :confused:. To me combat in Durango is miles ahead of most mobile offerings. Although the tutorial could definitely use improvement since there’re probably many players that are confused in this area of combat.

Stronsay likes this.
  9. Ringerill

Ringerill Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    I have been play it but now that I am level 35, I seem to have reached the end of enjoyment.
    Levelling up is only a part of the game and some might be focused more on the survival/building side and that's fine. But all I see now is the same things to do, only using higher grade materials. I have to repeat the same steps of gathering stones and sticks, craft axes and knifes, gather food and cook it and then wait for the Fatigue to get down to repeat the same process. After I level up, I will be able to put some points into talents to gather even higher grade materials to craft higher grade tools to hunt higher level dinosaurs. The only thing I have problems with is the waiting time for crafting and resting. I wanted to craft a bow to hunt but before I had to process some bones, which takes 20 minutes each. Then I had to rest because my Fatigue was high after all the gathering and crafting. Of course I could pay to speed up the process but I don't want to.

So I am not saying that this is a boring game filled with F2P mechanics. On the opposite: the combat mechanics are well done, the taming of dinosaurs is interesting, the construction of you base if complex and filled with many different kinds of facilities. The graphics are gorgeous, the sound and music are really pleasant.

I just don't see the point in advancing in the game. If it is just to unlock higher stats items to gather higher level materials to hunt dinosaurs with more HP and Attack and then process the loot spending more and more time waiting, I feel like the fun will disappear quite fast. I don't know if there are some high level unlocks like team hunting for big dinosaurs, some special events, some new quests, or anything that will change the pace of gather/process/craft/rest/gather/process... At least I don't feel like there is paywall but timers are a killer. I have to wait 6 hours to build the lowest grade house, I don't want to imagine how much it will take to build a higher grade one. If there was no Fatigue, then I wouldn't mind all the timers because at least I could be doing something while waiting. But when I spend 20 minutes farming and then I have to wait for almost 30 minutes to get my Fatigue down to do anything else, it becomes a strange way to play.

10. NyxTowa

NyxTowa Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 13, 2018
    Female
    Norway
    Built a max size house

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    That is quite impressive. I’m at level 37 and the best shelter my character can build is a barracks.