Dunnit! - An OpenFeint enabled To Do list with Push Notifications

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Runloop, Mar 1, 2010.

1. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I have bought most of the Todo apps in the appstore. I'll have to wait untill I have either Google, Toodledoo or Outlook. Too bad it looks very slick.

2. Runloop

Runloop Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
  3. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I posted for one..My friend could use it haha :p

4. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    It's a cool app Runloop, and it's a unique idea. I love OpenFeint as well, and it's cool to see it in an app. (coming from a fellow dev)

5. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I'm definitely in the camp of people that believe having OpenFeint in an app like this is kind of a waste, and definitely comes off more as a very cheap way to reel in a certain audience and gain some fame for its uniqueness.

But that being said, it's an interesting idea. And as you said, having a weight-loss app or fitness app that had achievements would make a lot of sense... so maybe bringing this app out there, and gaining said fame would actually open the doors to people testing the waters of such fitness apps with achievements.

Good job on the app, regardless of how I feel about its practicality :p

6. dreamcaster

dreamcaster Member

Mar 6, 2010
    how does this work??

7. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    I don't really see the difference between this and weight loss app.

Dunnit! doesn't reward people for completing tasks. Frankly, we have no way of knowing what users have done. In the same way a weight loss app would have no idea how much someone weighs. Dunnit! rewards users for using Dunnit! It rewards them for entering tasks. It rewards them for using the app for 5 consecutive days. It rewards people for being productive.

We could have developed yet another kind of reward system rather than use OpenFeint. But really, what would have been the point. OpenFeint is established and is already proven. There would really be no point reinventing the wheel there. And yes, OF has a large audience, of course that is a part of it.

This kind of rewards system is common in gaming. But I believe we will start to see it more and more in regular applications. It makes people feel good when they have accomplished something.

8. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
  9. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    Let me just put that on my to do list...

Followed and retweeted, @thesporkwithin

10. Muscat

Muscat Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I actually think this is a pretty interesting app. There is a whole body of research regarding the roles of extrinsic and intrinsic motivations in completing tasks, so having OF in a TODO list is an interesting interpretation of the idea. Obviously some people will game it for the Openfeint points, but I doubt that this is who the app is aimed at.

Of course there are also studies that suggest extrinsic reinforcements actually decrease the persons intrinsic desire to complete the task, and can cause them to enjoy the task LESS as its a means to an end... but ANYWAY I digress :)

11. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    If you could provide links to such studies we'll throw you a promocode.

12. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    This honestly looks pretty sweet. I wouldn't mind being rewarded for things I do in life. I remember watching a youtube video about that once...

Someone should tell zincous about this.

13. Muscat

Muscat Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I cant seem to find the specific article I was thinking of right now, but in the mean time, here's some interesting related articles:

Chris Hecker argues that extrinsic rewards destroy the intrinsic motivation to play a game.

Ian Bogost argues that shallow rewards, both extrinsic and intrinsic, reduce people to incentive driven obligation as opposed to autonomous decision making.

There is an absolute TON of stuff on scholar.google.com to be found as well:

http://scholar.google.com.au/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=2000&q=extrinsic+motivation

Hope some of these are interesting and useful to you!

P.S. The irony of me responding to your request for links, backed by the promise of a reward is not lost on me :D

14. Maciphone

Maciphone Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Good icon)))

15. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    Thank you. We're very proud of it.

16. Still promocodes?

17. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    Yep, these are the last 3.

Go wild!

F7AHAWPX9MJN
    3LPNT4KPRJKT
    T444TNL6LH9T

18. I wish you hadn't have done that while I was at school :p

19. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    You might get lucky

20. GadgetGuru72

GadgetGuru72 Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2009
    I've seen studies in both directions as well.

The studies that suggest extrinsic reinforcements actually have a negative impact on the desired task typically show that people begin to engage in the task for the reward, not for the benefit of completing or enjoying the task.

The most common example is encouraging young children to read. If you tell your child that if they read 10 books you will take them out to get pizza, these studies show that in many instances the child will read *ONLY* for the benefit of getting the pizza, as opposed to learning or the simple enjoyment of reading.

With a "to do" list app, I think having an extrinsic reinforcement could be good in many instances. For example, if your task is to "pay cell phone bill," there is no inherent joy in paying your bills, and you may be inclined to procrastinate. However, if you introduce an extrinsic reinforcement to that task, you might be more willing to get it done.

Personally, I think it's a good idea.