Dungerous

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by jptsetung, Jan 6, 2015.

1. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    I would love to do some beta testing, too.
    iPhone 5 and Air 2

2. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    This is every bit as fantastic as when I first played it about a year ago, I'm utterly addicted and now I've passed it on to my wife as well!

I'm really interested to see what it will be like fully polished and finished as it's already one of my favourite matchers of all time.

I've had a few issues with the game locking up at random moments, which is easily rectified by force resetting the app. Even better is the fact that you don't lose any progress when that happens so it's not too painful. Spotted a grammar error; not sure how much you're interested in these at the moment but when Hectar joins your adventure he's described as being an "experimented fighter" where I imagine it should be "experienced".

Absolutely wonderful so far, thank you for the Testflight invitation!

3. jptsetung

jptsetung Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Wow, thank you Pete, I will post this on my walls :) (I'll send the money through paypal as we agreed).

Yes it seems there is an annoying crash/freeze bug on iOS, I will fix this as soon as possible.

And yes I absolutely take all grammar mistakes and typos feedback. (None of us are native english speaker.)

4. slothwerks

slothwerks Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Installed it yesterday -- really impressed with the polish so far! I did run into a bug, possibly the 'freeze' bug, on my iPad Mini 3 on iOS 8. In the first dungeon, I used the arrow tile to damage a goblin. After that, I tapped the goblin to strike him with my hero. Once I did that, my hero became stuck on top of the goblin. At that point, the game became unresponsive - UI, tiles, etc... were all frozen. I force closed the app and started again (progress restored), but the app still becomes unresponsive whenever I try to interact with that goblin. I might try reinstalling, which I'm sure would fix it.

Looking forward to trying it more though, it looks amazing!

5. jptsetung

May 27, 2009
    @slothwerks Hey, thank you, I just updated the build with a fix for the "freeze bug". Interested to know if it works once you've upgraded the game (just for my understanding the testflight system, did you receive an invite from apple for the upgrade?).

[edit] another question, did the app crashed on first launch (as many reported) ?

6. slothwerks

slothwerks Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

I'll give it a try in a bit and post here if it works. And yes, I did get an invite notifying me that a new version was available about an hour ago.

Did not get the crash on first launch.

7. vicsark

vicsark Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    #47 vicsark, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
    Hey JP, sorry I didn't play a lot yet. Kids and work, a new Xbox One and damn Capitals from NimbleBros took my time.
    Je vais m'y mettre, promis!
    For now, very impressed by the polish and apparent deepness, I expected a much simpler game ;)

8. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
  9. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Is beta still going on?

10. jptsetung

May 27, 2009
    Thx guys for asking. The game is not definitely abandoned, but I've lost my motivation. I've been making games with passion since 2004, and I've abandoned almost no projects, so this is a serious problem I think. I don't really know what happened. I've realized that very few people would play the games I'm making. I think the experience with my previous game Micro Miners is part of the problem. I've spent 1.5 year on a game that was played by a few people, and I don't think I can do better than this.
    I'm so sorry for the 2 artists who worked with me (on this game and another one I was working on). And I really want to complete the games for them, but I don't know if I'll find the time and energy.

11. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    Please finish this one! You couldn't pick a better time, during this desperate era of finding match games that capture the greatness of dungeon raid and fighting against the King sweet tooth juggernaut.
    Your videos and screenshots are very promising!
    I hope you don't give up.

12. Alex Wolf

Dec 5, 2010
    Sorry 2 hear ;(
    I hope things will turn out wel for u !!

13. Bigperm9

Bigperm9 Active Member

Jun 12, 2012
    At some point in life we all run into walls. Rarely do the great make it on the first try. If we all gave up because we didn't succeed to our greatest expectations, I'd wager we wouldn't have a lot of the marvelous inventions you see today. My point is that micro miners was a great game. This one will be too. It may take a while for all to appreciate it or it may turn into something that takes the world by storm. You never know. Life is pretty unpredictable. At any rate, know that you have a fan base here, that we eagerly await your next game, and that even if it never comes, we still wanted it and we probably never stopped wondering about it. Take time to rediscover inspiration and maybe you'll find that you still have a passion for development. If you're passionate about something, then don't give up without a fight.

14. jptsetung

May 27, 2009
    Dungerous in 2017, we can do it!

Some news about the game. So just before the end of the year 2016, I started to work on it again. Now I'm working seriously on it, I hope for a release in 2017. The artist is still here and I hope he will make a few more assets.

Now for the bad news. I've never managed to decide myself on a business model. It's clearly suited for a premium model, but premium on mobile is a suicide today except if your game is called Minecraft. So the bad news is that the game will be free. Is this really a bad news? Well I added artificial timers to avoid the paywall (Super Mario Run taught me that...). Those timers hurt a bit the user experience IMO, even if technically speaking, it's not really different from a premium model, you just need to buy the premium in app purchase to remove the timers, but still, it's a bit annoying.

If you want to know the details, the business model is 4 free heroes (enough to play for a while already), and 3 premium heroes. Those 3 premium heroes will be free too (to avoid the paywall), but you need to wait 10 minutes each time you want to wake them up. I think it's fair, you can play 1 hour or more without the need to wake up a hero (if you play well). But it will also give the impression that those 3 premium heroes are not necessary for the game, which is not true, you should use them if you want a chance to win. It's maybe possible to win with the 4 free heroes only, but that would be VERY difficult. I never tried it but that could be a nice challenge for the advanced players.

15. fatkit

fatkit Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    #55 fatkit, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Glad you are back and the game is still alive:) So basically the business model is same as mario run? Single iap for full premium unlock? Thanks and all the best!

16. jptsetung

May 27, 2009
    I wanted to make a paywall at first, but I didn't realise how much people hate this until the SMR story. The problem is that there should another category on stores "free to try", or maybe they could integrate those "free to try" games in the paid section. Because people are expecting games in the free category to be f2p model, and they feel cheated when they meet a paywall.

So contrary to SMR, you can play the whole game without paying anything. Through timers (I would say 10 minutes every 1+ hour on average), or through skipping timers with video ads, or through purchasing the full version in-app purchase.

17. Alex Wolf

Dec 5, 2010
    Great news ! :) happy
    New year m8

18. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    Welcome back and glad to see you're going to finish this. I'm re-excited!
    I don't blame you for the business model. It will be great anyway.

19. jptsetung

May 27, 2009
    I forgot to post the short video I made about the team selection and how it was a bit modified by the business model choice.

20. TheSwarre

TheSwarre New Member

Jan 11, 2017
    #60 TheSwarre, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Nice to see the game still being worked on!

Sadly mobile games work by annoying you until you cave in and pay, having such a generous timer will give you better reviews but with lower income from the payment-model. The model does depend on your expected income, if you plan on living on this game (sadly a challenge for anyone not named KING or SuperCell by this point) I'd sadly have to recommend making the game harder to play for the free user.

I just want to politely point out that most mobile games are played for 5-15 minute intervals, so the current model may not restrict any users, and therefor not incentivise them to pay. Then again, i can't really comment on the payment-model until we have seen it in action.

However, In the end I do believe you picked the best model for the user, which does give regular, more hardcore users an incentive to pay for the premium heroes.