Universal DUNGEONy - (by Korigame)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Korigame, Jun 14, 2014.

1. As a fan of roguelikes, I really want to like this game... the art style is great and the pacing is nice but i have many questions when i play DUNGEONy. First off, there's no tutorial, so i just jumped into the game thinking, "oh, it's probably pretty intuitive"...Well, I've done about 6 or 7 rounds so far, all as the knight character and with each run, i employed the same basic strategy of attempting to kill every enemy in the room. My success has varied from dying on the 2nd floor to making it all the way to the 3rd world, and i still have no idea what the risk vs. reward is here... which makes me think there is something totally off balance or otherwise the game is based solely on luck.

if i had to guess, i imagine the element of strategy here is to figure out what order to kill the enemies or know which ones not to mess with until you're strong enough to kill them... but there's no stats on anything besides how much attack and defense power you have. Sometimes, for example, i'll fight a scorpion (which appears right at the beginning of the game) and take no damage from it and then later on, i'll encounter the same guy and it will take HP away even though i'm supposedly stronger. It seems pretty arbitrary and I'm not sure i get it. Does your endurance level also affect how well you perform in a fight? What determines when an enemy will counter-attack you? What am i missing here?

2. Korigame

Korigame Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Winterstation,
    You're on to something there :)

The purple bar is your stamina. Collect those little glowing potions to replenish your stamina level-to-level. Your stamina levels affects your accuracy. So If you have full stamina, you won't miss as much; otherwise, if you're low, you'll miss a lot.

Each level your stamina is reset to full. So a part of the strategy is to manage how much stamina you use getting to the exit, as killing each enemy, walking, or performing other actions, lowers your stamina.

As for your attack of defense stats, your attack power is basically chosen from a range of 1 to your max attack - which might be, say 4. Likewise your defense level will soak up some of the enemy's damage in the same way.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions. I rather liked omitting the tutorial, in the hopes players would enjoy figuring things out on their own.

3. Ok, knowing what that stamina bar does is really helpful towards what decisions you make in the game... i assumed that when it reached zero you just died or something. a simple "you'll suck at fighting when this bar is low" might be a good little heads-up to include somewhere...

also knowing that you don't necessarily do your exact attack damage value each turn is helpful too... I'm not sure if most other roguelikes have that feature (and if so, i just haven't noticed it) so i was confused as to why sometimes i could kill enemies instantly and other times i'd take damage first.

4. Korigame

Aug 29, 2013
    Glad that clarifies a few things :)

As for when your stamina is super low, there actually is a little bit of text at the bottom of the screen that comes up (sometimes), informing you that your stamina is low.

Thanks for playing and being involved in the discussion!

5. Korigame

Aug 29, 2013
    Hey,
    Rather than start an entire new thread, I'm just going to drop a couple promo codes for DUNGEONy here, I think it's appropriate.

Let me know if you get one! :)

3444RWXYMKYM
    KHT7EMMYKFPY

Cheers,
    Korigame

6. wyzau

wyzau Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    #46 wyzau, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    both gone, not a single thank you :(
    too late again i guess

7. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Took KHT7EMMYKFPY thank you. As far as I'm aware the first code is still available.

Just had a 5 minute dip in so far and I'm impressed. The sounds and graphics are top notch and the gameplay is fun so far. Of course I will need to play a lot more to get a handle on the mechanics properly. I will make a more in depth comment after I get chance to play properly. Loving it so far though.

8. Korigame

Aug 29, 2013
    Thanks a lot bigred!

9. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    The first one was redeemed by a non-thanker ninja

10. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    lil bit late to the party here. seems like an interesting classic rpg. can someone who already play this game sum up all the review? :D

11. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    This game does have some strategy to it in terms the route you choose, which enemies you attack, when to bomb and shorten your route...

The music and graphics work well together and make tk a pleasant experience.

But in the long game, I don't see much holding my attention. The classes only differ in starting stars so far as I can tell, so there isn't any variance in strategies. And there isn't Any reward carrying over from one game to the next. This can be implemented I. So many ways, such as cardinal quest 2 has done or dungeon plunder. This could lead to unlocking classes for example.

Also, if you are playing this and stop and come back to it a while later, you lose your game. At least I did, on a 5S.

12. Korigame

Aug 29, 2013
    Thanks Solarclipse for your compliments and suggestions!

As for losing your save, the game is more-or-less designed to be a played much like Spelunky or The Binding of Isaac, you commit yourself to a run until you win/die.

:)

13. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I enjoy the game very much and am still discovering the ins and outs :). I do understand the play until you die principle but I also think it is very inconvenient , I can only play in short bursts ( commuting, taking care of the children, break at work ) so I never have the chance to have a full run now and that is a bit of a letdown. Still like the game though :) just expressing my personal sentiment

14. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    You should probably consider changing this. Those are not mobile games, and this is. Many people play in short stretches throughout the day. Pretty much any mobile game where a single play through can last more than 1 minute needs a save function. I'm not saying save points that would allow you to return after dying, just autosave when you close the app, or every floor or something, then resume from there when you next open the app.

15. irettillib

irettillib Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2013
    I downloaded this game hours ago and still haven't put it down.

Dungeony oozes charm across every category.

16. Korigame

Aug 29, 2013
    Wow thanks irettillib. Glad you're enjoying it :)

17. pighetti

pighetti Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Hi! I look forward to getting this but I need to get another card#. (If you remember, I'm @pigadox on twitter#)

18. Korigame

Aug 29, 2013
    Maybe if you're quick pighetti, you can grab one of these :)

Thanks again to everyone complimenting DUNGEONy - or making suggestions!

YKPR6FW6H44T
    WLX4EKTJ9JRR

19. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Thank you so much!
    WLX4EKTJ9JRR

20. theonetruejm

theonetruejm Active Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Sweet! Thanks guys! Awesome game! YKPR6FW6H44T