Universal Dungeons of Evermore (by Daniel Nations)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Sonicx

Sonicx Active Member

Feb 26, 2011
    I am only using one character. Died now 5 times :-( and had always the error

2. havlen

havlen Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2014
    I take that back on the video. I looked up how to do one and it seemed rather easy. Keep in mind that I wiped my characters when it was released so these are 4 lvl 1 adventurers. I used the Show Powers menu at some point just to show some power descriptions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fURsHNlWrE4

I'll try to reproduce the dying bug.

3. BillyOceansBlues

BillyOceansBlues Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    A few things:
    1) This game CHUGS. It's probably my hardware (iphone 5), but on a successful hit, it's a good 3-5 second freeze before the damage is calculated and the enemy is shown as dead. Also, there are similar freezes when plotting a party member's path on the grid. Wondering if anyone else is having this issue.
    2) Why would the shop only have things you sell to it? If I'm selling it, that means I already have something better. Can you please explain this decision and how it is supposed to be useful in any way? Like it's only a thing to sell items to in order to get $? Nothing about buying/upgrading or anything like that?
    3) When I choose a quest, the briefing - little bit of story that sets the stage - is only up for like 1 second at most. I don't have time to read it! Gotta have a touch to dismiss option there.

4. havlen

havlen Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2014
    I tested against an iPad Mini which has the same processor as an iPad 2 and didn't see any major performance issues. This is basically the same processor as the iPhone 4S.

I've noticed a slow down as you approach the end of the dungeon. I'm going to change up the way I do some of the drawing to help with that and to help with lag in fogged areas.

The store is mainly there to sell items. Gold being used to train characters, it's important to be able to sell them I thought populating it with items other characters sold to it would be interesting.

The briefing that pops up as the dungeon loads is basically a repeat of the information you get when choosing the mission. The main reason it is there is because it will take a second or two for the initial area to load. You aren't missing anything there.

5. Noomen

Noomen Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2014
    Why does it say free here when it's $2 on the App Store?!

6. Styrixa

Styrixa Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2013
    PA, USA
    I wonder the same thing.

7. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    3 pages and no review come on guys

8. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    I'm actually having performance issues as well on an iPad air. As I get deeper into a dungeon I get massive slowdowns for combat and revealing unexplored spaces/rooms. It's so slow at that stage that I lost the motivation to go on as everything is delayed a good few seconds for each action you take.

I haven't played since the update though so no idea if it's been improved yet.

9. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Think App Store had a brief glitch is my guess.

10. havlen

havlen Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2014
    The update was actually from before Christmas. The app store shuts down for a week or so during Christmas. Just small updates.

I have a new version submitted that should improve performance. Initially, I drew the whole map and moved it around as you explored. This worked well enough for Endless Depths and Endless Nights. It seemed to get laggy, so I switched over to drawing partial map around each character that extends about 4-5 tiles beyond what you can see on the screen and moving the partial around as the character moves. This should both speed things up overall and keep performance better as you explore.

The new version also has a new mission type that pregenerates the dungeon instead of generating as you go. It also has terrain attack mods that I forgot to put on the patch notes. Basically, if you are standing on a column you'll get +1 AC, if you are standing on a statue you get -1 AC and if you are standing on ruins you get -1 Attack. This is because you can use the column as part of your defense, the statue limits your movement, and the rubble can cause balance problems.

11. havlen

havlen Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2014
    The newest version was just released. It contains a new class: The Elementalist. The class does mostly fire and ice damage and has the ability to summon an air elemental.

I also changed the warrior class up a little. I took away slam and massive blow and added block and defend. Block gives you a chance to block incoming blows for a round. Defend will let you attack anyone that attacks you for a round. You attack before they do. It's good for running into a room when you can quite make it into melee range. This combo of abilities should make the warrior slightly more defensive and a counterpart to the adventurer.

12. havlen

havlen Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2014
    I made it free for the day, so good opportunity to download it today for those on the fence.

As a reminder, the game is based on rpg *board* games, so the rpg elements are dumbed down a bit. If you haven't played a game like Temple of Elemental Evil I recommend one. They can be fun. But definitely RPG-lite. Still, makes for a good strategic game.

13. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    @ havlen

Hi there. Was wondering if you could help - been trying to download your app today which shows as 'Get' on the App Store, but every time it begins to download, I instantly get message pop up saying "This item is currently being modified. Please try again later." Any ideas? I'm in the UK and the app is definitely showing as free - been trying since around 16:00 GMT (approx 6hrs ago). Thanks - really looking forward to giving it a go, will happily leave constructive (and hopefully positive!) feedback.

14. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    So the price has gone back up to £1.49 and as far as I can tell, it couldn't be download the entire time it was free....bit harsh! #