Universal Dungeons of Dreadrock (by Christoph Minnameier)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Feb 12, 2022.

1. DoctorFunfrock

DoctorFunfrock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2022
    :) :) :)
    i hope so too ^^

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I’ve played it through in it’s entirety once, then immediately a second time, and then two more times to write a walkthrough.

I freaking love this game. ❤️

I do have a question though, and I guess some quality of life suggestions:

Level 89. Are you meant to be able to outrun a fireball? Because I’ve been juking it by teleporting around it. Any time I try to run for it, it doesn’t work. The hint seems to imply that it should work…

- I would love to be able to mute the music/sound.
    - level 100 doesn’t have a menu button, or any way to exit the level that I can tell. I’ve accidentally gone into it a bunch of times and had to force-quit the game to restart and access the level select.
    - I kinda wish “savegames” was called something more like “level select”. I know that it’s far more than just a level select screen, but I didn’t immediately click that I could go back and replay levels until I literally went through every menu. Maybe that says more about me though. :p

DoctorFunfrock likes this.
  3. DoctorFunfrock

Feb 13, 2022
    Thank you so much for your support!
    I just linked your guide in the google play store description.
    It doesn't show up yet, but I guess it will soon. :)

As to your remarks, I'd love to add / reconsider these features, but currently I need to use my spare time for PR and next the steam build.
    I'll get back to your ideas once this is done.
    There's nothing like the advice of someone who loves the game already.

Echoseven likes this.
  4. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    That’s incredible, you didn’t have to! ❤️

And those were just my thoughts, you don’t even have to agree with them!

Just remembered another:
    In level 42, you can skip part of the puzzle entirely. Instead of using the top-right portal, you can just stand on the pressure plate at the bottom-left, aim the portal up, and throw the stone from there.

If you put a pillar or something in the way, then we’d have to engage with the entire level.

God I love this game. I’ve explored every single corner of it and I’m thinking of replaying it again… best of luck to you!

5. DoctorFunfrock

Feb 13, 2022
    Well no but I think it's great, thank you for putting so much work into it!
    Damn, I reworked that level so many times to be compact and good looking that I totally missed that ^^.
    Gonna fix asap!

To everyone:
    I really wonder why no one here ever mentioned the dead knight with the shovel, does he not look familiar to mobile gamers? :)
    Also there's an easteregg in level 51. :)

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I was 110% planing on mentioning how genius that was, but I guess I forgot!

7. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Well I’ve not been on here for a few weeks and I just popped back onto the thread to say that this is probably my favourite game of the year so far (on any format) and it seems that I’m late to the party.

I can’t really add anything else to the thread except to say to the Dev thank you for this. It’s exceptional.

Echoseven and DoctorFunfrock like this.
  8. DoctorFunfrock

Feb 13, 2022
    Wouldn't be a good game without you people who play and appreciate it. Thanks! :)

9. Ghostdog1

Ghostdog1 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Unlike any others here I have very mixed feelings about this game. I was hyped when i started the game. But for me the terrible swipe controls destroy all fun. I switched to my xbox controller just to find out that its not really supported. Only the left stick is functioning and this makes the game harder as it is. Why not make use of the d-pad on a controller - you only have 4 directions in this game. And no other button works.

I stopped playing in lvl 21 because the controls are so bad. The solutions to every lvl so far have been easy. Knowing what to do and dying because the controls are bad is just frustrating. Maybe in the future the dev will make controller support.

Right now i don‘t recommend it.

10. DoctorFunfrock

Feb 13, 2022
    Hey Ghostdog, I was just about to get sentimental about not getting any new message on TA forums, now I read this and I gotta say..
    fair enough. :)
    I have not actually been review bombed (4.5 stars on iOS now at 40k downloads) but you're right:
    while some reviews say the controls are "tight" some users are getting mad at me about them and it's definitly fair to say that for most they are the game's bottleneck.

I am currently working on making gamepads configurable and i'm thinking about adding some kind of virtual dpad (but I assume this has to wait until I released on steam). The problem with the DPAD is: while analogue sticks are just identified as axis and there's little confusion about them, the DPAD is actually just 4 buttons (that are identified differently on different controllers). That's why i can't have it work out of the box (yet).

11. DoctorFunfrock

Feb 13, 2022
    so DPAD might work now - is anyone here interested in checking out build 1.07 in internal testing? :)

12. Adbul

Adbul New Member

Apr 7, 2022
    I know I'm late to the party, but wow, this one is a real gem. The level design is really ingenious and creative. I do agree with a lot of you that the controls are a bit finicky though.

I urge anyone who is interested in clever and lovingly handcrafted games to try this one out!

13. DoctorFunfrock

Feb 13, 2022
    Thank you very much. :)

I'm so busy with work and family, and this game (steam and switch release) *but* i still hope to provide a digital DPAD once since settle a bit.

14. Coffeeboy

Coffeeboy New Member

May 21, 2022
    Male
    I purchased Dungeons of Dreadlock from Nintendo eshop for Switch. I’m disappointed it doesn’t support the pro controller. I don’t play games without it. Hopefully that will change!

15. DoctorFunfrock

Feb 13, 2022
    Hi coffeeboy. Sorry for that missing feature, i simply didn't know how important that is.
    The good news: i have a patch implemented already. The not-so-good news: it has to pass Nintendo's sometimes lengthy submission process. I guess it will be live in 1-3 weeks.

16. Coffeeboy

Coffeeboy New Member

May 21, 2022
    Male
    That’s great news! I look forward to when this happens!

17. DoctorFunfrock

Feb 13, 2022
    by the way (i am not sure you're aware) it's playable in docked mode with the default controllers.
    and as DPAD is probably the only thing you need most of the time, it's not so bad..

18. chriskeysbeats

chriskeysbeats New Member

May 30, 2022
    Male
    Hello DoctorFunfrock — thank you for making this game! I have tried looking online to see if this has been reported anywhere but I am wondering why when I use WASD/Arrow keys on iPad keyboard my character moves twice. It’s making it difficult to get through the game, and I really would prefer not to swipe if possible! Thanks again, and hope you have a nice week.

19. DoctorFunfrock

Feb 13, 2022
    Hi Chris. That's weird. Are you playing on some kind of emulator? Like bluestacks?

20. chriskeysbeats

chriskeysbeats New Member

May 30, 2022
    Male
    No emulator! Downloaded from App Store. iPad Pro (2019?) and an Apple keyboard/stand. WASD and Arrow keys both all count as two steps. Swiping works, but it’s inconsistent for me personally (I mis-swipe a lot). Just thought I’d let you know here. I’ve tried restarting the game a few times, and disconnecting and reconnecting the case/keyboard. I’ll restart the ipad just in case. If it fixes it, I’ll report back!