Universal Dungeons of Dreadrock (by Christoph Minnameier)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Feb 12, 2022.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Christoph, you could have easily followed in the footsteps of every single puzzle-esque game on the App Store and introduced a single new mechanic every 25/50/whatever levels and played it off like it was some big deal, but instead you built a WHOLE flippin’ smart, unique, interconnected adventure game. I absolutely believe you when you say the Playdead games were an inspiration.

Oh, one more thing: I would LOVE to see this remade as a 3D dungeon crawler in the future!

DoctorFunfrock likes this.
  2. DoctorFunfrock

DoctorFunfrock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2022
    Thank you for your repeated support.

I am a huge fan of Dungeon Crawlers (my favorite was Menzoberranzan) and I *LOVED* Legend of Grimrock (both parts), but I actually think
    - i couldn't make a better dungeon crawler than LoG, it was a huge inspiration for me
    - DoD wouldnt translate well to first person

it was on the contrary quite a challenge to create something that uses traditional dungeon crawler mechanics but shift the perspective to top down, because LoG is equal parts combat+puzzle+exploration and perspective + input restrictions esp. for mobile implied from the start that puzzles would have to dominate. the challenge was to keep the other two parts in the game.

have you played both Legend of Grimrock 1+2?

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I have! I own them both on multiple platforms and it sucks Grimrock 1 on iOS never got updated to bring it up to speed with modern devices (and 2 never made it here). Oh, and don’t get me wrong…I absolutely wouldn’t want DoD any other way (and understand the limitations and whatnot). I should have stressed on how far in the future. :p

Frenk99 and DoctorFunfrock like this.
  4. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Completely agree that this game would never work in 3D since a puzzler, but oh man the idea of you doing something even better than LoG?! Sign me up now!

I was bummed when I completed that game. Just bought Dungeon Legends 2 and am hoping it scratches that itch. Haven't played it yet because this game and the new Door Kickers:Action Squad DLC are sucking up all my play time!

5. David1953

David1953 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    #85 David1953, Feb 18, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
    How do you access the cheat code to skip a level? I can’t get by the Minotaur in level 19, since my character is too slow and the Minotaur is too fast. I’ve only been able to lure him into one of the traps.

Oh, I got it! Once I figured out the move and charge patterns of the Minotaur, it was too bad at all. I was ready to tear my hair out in frustration, and of course I was cursing the controls as well.

6. DoctorFunfrock

Feb 13, 2022
    Thank god no one gave you the cheat. :)

7. David1953

David1953 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    I’m sure that you’re going to enjoy Dungeon Legends 2 as well, houseofg, and it’s evident that it’s a labour of love. I did run into a couple of problems, but the one person developer is truly awesome, addresses any issues right away, and is great with communicating with our community as well.

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    And just like that, my game is over. :) 10/10, instant classic.

9. DoctorFunfrock

Feb 13, 2022
    I just found that DoD is now featured on iPad, yay, thanks for all your kindsm words, bug reports and criticism and support! :) :)
    And thanks TouchArcade for having me in their fancy feature list of top Games all the time, I'm sure that helped a lot!

10. kopicha

kopicha Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    in all honesty you totally deserve it.

DoctorFunfrock and decript like this.
  11. DoctorFunfrock

Feb 13, 2022
    damn.
    i assume you'll have to load the level before and wake that person next to the campfire in case you didn't.

12. mbabull

mbabull New Member

Feb 19, 2022
    I’d like to report another bug that doesn’t allow me to go through (I’ve also faced the one with double sword which apparently made couple of levels easier - but cheat console helped in that case).
    It’s with level 90 (Lake Of The Dead).
    When I drink the potion (I try to do it either downstairs and upstairs but doesn’t make any difference) and go upstairs to get killed by fireball, I’m getting restarted at level 89. The goblins get revived and the potion again lies on the shelf.
    So far I just skipped it with cheat.

PS. Love the game!

13. DoctorFunfrock

Feb 13, 2022
    Hey if I read this correctly it's not a bug.
    You remember that skeletons are irreversibly killed by fire?

mbabull likes this.
  14. mbabull

mbabull New Member

Feb 19, 2022
    Fair point! I was so sure that it has to be fireball that I forgot there was a spike trap in a corner Now it works!

15. mbabull

mbabull New Member

Feb 19, 2022
    Just finished the game. This is best mobile game I have played for a long time. Almost every single one of 100 levels is an unique riddle (you have to be fast too ). Great adventure! Looking forward for next games
    Good job

16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I realize this is ridiculous to ask having completed the game, but can someone spoiler tag me the solution to the final boss fight?! LOL I thought it was
    light related
    but I guess not!

17. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    You’re close.

You need to hold out till morning by prolonging the fight. You can’t not fight at all though, because that’s how you get annihilated by the big bad boss himself. Watch the eyes: once they start flashing red that’s when you need to hit the wizard and draw some blood. You only need to get three or four hits off before morning comes.

18. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Oh wow, that is incredibly subtle, @DoctorFunfrock. Incredible!

Oh, and of course, thanks bud. <3

EDIT: One more “Incredible” in case I haven’t said it enough!

19. mbabull

mbabull New Member

Feb 19, 2022
    That’s clever!
    Although I finally found out that the key was not to kill the elder too fast (previously I tried to kill him just near the fireplace where Dead King spawns hoping I could attack him) but haven’t noticed those eyes flashing
    Fights against bosses (even smaller ones like minotaur or ogre) were generally very well designed. You had to be clever and fast every single time.

20. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    This is one of those games that stays in history and is used as a major reference by both players and devs either when they are reviewing similar games or when they make one. This game made history. Congrats dev. One of the best games i have ever played on a mobile device.