Universal Dungeons of Dreadrock (by Christoph Minnameier)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Feb 12, 2022.

1. DoctorFunfrock

DoctorFunfrock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2022
    uhm...
    sounds like you are there on your own?
    if so, please load (via menu) the level before and replay that.

2. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Yes...
    I'm alone....I know there was a guy spelling in the previous floor but could't help him.
    Also, the game doesn't let me go back....so I assumed it was fine....generally if you need TWO floors to solve a level the game lets you go back and forth...
    Thanks, I'll revisit my strategy!!!

Anyway, the game is absolutely FANTASTIC.

DoctorFunfrock likes this.
  3. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Ok I think I'm at the end...obviously I do not have a clue about what to do but...
    This is my surprise of the year.
    So many glorious moments....

I *THINK* I'm at the end but I lost count of the actual number and...
    I'm outside with no means of reloading previous level
    I killed both guards where there was my brother and now if I kill the elder I die, if I slit blood after a while I die....I always die....but sure there is something to do...I'm trying to get the lighting in every spot just to be sure.

4. DoctorFunfrock

Feb 13, 2022
    Thank you I'm glad you liked it :)
    This time you did all right no bug.

In case you want a (rather vague) hint:
    You're in a fight.
    You don't stand a chance.
    You can't run.
    No one's coming to help.
    What's the only option?

5. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Just completed the game (before reading your post :)

It was frigging awesome and I feel I robbed you. Loved everything from the graphics to the awesome sounds and dubbing but most importantly the gameplay.
    One thing that really impressed me was 100 puzzles with almost no repetition at all, all engaging and with the perfect difficulty.
    Highly recommended.

Your next game is imminent right?
    A prequel, a sequel, a sci-fi setting, ANYTHING.
    I need it now.

6. DoctorFunfrock

Feb 13, 2022
    #66 DoctorFunfrock, Feb 16, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
    haha thank you very much. hearing that feels awsome. :)
    I'd really love to make part 2, but if, when or to what extent that will be possible (in terms of time & money) will depend on the game's success.
    So far, I'm positive. :)

7. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    #67 houseofg, Feb 16, 2022
    Ok level 41 is friggin killing me! I've not seen this one discussed yet so I'm not sure if it's just me!

This is the one with two zombies on your side of the gate and an arrow guy on the other, plus two plates.

I know that...

... You just kill the first zombie, but you need the other one to be your pincushion and absorb the arrow guy's ONE arrow. But the damn zombie is so slow that I can't wait long enough to get him over to the right into line of fire before I'm the one "catching" the arrow because I still have to go down two squares and over to get out of the way.

What the heck am I missing?

I somehow managed to get the arrow guy on my side of the gate once and got his arrow myself but then I was stuck without a way to exit, so I don't think that was right...

Edit: Haha. Never mind. I knew that after posting this the millionth time would be a charm, and sure enough.. on to 42.

8. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Guys, the dev could REALLY use everyone's positive reviews. The game is sitting at 3 stars which is a joke for this masterpiece (though I must say I have likewise cursed the directional control every so often!).

aussiepaul and DoctorFunfrock like this.
  9. sharfaust

sharfaust Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2013
    I can’t tell you how often I’ve cursed the directional control! If they were tweaked or on screen control was implemented, some agony might be prevented.

aussiepaul and DoctorFunfrock like this.
  10. DoctorFunfrock

Feb 13, 2022
    #70 DoctorFunfrock, Feb 16, 2022
    Hi, thanks for your input, here are my thoughts on the topic (in case you're interested):

I think controls will always be a bottleneck on mobile, for some genres more, for others (e.g. turn-based) less dramatic.
    Remember this is a real-time game where every input counts - for a 'usual' roguelike dungeon crawler (no grid) or a twin stick shooter a few pixels of movement to the left or right don't matter.
    So even a hardware gamepad analogue stick (which is way superior to any touch simulation) is imperfect here, the DPAD would be preferrable.

When you say "on screen control" i assume you mean a DPAD kind of solution (like in the fabolous Legend of Grimrock, e.g.) but with the huge range of devices (and aspect ratios) there is hardly any good position (e.g. on ipad) where I'd put this. I considered making positioning dynamic but on a small phone any virtual dpad will cover too much of the screen imo.
    So I went for a dynamic position virtual analogue stick (without visualisation).
    I did actually take a bit of an effort to make these controls intelligent:
    E.g. when you drag to upper right and there's a wall above you, you'll move right, not up.
    When you move along corridor (right, e.g.) you can change your drag direction (to down, e.g.) and the character will keep moving until there's a crossing that allows you to move downward.

During development I realized that these features are almost impossible to communicate to the user though, many people would use single swipes even for longer runs in the same directiom. "The Chase" is supposed to teach you to keep touch and hold direction but still not everyone gets it.

All that being said, the development of the whole game besides my day job was a huge undertaking and I had to compromise on certain parts.
    So I guess when things calm down a bit, I'll consider what I can do to improve controls!

11. kopicha

kopicha Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    thanks for the lengthy write up. I think the control in games regardless of genre can sometimes be subjected to preference as well. There is no perfect solution. But in general I always feel nothing beats real physical control which can either be a game pad, joystick, KB/M and etc. No touch control beats that in most situation. Of cuz there are still some minority of games which work extremely well with touch than physical control. But that is really on the minority side.

Personally I do not have any issue with the control in this game. Appreciate the dev taking the time to actively address concerns raised.

12. sharfaust

Jul 1, 2013
    Obviously, a physical controller will work best. If controller support is not an option, in a game where the slightest error means death and restarting a level, a control option where I can see where to touch to give a desired movement instead of guessing, could avoid frustration. I’ve died numerous times in this game where I’ve moved in a way in which I did not intend to move. That’s all I’m saying. Just having the movement control on screen as an option for some players would be helpful.

13. DoctorFunfrock

Feb 13, 2022
    i wasn't trying to oppose your opinion, if that was your impression, i just thought I'd share my thought process that led to the current (imperfect) solution.
    by the way if you have a bluetooth controller, i think that should actually work. the buttons are not (yet) configurable so that might come out bad, but if you have one you could check. thanks again for your feedback.

sharfaust likes this.
  14. sharfaust

Jul 1, 2013
    I do have one. I’ll try it when I get the chance and will report back on my findings.

15. Avocado Avenger

Sep 15, 2021
    Thank you for such a detailed response, with workarounds to permit me to continue playing (although I could probably be just as entertained replaying the game until a patch is released).

There is absolutely nothing to apologize for, and frankly, we should be grateful for such a dedicated, responsive developer. This is, as I previously intimated, an excellent, compelling game in all of its facets, and fills a niche sorely lacking in the App Store. It's humorous, intense, and worth far more than the IAP is asking. Again, my gratitude for your reply.

16. sharfaust

Jul 1, 2013
    So, for those of you with Bluetooth controllers, the left stick will work to control movement and attack/use items in the environment. If you would like to try an alternative control method. At least, Xbox controllers work. I can’t speak about any others.

17. aussiepaul

aussiepaul Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2013
    #77 aussiepaul, Feb 17, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
    I think particularly with small screen 'sensitivity' slider in options.
    This may not even be possible, but would be nice.
    Still loving the game.
    Congrats Christoph your 5* in the Aussie App store .

18. jyhjyh

jyhjyh Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Denmark
    #78 jyhjyh, Feb 17, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
    What a clever and creative game with beautiful graphics.

I only miss that I can turn off the music - but keep the soundeffects.

Sorry, the music is fine - but I always turn off music because I get distracted by the music :)

19. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I’m on Level 71 now and…

1) I’m amazed at how quickly some of y’all have finished the game. How many hours were you playing in a single go?!
    2) Crazy game. Just flat out crazy how it keeps reinventing itself.

20. DoctorFunfrock

Feb 13, 2022
    Thank you, remarks like this keep me going :)

metalcasket likes this.