Universal Dungeons of Chaos UNITY EDITION (by Volker Elzner)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VolkerE, Jun 7, 2016.

1. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    #61 stubbieoz, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    This!!
    I have both this version and the original version and also found the spells and how to acquire/train/use/update them, really unclear and confusing.
    I am only beginning to understand them now after countless hours of gameplay. Even so I am still unsure if what I think about spells is really correct.
    And I am no new comer to computer rpg's having played them since the late 80's.
    I like my games to have lots of stats and info and complexity but the spell system in this game almost blew my brains apart. o_O
    Don't get me wrong, I really love the game and I am sure one day the penny will drop and I will have that "oh now I get it" moment, but atm it is still something that eludes me.

2. tjb

tjb Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Aww, I finished the game. Sadface. I want more!

3. VolkerE

VolkerE Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Have you checked the 'what to do' bucket list on page 5 of this forum? Plenty of things to try out!

4. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

Spells

Upon repeated request, here is a summary of how SPELLS work in DoC:

- your party will know some spells, and not know others. ‘knowing’ does not mean you are proficient in them in any way (yet)

- the party will know some basic spells from the start, because everyone has heard of them or seen them in practice. Again, this does not mean everyone can cast them.

- if you find a spell book of a previously unknown spell, the spell becomes known to the party. Known means the picture and description will appear if you select it in its spell group in the ABILITIES -> SPELLS section

- if you know a spell, and a player has talent points to spare, in theory he can spend one to improve his spell proficiency in that spell, assuming:
    a) his class cap for that spell isn’t already exceed by him. A cleric can learn the spell magic missile, but he will never be really good at it. Just not his cup of tea.
    b) his spell proficiency has not already reached or exceeded his magic lore skill. to STUDY a spell via talent points means to improve what you are doing, and that requires knowledge about how the fabric of magic and this particular spell works. Most spell casters can be trained in this, but some better than others. Studying magic extensively is the speciality of wizards and geomancer and to some extent priests.

- if your proficiency is at least 1, you can cast a spell. All spells are displaying their ‘level’ in roman numbers. Simply to visually get an indication how powerful you are casting the spell. Roman I means proficiency of 1-9, II means 10-19, VI means 50-59 and so on.

- when you cast spells, you will eventually get better at them. How fast / how many practices it takes is different for each spell and I won’t reveal the exact figures. I don’t want spells like magic missile that work on auto to go up in proficiency every other fight. That would make it too powerful too quickly.

- the class max limit does NOT apply for learning by doing, you can always become a FREAK in your class by doing things others in your class don’t normally do. I am yet looking forward to someone dedicating some time building a druid with a “divine widow maker of shock” (a ranged weapon) with a ranged weapon skill of 99, casting HASTE at spell level 10 and basically knocking an army of golems out of the park in a matter of seconds. Possible, yet quite a task to complete …

- NPCs can also sometimes give you knowledge (and sometimes starting proficiency of 1) in a spell. I think holy smite and holy plasma gets awarded by an NPC from memory.

- on class change, all classes gain a few proficiency points in either new, or existing skills or spells that the new class is specifically good with.

Happy casting!

5. subgenius

subgenius Well-Known Member

May 30, 2014
    boss healing evectiveness

First off, let me say this game is a freaking gem. I've been having a ton of time with it the last few days. One thing I'm curious/frustrated about though is the level of self-healing from some of the boss enemies. Is this connected to the difficulty level (bigger mana pool and higher level spell or something) or on a script based on their HP threshold?

I've been able to punch through them all eventually by timing rages and other damage abilities for when they're down to 20% health or so, but the ancient dragon is giving me fits. I think I saw him heal something like 8000hp in one shot more than once in a single fight, and it just slogs out to be an attrition fest that I eventually lose. Recently I upped the difficulty from hard to very hard to Sparta! though since it was getting a little too routine. Is this an effect of that change, or something I just have to suck up?

6. subgenius

subgenius Well-Known Member

May 30, 2014
    Aaaaand of course I kill him 5 minutes later :)

At least stooping to lowering the difficulty level wasn't needed. What a fight!

7. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

Well, essentially I have an HP setting and an HP regen setting for each monster, and on top of that I can given them HEAL abilities that recharge over the course of the fight (or not), or use the monster's mana (or not). So I have all the tools to try and make each monster encounter unique and challenging. Seems Like I got the balance right. ;)

Difficulty does increase HP of monsters, and the regen setting is a % setting so he will regen the same % on higher difficulty but the % will apply to his higher base HP. So fighting mobs at higher difficulties is tougher in many regards, one of them HP, one of them regeneration, and also many others (damage calcs, crit hit chance etc., your heal spell output, almost everything I scale somewhat to difficulty).

8. tjb

tjb Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Yeah but not with the same party.

9. Cyrus_the_fighter

Jun 8, 2016
    Okay, I have to ask..

That blue Berserker-looking sprite on the title screen, that's not the Warrior class, is it? I thought Berserkers are red.

10. blebhertz

blebhertz Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    wow, i'm really impress with this game. The depth in this game is incredible.

11. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    #71 somedumbgamer, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    Awesome game!

For those finding their party to be successful in the long run, I'm wondering what combination of the 6 classes people are using to start off, and what classes are people changing to later in the game?

I tried fighter, barb, ranger,cleric, rogue and Mage. Not sure who I'll switch later.

12. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

Berserkers are not colour-defined per se, the berserkers you meet when you get introduced to the guild have many different shirt colours. But yet, the final (uniform) I decided on for player berserkers s red, correct. I chose that because they tend to use RAGE and red is the colour people usually associate with that. That title screen is not an in-game screenshot, I wanted to have a zoomed in view of a lot of different elements you will find in the game, they are usually not all cramped in the same spot like that.

13. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

Thanks !! Please spread the word. :)

14. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

#74 VolkerE, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    v1.1.20 update

v1.1.20 update being sent off to stores now, ETA for Android 2h, for Apple 24h as it is just Sunday morning in California.
    Changes:

- fixed a bug where you could end up with no party sprite upon map exit and quick click
    - fixed issue with mage getting an insignia with non-mage spells
    spawned chaos kempa will no longer flee if spawner clone parent is defeated
    - fixed typos
    - made it harder/less likely to get more than one skill/spell increase in the same skill/spell in the same fight
    - fixed dynamo electric damage not working in some scenarios
    made sure the “you died” teleport sound only plays when you just died
    - skills and spells granted by insignia that the wearer had zero proficiency in before, now work and show up in quick actions (if a slot is free)
    - now hard, but possible (and tested) that skills and spells can be raised beyond the class cap, via usage
    - NIMBLE skill now only improves if there is a meaningful attack on you (not just being engulfed by a vortex’ wind)
    - weapon attack style choice now works when you reach the last one. used to not display anything as array was checked beyond its bounds
    - samurais don’t flee combat. matter of honour.
    - when the last player dies but others have fled the battle before, no longer teleports you to Parnosz as if you had all died.
    - you now lose some XP when fleeing from combat. when some flee and some die, they get different XP loss. when some die but you win fight, winners get XP but dead players get no penalty.
    - healing hand can no longer be performed on yourself (you have a dirty mind...)

Hope all goes well. if you had issues around any of these please check now if they are gone. in particular insignia granting previously unknown skills or spells (remove and equip again) or where you reached max weapon attack style (just enter screen).

15. blebhertz

blebhertz Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    I'm a little surprise with some many combat options, switching weapons is not one of them. What is the rational behind this? at the very least maybe give it to the ranger to make him more playable

16. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

problem is it causes too many exploitable issues: should it really be possible to pack away a sword and shield and get out a 2h axe when you are surrounded by monsters? So I would need a routine to come up with plausible vs. implausible scenarios where it would be allowed. then there is the issue of time: switching weapons gives an advantage potentially but should I let the player take up time and be inactive for a while. But that would make it appear like a long an deadly wait and make the user unhappy about the player being bashed while waiting to be active again.

And also the issue of why just weapons? switching rings with various resistances would be also be useful and desirable.

It opened up too many instances where I would have had some good balanced rules in place. So I decided to leave it out for now. Not to say it won't come in the future though.

17. Cyrus_the_fighter

Jun 8, 2016
    Lol I was just worried my lithe Ranger was going to morph into burly lumberjack in his future.

18. HardCompound

HardCompound Member

Mar 12, 2016
    As I expected, this was totally a case of user error. Thanks so much for your help! You've built a beautiful game#

19. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

good to hear it is resolved! And glad to hear it runs ok on that device overall.

20. vapourtrail

vapourtrail Member

May 7, 2009
    Like the game, reminds me more of Magic Candle maybe more than any other game.

Few things:

World seems pretty empty.
    I would like if towns would show up as a purple square on the world map like caves, dungeons, etc.
    I keep dumping stats in Identify on my Mage but I just never seem to be able to identify anything non-basic. She's over 40 now in identify. Same with lock picking.
    Still confused about spellbooks and how to actually gain actual ability in certain spells... And then how to hot key them.
    I have a straight archer, but it's a little odd that he requires much more strength to use most better bows than dexterity. At first I was like why can't I use this bow, my archer has 15 strength and 22 dex? But the bow required 17 strength and like 13 dex. Different but odd.
    No real retreat. Been in some battles where I'm waay over my head after strolling through a dungeon multiple levels down easily destroying every thing in my path. At one point I went into a desert(?) and had no choice but fight like giant ants 6 times in a row to where my party was just about all dead and it seemed like a glitch,

I'm running a classic party: Sword&Shield tank, 2H berserker, Archer, Rogue, Cleric, Mage. My tank isn't very tanky even tho I've built him to be. He gets into battle much slower than my berserker and rogue and tends to get hit much more often than either of them. 2H berserker in leather armor just hits soo hard and gets hit much less. Almost pointless to have a tank. Cleric wasn't doing much at all for a while but now with chant he's more useful than just heals and exorcisms.
    Still haven't been able to hot key or use any new spells for my spellcasters. I figure I'll get it at some point but I'm just not understanding at the moment.