Universal Dungeons of Chaos UNITY EDITION (by Volker Elzner)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VolkerE, Jun 7, 2016.

1. VolkerE

VolkerE Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

neither is wrong, those choices will just play differently. A barbarian with 25+ strength can do some serious damage and stun, but if you spend the TP on weapon proficiency and rage skill and shoulder bash, then he can be a more versatile and accurate brawler.

Str and Dex is quickly useful if you encounter a high end item, other than that skills are usually the best investment in the early stages.

2. snarvid

snarvid Well-Known Member

May 20, 2013
    Just to clarify from your response - is spellcasting speed entirely divorced from the speed stat? Because starting with Ignite in a 2 Druid 1 Wizard party is so tempting, but Carrie's speed penalty is a beast...

3. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

yes it is. casting CARRIE will feel ok, everything else an IGNITE birth feat person does apart from spells will be quite slow.

4. snarvid

May 20, 2013
    As someone who really likes planning out a party ahead of time, I would appreciate being directed to more in-depth wiki resources than I've found so far. The game page has a nice overview, but doesn't, for example, tell you what different spell caps are for different classes, or even whether some spells are available to some classes at all. We have the sense that the priest is a better healer and the exorcist has better anti-undead bonuses, but there's no information of which gets, for example, Holy Plasma. Which, in turn, plays back into starting party composition - if I'm going to end up with a priest then I can consider whether I can run a monk instead of a cleric for a little added oomph in melee, but if I want exorcist I have to start out with a cleric.

Also, I've found a series of gameplay videos that tell me where to find various guilds, but they have a lot of gameplay spoilers in them. If I'm just looking for guild information, is there a gathered single resource?

5. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

There are useful hints for classes, skills and spells and many other things HERE: https://dungeonsofchaos.wordpress.com/wiki/
    which I can certainly expand with some info on who is most proificient in these. But I don't think I can explain various advancements paths in all their detail, that is something to explore. Apart from the samurai guild the guilds are not hidden, but they are settled in certain points along the main storyline's path. Are you wanting their location announced earlier, or the benefits of each class made clearer?

6. snarvid

May 20, 2013
    Yeah, I've definitely been there, it's what I thought of as the "game page."

I'd say "both", although if I know that they're all clear as you go through the game it's not a big deal to know exactly where they are. I'd been finding quite a bit of Knight/Warrior/Berserker exclusive armor earlier in the game and was wondering if I missed something, and the game kinda throws 2-3 leads at you early on the second map but it isn't clear how long you'd have to wait if your preference was not one of those three.

I would definitely still like to know more about the classes, though. Again, Exorcist vs. Priest - it's clear from the Wordpress page that the Priest has better heals and the Exorcist has better anti-undead spells, but it's not clear whether, say, Healing Aura and Resurrect are Priest exclusive or just that Priests have a higher cap. Likewise for Exorcist and Holy Smite/Holy Plasma (although I'm just assuming that, it's not ever spelled out, those just seem like anti-undead spells). Who is better at Divine Favour? These questions and more!

Or this - Rangers are said to have "almost exclusive" access to weapon swap. Well, if I want to be having a hybrid ranged/melee combatant, what is my non-Ranger option? I'd guess Samurai and/or Warrior, but those are just guesses, and the Samurai's inability to run away freaks me out. I'd hate to run Fighters in hopes of getting weapon swap off Warrior and be wrong about it.

That kind of thing would be solved with a list of skills/spells per class - even if it doesn't show exact levels, something on the +, ++, or +++ scale would give the kind of data I look for when considering party builds.

7. snarvid

May 20, 2013
    Also, why can Warriors use so many insignias from other combat type classes but Priests can't use Monk insignias even though they can promote from Monks?

8. Hppysprm

Hppysprm New Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Just a quick question

Ive been playing off and on across several devices and I must say I love it. I have yet to beat it the first time as I have made it to the castle several times but have ended up restarting.

My question is in regards to the achievement Searching Bears Fruit. Just curious, but are the achievments groups seperated by islands. Just acquired the orb and I have 10 of the first 11. Ive circled the island more than 3 times and I believe ive searched all the available caves (including the gnome burrow). Am I missing it or jumping the gun.

9. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

the orchard is IN the smuggler village on the starter island. the farmer has fruit trees. hope that helps. ;)

10. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

some of those backwards links are meant to represent whether someone 'gives up' a previous path. A priest is either not coming from a monk background (cleric) or giving up his monk lifestyle to become a priest.

May not be consistently applied but that was my logic initially. :eek:

11. Hppysprm

Hppysprm New Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Wow, I greatly appreciate the prompt reply. SMH Ive walked past it twenty times. Beautiful. On to the castle.
    I want to say thanks for a truly unique game. I love the fact that you can play it anytime, anywhere, and not worry about having to connect to a network every 20 seconds, or go broke on the holidays to get that exclusive upgrade before it expires forever. Kudos and congratulations on a fine app. :)

12. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Just bought the game. Very much looking forward to trying it out! All the impressions and feedback in this thread, together with Volker's engagement here made it an easy choice - main question was whether I'll ever have the time to play through it.

Happy holidays everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. snarvid

May 20, 2013
    Ah. It is super harsh for the monk/priest, though - with a cap of 65 for unarmed from the monk, with insignias usually capping out at +8-10, and with Final Strike coming in at level 76, I gained only about 7% completion of next prof point in the 10 Priest levels I grabbed after being something like a 20th level monk. I just kept my old monk insignia equipped because, given how slowly I was gaining prof %, there was no way I was going to try to pick up an additional +8 unarmed.

On that note, it's also harsh to cap monk unarmed training before they can get final strike, but that's another issue.

In any case, trying a cleric/exorcist on my next playthrough, given the limits of the monk in melee and the profound mana limits they run into compared to a cleric.

14. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    So can Rangers promote to Marksmen? It looks like there is conflicting info out there saying they can, or alternately, they can't because something else was planned for them...

Awesome game.

15. snarvid

May 20, 2013
    I can verify that Rangers can promote to Warriors and Marksmen. In my experience, the former is more useful - it's nice to be able to fire off a few shots and then switch over to a top tier two-hander with Weapon Swap, and there seems to be so many more skills for a Warrior to master (Shoulder Bash, Rage, Taunt, Harden, Tank Stance, Dodge, Nimble, a Weapon Skill, Determination, Sprint, No Escape, Repulsion) than a Marksman (Ranged, Flame Arrow, Determination). There are a few killer bows that Warriors can't use, but there's still many choices for them.

16. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

Thanks! Please spread the word :)

17. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

It was forbidden but recently I changed it, it should be allowed now.

18. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

Thanks, you too! If you find the learning curve too steep, go with the default party and check out the facebook page / wordpress blog wiki / reddit page. Fans and myself can always point you in the right directions.:)

19. snarvid

May 20, 2013
    Can anyone point me to how the Exorcist upgrades over the Cleric? I'm looking for what kind of offensive spells they pick up, anything besides Holy Plasma that Cleric doesn't have?

20. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

he can get low levels of IGNITE, HASTE etc. which makes him very versatile. But you would need to make some effort finding the respective spell books (or insignias).