Universal Dungeons of Chaos UNITY EDITION (by Volker Elzner)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VolkerE, Jun 7, 2016.

1. VolkerE

VolkerE Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

2. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

AGENTS OF DEATH spinoff update:

fresh off the block minions stumbling across a full 6-man party of heroes. Ouch! This is what grinding and farming feels like at the other end! And that ghost is not safe either, while the barbarians' axes are useless and the rangers' arrows don't hurt, those fighters know to bring a 'vs undead' weapon to the fight.

Scaling hero parties will be your worst enemy and frequently end your minion rampage run.

Follow me on twitter! https://twitter.com/DungeonsofChaos

And spread the word ... evil is coming.

[​IMG]

3. Kaje85

Kaje85 Active Member

Apr 17, 2013
    I have just bought the game, but I'm getting the following error:

"Unable to download app

Dungeons of Chaos UNITY EDITION could not be installed at this time"

Is this an issue with the app itself? Perhaps the most recent update? Every other app I have tried downloading works perfectly, so I know it's not my phone or Internet.

4. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

have checked it myself on my phone and it works. I would just retry
    - after a while
    - after closing iTunes/AppStore

it is just a store glitch I would assume, I have personally seen many funny hiccups using the AppStore but they go away by themselves.

5. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    When party members die, can they be resurrected relatively easily?

6. N2L

N2L Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Resurrection is free but you'll need to return to the shelter to meet the priest there. The only annoyance is the return back to the shelter takes a bit of time and that annoyance is exacerbated further if you are deep inside a dungeon; try using the "Dungeon Run" feature which makes you move continuously in a certain direction and save often.

I don't think there is any other way to resurrect your character early in the game. Once you're deeper in the game and have access to your own priest (advanced class from cleric and monk (I think)) or the skill, divine favour, you can resurrect your characters yourself.

7. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

yes, the usual way is to visit the cleric in the starter cave, or monk in the smuggler village. and ask them about "heal"

8. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

there is another way but it is not spoken off and takes a bigger XP penalty. *cough* magic heal *cough*

9. Kaje85

Kaje85 Active Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Works now! Thanks for the tips!

10. N2L

N2L Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Really? I have to try that.

11. trystero

Aug 11, 2009
    Thx for the answers re: resurrection.

So looking at the early TA review, it's mentioned that all ranged characters have a distinct advantage simply because of the amount of terrain melee characters need to close with enemies.

Is this still the case after so many balance updates? Or still partially the case?

12. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

No longer the case I would say, but different phases of the game have different challenges. skeletons and lich are fairly well placed to deal with projectiles, but against orcs you will find ranged weapons a great choice. Look at the playthrough videos, if you look at the chapter2 ones you will see an advanced party has very distinct strengths.

13. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

And today, THIS happened. Made me a very happy man, as DoC is my ode to the old Ultima games :D:D

[​IMG]

14. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    wow, The Master itself!!!
    congrats Volker.

15. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    That's awesome! Richard Garriot is super cool guy. I loved playing his games as a kid and as an adult I can appreciate what a good role model he is for everyone.

16. snarvid

snarvid Well-Known Member

May 20, 2013
    #216 snarvid, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    Sorry if these are addressed somewhere in the 22 pages, they aren't in the wiki or google search.

1. What determines spell speed? I get speed stat matters to moving and to attacks, but nothing says what determines how quickly spells are cast.
    1a. Side question on spellbooks, and, I suppose, items in general. Are items in non-random dungeons fixed? That is, will the dagger of Whatever always be in the same location each playthrough?
    2. Could you put (optional) movement arrows at the NESW edges of the combat screen? I often mis-click when playing on an iPhone, and would prefer to have an option to deactivate tapping a particular space without obscuring part of the needed combat area.
    3. Likewise, could you put a "shoot" talent in the quick actions that would allow a character only to select viable missile targets? Trying to play a missile heavy party and often my characters move instead of shooting, it's a bummer.
    4. Even with the aforementioned "misclick" issues above, I'm pretty sure the game is activating my character's inventories while I'm not pressing them on the combat screen. I'm pressing maybe 3/5ths of the way towards the right edge of the screen (so closer to, but not particularly close to, the right side). And sometimes when I press somewhere towards the edge of the screen, but still in the combat area, it activates the "auto" button for a character. Weird touch based stuff.
    5. Finally, whenever I cast resist evil with my monk, it says that it raises lightning resistance, and when I go into the character screen from combat neither lightning nor life draining resistance has gone up. Not sure if it is also happening for priests.

I am on an iPhone 6s.

17. trystero

Aug 11, 2009
    #217 trystero, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    Based on Volker's answers, I picked it up the other day. Am not disappointed, love that it is turn based with a suffix/prefix randomized loot model.

Actually, here is a question. Very early in game. Team is level 2. Haven't grinded xp, just did the quests, found close to the first town a random dungeon. Was quickly murdered by a single ogre causing massive damage. Should I be grinding in this game at all? I realize if you wander around you can hit some dangerous situations, but should I be stopping now and then to grind?

18. trystero

Aug 11, 2009
    Should I be raising skills and spells with talent points generally after the initial training? They raise with use, but it seems to take forever. Haven't been spending many points on strength or dex...

19. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

1. the spell level. which increases every 10 proficiency increments.
    1a. Depends. I can set every item to be fully random, partially set, or fully determined. So a skeleton will drop an item suitable for a fighter, of a certain value range, that is a weapon. or an item for any user class, and of any item class, of a certain value range. For monsters I usually only pre-set SOME possible drops' item class and user class to broadly reflect what items they may have on them. For treasure, I only fix very few of them fully. like the ring you find in the shelter, or the icy shadowpiercer in the
    icy mountain caves
    . All else is usually determined only in terms of the value range, and sometimes item class/type.
    2. would be problematic because that would also obscure part of the arena. I will have a think about how I could make that work. Some people also told me they use a stylus, but only heard of the issue when people had a more compact phone.
    3. sounds like a similar issue. I will think about how to do that. Alternatively you could also MARK a preferred target and just click on the players AUTO button (and then right after shooting deactive it again if you want. so it acts like a SHOOT button)
    4. odd, have not noticed that myself. I will check the rectangles.
    5. the inventory stats view does not show temporary fight spell impacts. In terms of the message, I will check, sounds like I pasted the wrong message. :eek:

20. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

apart from the boss fight (lich) you should not face a monster that REQUIRES you to grind. And even the lich most players don't really grind much, rather they realise what they want to spend talent points on but have spent all already so need to get a level or two. The free exploration freedom does mean you can stumble into some nasties. If you want to stay on a more gradual path of danger, do the side quests as they come up (rats, spiders, undead tomb, outside, deed/orcs ...).