iPhone Dungeons of Chaos (By Volker Elzner)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Hiya! Enjoying the game, just converted to full version and have a couple quests out of the way. Couple questions though.

Rogues: Is there an ideal weapon for them? They don't seem to have much proficiency in anything.
    Identify: is it passive based in party skill? I have a couple rings and a staff I'd love to know what they do.

Thanks!

2. VolkerE

VolkerE Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Rogues have higher maximum skill values for certain skills, which allow them to focus on very specific builds as they develop. However these are not really noticeable at level 1. At level 1 they are basically just a young thief.

They have reasonable capabilities to use ranged weapons, which most find very powerful in the 'middle' part of the game once you have found a decent bow and were able to spend some talent points on the ranged skill.
    However rogues can prove to be quite useful in more complex character builds: they can for example make use of the 'sprint' and 'no escape' skill which allows you to quickly take up a flanking position behind or next to a monster already engaged with a melee character, and get extra flanking bonus which should give him near-100% hit chance and increased critical hit chance.

There are not (yet) any weapons that are solely designed for rogues. There are for 'assassins' though but that is a class he can advance to in Chapter2 only (expected App update in a few weeks hopefully).
    Rogues also get speed and evade stats that are better than melee classes, so you can try and exploit that further by giving him a weapon with fast attack speed. I find that a fast rogue with a magically boosted 1h edged weapon is better against swarming monsters than a barbarian with a 2h hammer (attack time 160) or an archer with a crossbow (attack time ~250).

He is however never really going to look as good as a maxed out fighter. Rogues have secondary purpose as the person opening doors for you and finding/noticing treasure.

IDENTIFY is purely passive:
    When you find an item, lets say a "lethal ancient long sword of the soulsucker", the following is checked:
    - how often have you ever found an item with the "lethal" prefix?
    - or "ancient" condition?
    - or "of the soulsucker" suffix?
    that depends the hurdle you need to meet to have it identified (automatically) when you find it. You do not need to action anything.

How likely it is to meet the test depends on the HIGHEST identify skill in your party, plus to a smaller extent the identify skill of all the other 5 members. So not just the top one counts, but he counts most. Also: dead players don't count in case you carry a few fallen comrades around for a while. Then a roll is made. You always have "a" chance to make it.

If your rogue has IDENTIFY of 30, and a few others have a bit, that is good enough to get a decent outcome. if the suffix/cond/prefix in question has been seen before, your chances will be very high.
    However there are may different variants out there so until you have 'been around' you will see quite a few "?" unidentifed items. The archmage Parnosz will identify all of them for free for you. You can use the SPECIALS -> ID ALL function in the SHOP mode with him (the only thing he does as shopowner, he does not sell or buy). Other shops also identify those items they know about (bowmaker : bows only), but at a small price.

Hope that helps!

If you like the game, would really appreciate a review. I also now have a facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/dungeonsofchaos

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Wow thanks for the quick reply and answers! Got a couple more if you have the time. :)

Is it viable to level ranged as well as 1 handed blade (dagger) as well as lock picking and maybe Identify? I had been adding to my Idenitfy on my Mage.

I notice some skills improve with use which is awesome (reminds me of Everquest). Technically the way that works you could level everything eventuall (albeit slowly) just by using weapons and abilities.

Does the Mage skill Unlock work on chests as well or just doors?

Is flanking considered to the bottom, top or right in the case where the monsters are coming from the right side of the screen? I have been trying this with my monk and rogue and still find they miss quite a bit.

I would be happy to leave a review on the App Store page. Thanks again for a great game and the superb support!

4. NetBad

NetBad Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Designer for Construction
    America
    The graphic style.........hmmm Hope it have a good gameplay

5. Rythan

Rythan Well-Known Member

May 16, 2014
    Is this game coming to iPhone ? Or will it remain iPad exclusive?

6. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

I have previously made a few comments about it being not the same if I pushed it on the iPhone because fingers are too small if I retain the 23x21 view area...

However a few months in, I am planning on re-designing the UI and allow for it to make sense with a smaller view. Unfortunately this is just my hobby so with the time I have I'd say this will be on the iPhone in 9-12 months. I will keep you all updated, you can also check out my blog:

https://dungeonsofchaos.wordpress.com/

Ultimately I am also thinking of porting it to other devices (Unity --> Android) but that would take me even more time to skill up ...:(

7. Rythan

Rythan Well-Known Member

May 16, 2014
    Sorry for asking the same question, not my intention to be annoying. It's okay don't stress about it... Take your time. :)

8. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

#108 VolkerE, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    Sure, nothing I like more than helping people enjoy my game! ;)

Unlock spell improves the NEXT (=one) attempt of your party to OPEN a chest or a door. It works for both. It is a bit cumbersome and a lot of clicks, have not focussed on improving that yet.

At the moment, it is perfectly possible to grind so much as to allow you to boost 4 or 5 skills up on a character, by the time you reach level 14 and run out of things to kill in Chapter1. Spellcasters have it tougher, they need to make choices as there are SO many nice spells eventually and progress is slow unless you have a lot of books.

Tips:
    a) ALL skills and ALL spells improve by using them, even passive ones do like identify and lockpicking. But the threshold to reach an incremental gain is set differently for all of them, so that those used by auto-fight mode for example don't level up too quickly/easily. Still tweaking those though...
    b) the more books you have for a spell AND the higher the magic lore skill, the better impact it has to spend a talent point on the spell. Note: best way to get books is to kill magic users like orc mages. they spawn in orc lairs as groups or as occasional add-ons in groups of regular orcs and orc warriors.

A more complicated way to improve and even diversify the skills and spells you employ are INSIGNIA. they are special items for the 12th item slot not used before, and are very class restrictive. They will be common in Chapter2 but I put a whole chest load of them (one for each class) into the shipwreck bonus mission I just introduced for chapter1. enjoy!

Flanking checks for any ally adjacent to a monster you attack. Works even if your attack is flanked. They simply cannot use their EVASION as well if there is some of your folks next to them. It does not differentiate between the exact direction, so there is no additional 'back-stabbing' benefit if you are behind. The impact stacks, and is further enhanced by the 'no escape' skill. Some monsters are REALLY hard to hit and you need to use a LOT of flanking to moderate that down and stand a chance. But you can also use DETERMINATION skill to help make one crucial attack hit, or use holy chant to boost performance (the boost to your party is not related to whether your enemies are undead, whereas the debuff to your enemies are. HOLY CHANT does both benefit you and hurt them). It is incremental and not necessarily easy to spot, but having played through Chapter1 (almost) myself recently again I find the impact makes a difference. with 3 players around an orc warrior, every attack is a hit. a rogue can nicely SPRINT or SHADOW SHIFT into position to make that happen.

reviews are always welcome, and spread the word! DoC can also now be found on facebook...

9. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

bug fix

if you have a really old savegame, you may experience a crash when restoring it. Only one instance of this showed up so far but I was able to reproduce it and 1.3.2 will be submitted today and fixes that. Apologies for any inconvenience. don't overwrite the savegame, it will work fine once updated.

10. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

Chapter2 is submitted!

:eek:Chapter2 is with Apple for review!:eek:

Quick rundown of what it brings:

- the storyline started in Chapter1 is completed
    - vast new areas are explored in the process. It about quadruples the 'size' of the game world.
    - new UI features: minimap now scrolls. Some NPCs now hand out hand drawn maps to guide the player.
    - many new NPCs that are embedded in the storyline, but also drive many side quests
    - guilds that open up options to upgrade players into superior player classes
    - new shops and trainers
    - MANY new monster types, monster tactics and challenges
    - hidden secrets and remnants of unrelated historical events
    - MANY new lairs and dungeons, some fixed, some randomised
    - unlimited randomised dungeons (3 types) unlockable by solving some more complex quests
    - a few new skills and spells (will add a few more over the next weeks)
    - generally tougher level of monsters and riddles, but avoiding annoying low level monster spawns in the main maps
    - consequently more rare loot (rare items, and rare item attributes)
    - also fixes a few bugs.

Some very loyal fans have also been awarded with a special naming right for an NPC or villain. Look out for 'Jaimar' and 'Ryld' in the game ...

If you want to read up more about what is about to hit your iPad, or see some visuals to feast on, look here:

https://dungeonsofchaos.wordpress.com/sneak-peak/

Hope you will all enjoy it. Please spread the word and consider leaving a rating and review on the AppStore.

As before: no IAP, no ads, no bs. If there is super strong fan support I am considering the following next steps:
    - iPhone port. However still not sure how to solve UI challenges (you lot need smaller fingers!)
    - Chapter3; or Dungeons of Chaos 2. Could involve IAP options.
    - user generated content contribution. A lot is driven by .tmx tilemaps, so if you are really into designing maps with my tileset, give me a shout at dungeonsofchaos @ gmail.com

But at the moment I cannot commit to either of the above happening at a particular time. Too early to tell how much time I will have and what else happens in my life.

Thanks,
    Volker

11. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

App released!

The App has been released to the App Store just then!

It is ALIVE !

:D

If you had finished Chapter1 you can now talk to Parnosz the archmage and he will use the ORB to teleport you, which kicks off the new storyline events. Any issues or questions please let me know.

[​IMG]

12. Rythan

Rythan Well-Known Member

May 16, 2014
    I can't say no to an awesome rogue like. I will instantly buy it if it ever releases on iPhone :)

13. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

I have considered how hard it would be to play DoC on iPhone without a resolution change. Because that would be the easiest thing to do of course. If you want to beta-test how that feels send me an email to dungeonsofchaos @ gmail.com. I will probably try that out over the next 2 months. If it turns out too frustrating to play, a redesign would take quite some time.

but my buttons, although they may be deemed small for iPhone use, are still spaced apart a fair bit so it should not lead to unwanted actions being taken. The real issue is the fight screen though. healing the wrong player or hitting the wrong target would be a bad experience.

Who has played Enchanted Cave 2 on iPhone, and thinks that:
    a) the buttons are too small (try out the start/options/credits menu for example)
    b) tab/lists are too small to hit accurately (try the item category tabs in the inventory screen)

My own feeling with that game was that it was borderline bearable.

14. Rythan

Rythan Well-Known Member

May 16, 2014
    I am more than willing to test out the game for you! I can't really tell if it's worth your time and your effort to get this game right for iPhone but your game is a gem. I truly believe there are people out there that want to have some of this gem :3

15. Rythan

Rythan Well-Known Member

May 16, 2014
    Btw it seems that the mail you posted above is not the right one

16. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

my email address? I quoted as
    dungeonsofchaos @ gmail.com
    which has spaces in it to avoid spam bots to troll through the forums and farm it. Maybe foolish to believe it makes a difference...
    the real email address is simply [email protected]
    but the spelling itself seems correct, and I have received your email as well.

Let me know if I am looking at the wrong thing or you meant something else. Cheers.

17. Rythan

Rythan Well-Known Member

May 16, 2014
    It worked fine now check your box :3

18. Hex Blade

Hex Blade Well-Known Member

May 11, 2012
    This game looks exactly the same as 9th Dawn. I just thought i would point that out as i havent seen anyone mention it yet.

I may give this a try at some point but not till i finish 9th Dawn which looks just like it in almost every way.

Those of you unaware of 9th Dawn should check it out if this game appeals to you.

19. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

iphone port

For those who have been waiting on a glimpse of hope, proof of concept below. But it shows how small things will be and what trouble it would cause to leave the UI just scaled down from the iPad version:

[​IMG]

20. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze