iPhone Dungeons of Chaos (By Volker Elzner)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    Kill the LICH !! Yeah :) just got notice of Your game. Of course I will help destroy the Lich, that bugger is everywhere :D Will try game and leave feedback. Instabuy.

2. VolkerE

VolkerE Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

#42 VolkerE, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
    Saw your footer, I have to try yours! Death to all liches! oh wait, that is kinda pointless...:p

3. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

Chapter 2 ideas

What would people prefer to see in particular in Chapter 2:

1) lot of diversity of new monsters and monster attacks (area effect, buffs, etc.)
    2) randomised locations for potential grinding? (slowly re-spawning medium sized monster lairs?)
    3) non-storyline locations and hidden gems
    4) more complex NPC story telling
    5) more variety in skills and spells (there will be new ones becoming available, but how many is flexible...)

Trying to decide where best to invest my time in when I start building Chapter 2 over the next weeks ...

4. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

good to hear, will keep that through the next Chapters. It is actually very tempting for me to tell people about all the things they may not have found yet. Rest assured there are many odd spots in Chapter 1, keep looking !;)

5. CrayonWarrior

CrayonWarrior Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 9, 2014
    Great southern land
    I agree free exploration and skills and spells

6. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

expansion in Chapter 2

no problemo! Do you object to some locations being hidden behind secret passages that you need to detect with high perception?

7. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

Correct. If you LOOK and select an adjacent tile and click LOOK (which executes an extensive LOOK as opposed to the glance when just moving the crosshair around), then secret passages get revealed. I have built in a skill factor whereby I can make secret passages hard to detect even with that method, but I am not using that yet and the skill factor for all such secrets to date has been set very low.

If you want to contribute with specific content ideas please email me @ dungeonsofchaos [at] gmail.com.

8. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    small request: make interface buttons larger, particular direction arrows :)

9. Cherway

Cherway Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    Looks good. Is it f2p?

10. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

there is a LITE version that is free (and no ads) which lets you try out absolutely everything, however you cannot level up your characters.

Full version is US$2.

Volker

11. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

:) thanks! Glad you like it.:)

12. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

I will look into it, the main menu option is certainly doable without too much effort. But I need to prioritise these refinements vs. time spent on Chapter 2 content.;)

Volker

13. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

I was weighing off a few options here, ultimately the terms is a bit ambiguous but clearly resolves itself once you click on it. Could not think of a better way to fit it on a button and match the nature of the options. But thanks for the feedback, I will have another think about where I could take this.

Like you indicated, you get use to it fairly quickly so to avoid confusing the users that got used to it by now, I would need to make changes in small increments so to speak.

Volker

14. Xaintrix

Xaintrix Well-Known Member

May 29, 2010
    I was impressed with the Lite version and promptly purchased the game after smashing the rats. Larger movement buttons would be nice, and I can't wait to explore more!

15. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

:D thanks! :D Please consider leaving a review+rating on the AppStore as well, that helps spread the word ... ideally for the LITE version as well... ;)

Convinced now I should include a larger movement arrows option. One of the reasons I was hesitant was because there are MANY other 32x32 click areas I obviously cannot enlarge as that is the tile-based concept constraint. However if the movement arrows in isolation being enlarged help people then I will do that. I guess for people that like to use them, there are a LOT of click uses when exploring.

I will actually make it an option you can set in the OPTIONS menu so you can swap between large and normal. or disable them maybe as well in case you never use them...

Probably doing that this weekend, then one week for Apple review, so if all goes well ~mid January update I guess.

16. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

No worries, work underway.:cool:

17. RocketSpy

RocketSpy New Member

Mar 24, 2010
    My party is trapped in an undead lair called "An Evil Place". I climbed up to top level and saw an undead creature with a crown. I decided to retreat down the stairs. I went up the same stairs and it took me to a different level. I went back down and that took me to a different level. Now the stairs up and down just takes you to these two levels. There is no way for me to exit the dungeon. I was forced to abandon the game and start a new one.

18. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

#58 VolkerE, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
    The lich's tower is missing a sign (which I added in an update I will submit for Apple review today) to make it clear that the lich has designed the tower to trap intruders. So this is intentional, just not obvious prior to me adding such sign, so that is being fixed.

** SPOILER ALERT **

The stairs that look like they go up don't all go up, and the one's appearing to go down don't all go down. Use the MAP button to see when a stair going up actually puts you back into the 'loop' of levels, and try out each stair going down to see which one actually gets you ahead. And same vice versa. Consider the trap like this: all the UP and DOWN stairs are connected, just not in the usual fashion.

And if you are desperate to get the party out: just enter a fight and let the party die (put all auto fight modes on PASSIVE and set to AUTO), the archmage will revive all and teleport back. You will loose some XP, but NO items are lost.

** SPOILER END **

Volker

19. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

Update !

I can now proudly announce that the following :DUpdate:D will be submitted today for Apple review (may take a week):

- LARGE directional arrow buttons as an option:)
    - lich tower now has some hints that it is a warped structure ( = trap of sorts):eek:
    - the 2 highest difficulty settings are now more difficult. ;)
    - when you find a spell book and you already have the book of that level, you find the next lower one instead. Having books of level 4+3+2 is better than just level 4, so it matters.
    - will tweak the cost to increase STR and DEX. But still deliberating with myself by how much ... possibly just a bit.
    - smaller tweaks to lots of other stuff

This update will also be rolled into the LITE version at the same time. Which means the LITE version will also see the issue with the lava cave resolved which the FULL version had an emergency update for before Christmas.

20. VolkerE

Patreon Bronze

and taking suggestions for v1.2.0 now.

Intention so far:

- show item class in COMPARE field, else things like a SCEPTRE and a STAFF may not be clear
    - make multiple target attacks at high weapon proficiency easier to reach. At present I think it is pretty much impossible in Chapter1. Would be a good stretch goal for those that completed everything else ...

Please let me know what you would like changed/tweaked. I am also working on Chapter2 of course, so content and story will be expanded probably around March.

Volker