Dungeons and Miners - Roguelite procedural adventure (by Angry Bugs)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by AngryBugs, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    Wonderful!!!

2. Kimchisoju

Kimchisoju Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Male
    Caregiver
    #22 Kimchisoju, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Not much else was said about the other changes...

The other consoles, any control changes. Will it be in portrait mode still for phones. Will there still be a digging aspect. Beautiful graphics are really nice but from what this game was: an dungeon and digging adventure which i was totally looking foward to, this grew and evolved past what its original goal was.

Im not saying you guys are now looking to cash in on your project, because theres so much love an time an effort being poured into this. Dead cells and terreria are great inspirations for this title and honestly, this excites me even more, but my rational side tells me that this originally planned for mobile game will now, as you say, come to other consoles an all that tells me now is that we will be waiting longer now to play this game because it has to be optimized for each console and PC iteration and things just get lost in those processes. I want to like this. I want to love this but now im fearful of what dungeons and miners may become.
    Hopefully you guys can ease my fears and tell me everything will be ok with the gameplay video (in portrait mode) because even if this game takes til 2019 ill still buy it to support you.

3. Dreadtle

Dreadtle Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Somehow, I'm even more excited now than I was on day one! The new screenshots look incredible! I know it's still a little early, but I have three questions:

1) To what degree can you interact with/mine the environment?
    2) Will there be permanent upgrades between runs?
    3) Is there any hope for a release within 2018?

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    This looks great. I’m a huge fan of Drylands and still play it a lot - total underrated iOS classic.

Look forward to getting this one

houseofg likes this.
  5. AngryBugs

AngryBugs Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Thanks for your comments guys! We are happy to answer your concerns.

There will be only one version of the game regardless the platform and it will be in landscape mode; portrait mode has been removed due to the game mechanics evolving to a more complex state, you can now jump, double jump, dash, attack, strong attack, jump attack, use a secondary weapon, buff, equip a wide variety of items that changes all kinds of behaviours and modifies the attacks.
    We didn't forget about the mining part (it's still almost 50% of the title of the game! :), but it will not be like terraria, it's different and we still are polishing the design.

Mobile is not a secondary platform for us, we are testing the game on PC with controllers and iOS with customizable virtual controls, we are maintaining a constant 60fps even on an ipod touch. The game is being made in Unity, so porting to each platform should be straightforward.

About development time... yes, it will take longer with these changes, we discarded several months of work in one day, more than 100 classes were deleted, and I don't want to think about all the sprites removed from our assets folder right now, but we think this is a better path for the game!

All these changes were not easy for us to make, it's always too much risk. But we were working in a game that wasn't enjoyable for us, and we already did that with our last game, The hacker 2.0, and that story didn't end well... like at all.

1) We are still designing the mines, we removed the terraria style mining and integrated them with the dungeon, now it's seamless to explore everything. It all felt like 2 or 3 different games tied together in a forced way before these changes.

2) Its upgrades are mostly based on a wide variety of items, and there is also a place to buy and unlock several permanent changes to the dungeon/mines/enemies/player

3) We are doing all we can to release the this year, we have a veeeery tight budget :)
    Always thankful for your help psj!

6. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    yeah, Drylands is one of the best games i've played on iOS... i can't wait for D&M!!!

7. Kimchisoju

Kimchisoju Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Male
    Caregiver
    I want to thank you for this...

The feedback from you guys have been really awesome. Im glad you were able to cover my concerns. I realize that this game as any game does, evolves and changes and one idea may be fine for monrhs to years but then ‘the light shines in” so to speak and then things need to go to finish that dream. Also, things get bigger and grow and i think i was mainly worried about the focus of this game because there has been many other titles that went this route (Huntdown for one) who began on mobile and they decided to expand and now its just lost in the shuffle (raging justice for another)
    I didnt and dont want this amazing game to go that route either. As for expenses, I truly understand. Tale your time too. Cant wait for that gameplay. (portrait games are great and all but i can accept a landscape title)

There will be only one version of the game regardless the platform and it will be in landscape mode; portrait mode has been removed due to the game mechanics evolving to a more complex state, you can now jump, double jump, dash, attack, strong attack, jump attack, use a secondary weapon, buff, equip a wide variety of items that changes all kinds of behaviours and modifies the attacks.
    We didn't forget about the mining part (it's still almost 50% of the title of the game! :), but it will not be like terraria, it's different and we still are polishing the design.

Mobile is not a secondary platform for us, we are testing the game on PC with controllers and iOS with customizable virtual controls, we are maintaining a constant 60fps even on an ipod touch. The game is being made in Unity, so porting to each platform should be straightforward.

About development time... yes, it will take longer with these changes, we discarded several months of work in one day, more than 100 classes were deleted, and I don't want to think about all the sprites removed from our assets folder right now, but we think this is a better path for the game!

All these changes were not easy for us to make, it's always too much risk. But we were working in a game that wasn't enjoyable for us, and we already did that with our last game, The hacker 2.0, and that story didn't end well... like at all.

1) We are still designing the mines, we removed the terraria style mining and integrated them with the dungeon, now it's seamless to explore everything. It all felt like 2 or 3 different games tied together in a forced way before these changes.

2) Its upgrades are mostly based on a wide variety of items, and there is also a place to buy and unlock several permanent changes to the dungeon/mines/enemies/player

3) We are doing all we can to release the this year, we have a veeeery tight budget :)

Always thankful for your help psj![/QUOTE]

8. Dreadtle

Dreadtle Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Hey there! Just wanted to see how everything's going w/ the game's development. Hope all is well with you and your team. :)

9. J05H

J05H Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2017
    They've been radio silent for 3 years, I would assume the game is dead

10. AngryBugs

AngryBugs Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Hello again!
    After all this time of silence, we came back here to announce that we are close to finishing this game... yes, no joke!

We were coming and going with different projects for a while and some time ago decided to finish this one original concept, with the portrait only approach and the mines and all of that!

So... we just need a little help with the testing and we are starting a Testflight for the ones willing to give us a helping hand.
    If you are interested in trying the game, please DM me with your email, thank you very much!

Here's some screenshots and a video showcasing a bit more of what this game is about, enjoy:

11. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Hurrah!

Fantastic news.

12. JackDerp

JackDerp Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2015
  13. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
  14. KWIPS

KWIPS Member

Jun 17, 2015

15. KWIPS

KWIPS Member

Jun 17, 2015
  16. GGlad

GGlad New Member

May 9, 2018
    My kind of game . Would love to test!1
    Gary

17. A Moist Towelette

A Moist Towelette New Member

May 18, 2021
    Male
    Looks great! Would love to help test.Message sent.

18. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    yeaaaah, dm sent.

19. Cerberus_17

Cerberus_17 Active Member

Apr 10, 2014
    Looks great, dm sent.