Universal Dungeonism (by Jeffrey Fal)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TrencH, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Ben!

Ben! Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Same. Universal support + content. Achievements don't matter.

2. c.ihls

c.ihls Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Okay, you have skills called capacity (belongs to inventory) and memory (connected with spells). First you have to pick up these scrolls. Free up some space in your inventory (use one of the potions etc. stored there), then try to have full magic and read (click on) the scroll in the inventory - et voíla you've learned the spell.

Be careful though, if you have reached the number of maximum spells (=your memory skill), you'll 'forget' the least used spell (the furthermost right one I think).

Referring to your second question: sneaking helps you to get closer to your enemies before they spot you. So you might get a good clean hit on them and take them out, before they can see and block you. There seems to be no line of sight afaik, so it's not only a sneaking up from behind :D

A very, very useful skill imho :D

3. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Can't wait for ios 7's scaling magic. I CAN wait for the Lollipop Guild interface, but that's another story.

4. InkyTheGhost

InkyTheGhost Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    NYC
    Wow, this game is simply fantastic. Congrats to the dev on recognition of great work.
    Although, the forest music sort of reminds me of the Wii virtual console music.

5. Jefff

Jefff Member

Jul 8, 2013
    GC, Sneaking

I am going to try to add some GC integration in an early update. Nothing too crazy, but it feels like a missing feature to me.

Sneaking: line-of-sight, facing, and your sneak skill are all taken into account. You may also notice that when you take a single step at a time, your hero crouches. That gives you a little sneak bonus.

6. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I appreciate it.

7. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    #107 mkaen, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
    delete

8. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Wait, are you saying that if I move three spaces but I do it one space at a time, then I get a bonus for sneaking over just tapping on the destination and moving there directly? I don't love that design feature.

9. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Fantastic game. Just curious: anyone know what typeface is used in Dungeonism? It's a fairly common (and awesome) one but I can't seem to remember the name.

Thanks in advance for any info.

10. Jefff

Jefff Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Intro. I'm using the free version, but I will likely license the full version for the next update. (Since, you know, they deserve money for making a nice-looking font.)

http://fontfabric.com/intro-free-font/

Just double-checked the code so I can be precise: You don't get a bonus to all sneaking, but if a monster has his back to you, he will not notice you if you move one-by-one. If you aren't behind him, it does nothing.

I realize this seems counter to the control philosophy of the game and gives you a slight incentive to play in an annoying way, which is why it's only useful in specific instances. Perhaps I can give the player some feedback to let them know when they're in such a situation? Or perhaps there's a more fun way to trigger this feature?

(Am putting "explain crouching sneak in a slide" on to-do list.)

11. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I don't see why moving one-by-one should trigger monster attention any differently than just tapping on the end space. I would personally suggest taking that part out. You could color the potential move spaces that are in a monster view slightly differently from the spaces that aren't, in order to indicate which movement paths will allow you to sneak.

12. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Jefff—
    Thanks for the reply! I really love the graphic design throughout the game.

13. witedahlia

witedahlia Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2012
    Ditto. As a fellow font fanatic thank you for this :)

14. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    #114 Guise, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
    Possible bug: while trying to play Heathen Moors IV, the level opens but my character stays stuck in place and can't move. Shooting arrows and performing magic don't work, either. My spells are still scrollable in the lower right hand corner.

Heathen Moors III and VI seem to work fine; haven't unlocked Heathen Moors V yet. Also, the next level set (the tomb-themed one) seems to function perfectly. It's just that one specific level that seems glitched.

Thoughts and/or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

15. bobish

bobish Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Really enjoying this games so far. Great job Jeff! I'm only into the Fearsome Forest Level 10, so I know I have a long way to go. Wasn't sure of the graphics at first, but they've really grown on me.

I only see a couple of things that would maybe make a great game even better.

1. In level save. (Already mentioned)
    2. Ability to easier pick and choose spells to pickup and drop
    3. Have the identity glass work on spell slots
    4. Surprised I haven't seen anyone mention the health meter is difficult to read. To me the hollow red on black is tough to read and that is the most important meter. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Anyway my 2 cents and congrats again to Jeff for a great gaming experience.

16. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    #116 mkaen, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
    delete

17. bobish

bobish Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2013
    I haven't found a way to drop a scroll after its in your inventory.

I think the whole system with picking up spells, memorizing them, and losing a spell could be more streamlined.

I think it's too easy to accidently click on a spell on the ground when you don't want it and then click on it when it's in your inventory and losing a spell. And the spell you lose is the far right spell which you can't see if your memory is more than 4 without scrolling. That could be more intuitive and interactive.

18. c.ihls

c.ihls Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    @mkaen: later in the game you'll find more unique equipment - e.g. winged boots which make you hoover all the time, a fire/poison/ice resistant armor etc.

This leads to some crucial choices: shall I put on the winged boots, so all those holes in the ground don't bother me - or shall I rather take slippers of the matador to have the ability to sidestep enemies attacks?

19. bobish

bobish Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Anyone figure out how to handle the bugs that have the leader? I've had to quit out of the dungeon a number of times because the bug leader is further down a single wide hallway and the regular bug (that can't be killed) is in the way and won't follow me out to a larger room so I can go around it. I can't think of a spell that would help n

20. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Don't think I've seen that level yet. Have you tried the Bomb or Firewall?
    Self-quote! Still wondering about this and hoping to be able to play the level at some point.