Dungeoning - a fantasy incremental RPG

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by thewzrd, Aug 13, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thewzrd

thewzrd Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    [​IMG]

It's called Dungeoning, because you go dungeoning.

It’s a verb.

A verb that encompasses this funky little game we’re making.

We’ve all “dungeoned.” Whether on graph paper, with miniatures, online or in our own heads, something draws us to the dungeon.

But why?

There are 7 possible “why”s and I doubt anyone is singular in their “why”:
    • Honor
    • Justice
    • Glory
    • Adventure
    • Revenge
    • Plunder
    • Blood
    [​IMG]

Adventurers are driven primarily by one of these motivations and secondarily by at least one other. It’s science.

Science aside (the game is more about magick anyway), here’s a few sentences about what Dungeoning is all about from a self-aware in-game warrior:

“Dungeoning is a fantasy incremental RPG tribute to all things adventuronious. Combining meaningful idle mechanics with a layer of deep secrets and discovery, the game plays in your pocket but occupies your mind. If you’re wondering why we all dungeon, Dungeoning will give you the answer.”

-Sir Sweatsalot, Knight of the Tryhards

The 2-man team at Gunslinger Studios has just begun development on this evil little toy.

It has upgradeable gear:

[​IMG]

A nav more like Snapchat than mobile games (here's more on that):

[​IMG]
    (please note this gif is the prototype, so the art is all placeholder)

Besides building a Party, making it more powerful, diving deeper dungeons and getting all sorts of upgradable loot, you'll also be on a Hunt for a farfillion collectibles that will unlock content, define your motivations and ultimately lead you toward a showdown with Lord Awful:

[​IMG]

I'll be updating this thread as the game rolls out, but if you want to follow along with the development, Dungeoning is on Twitter @Dungeoning, the Discord is rolling (I'm there everyday discussing progress and opinions) and we'll be taking early testers very soon (instructions to apply at the bottom of this).

Looking forward to feedback on all things game, art and features!

-TheWizard

Secret Passage: 02b

Artfiregames likes this.
  2. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    wow, i like it, looks really good!

thewzrd likes this.
  3. Drglory

Drglory New Member

Aug 13, 2019
    Male
    I have been in love with the art style. One of the discord members found the artist posting about it and we have not been able to get enough.

Looking forward to testing this!

thewzrd likes this.
  4. Capronissimo71

Capronissimo71 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    Ready to test it!!

5. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Is "meaningful idle mechanics" a contradiction in terms?

6. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think you'll have to tell me!

A few updates to the details on the game are in this post (art) and that one (Race & Class), but highlights include:

A dive into the art direction we're going for (pixel):

[​IMG]

(these are various collectible items that will represent a hunt for players as well as items that matter in dungeons.

A rundown of the Races & Classes in the game including these humans (the left one is the BARD):

[​IMG]

A couple of attacks from the various Classes in rotating GIFs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And, of course, the Everlings:

[​IMG]

We're moving quickly on the game, and the next few updates will show the systems we're layering in. Couple more of these features and we'll be entering into testing with players-- if you're interested in testing, the directions for being included are here at the bottom.

More soon!

7. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Few more updates as we animate NPCs to fight:

Soldier:

[​IMG]

Hawk:

[​IMG]

And-- of course-- a Red Dragon:

[​IMG]

More updates on @Dungeoning and more here soon.

8. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    #8 thewzrd, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Sign-ups to Beta Dungeoning are now open-- we'll be adding new players every week as we develop.

Help us make the game as good as it can be-- Sign up here.

9. Capronissimo71

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    I’ve press the link you put on ti sign up for the beta but it says the server can’t be find

10. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
  11. Capronissimo71

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
  12. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
  13. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    New update on one of the bigger systems in Dungeoning is up on the devblog, with info on "The Hunt," a game-wide hunt for collectibles of all kinds, from gems to tools to even pixel-art gore:

[​IMG]

These items will drop, be given out as rewards and serve as boons in dungeons as well as all sorts of hidden benefits.

More info, images and details in the blog, but if you're into testing, sign up soon-- we'll be adding more testers to the pre-alpha in the coming days (and if you want to wait till Beta, that's cool too-- sign up anyway).

14. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Couple new screens up on the feed that I'll post here (we're letting more iOS players in daily, so if you're into testing early, come say hi in Discord and I'll put you in the game).

This one shows a little about how inventory will work:

[​IMG]
    • Replace slotted gear with better gear
    • Drag like gear onto each other to Level
    • Each item increases in visual awesome 5 times as you Level it

After completing "Hunts" (for collectible items all around the game), you'll change in Motivation and Title:

[​IMG]

Each of these 10 Hunts funnel players toward a showdown with the big bad guy, and the choices made along the way matter.

More detail on those here.

Moar soon.

15. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    More of the placeholder art is getting replaced with "real," and I'm excited to get the dungeons looking as they will. The whole party now shows up on the screen, enemies animate and the information about all the goings on is online:

[​IMG]

16. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    New build & update today, with a replacement for the old placeholder Quests screen. Here's the new one:

[​IMG]

We're working on Quests-only environments now, but the game is coming along quickly. We're entering into a balance pass, which means we'll need more people testing (and Android testing is about to open up).

Here's the new game dev update and link to the Dungeoning Discord. If anyone was playing with the old screen in a previous build, would love feedback on the new one, both from a visual and a quality-of-life standpoint.

17. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    The game is coming together, with the replacement of two major placeholder screens, the Home Screen:

[​IMG]

and the Party screen:

[​IMG]

Both have a ton of new features and tools, and all the details on each are in the dev update here.

We're putting new people in the Alpha every day, so if you're into testing early, pop into the Discord and DM me and I'll send you a build today. We need as much feedback as possible at this stage of development. If you want to wait till Beta, sign up here.

More soon!

18. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    New build today with the beginnings of a major new feature, Specials. The Dev Update is here.

The latest Build of the game has part 1 of this feature as well as a host of fixes and balance tweaks (find the Build Notes here). But the Specials feature bears some explanation since we're not yet providing guidance in the game (be sure and check out the growing wiki here though):

“Specials” is the Dungeoning word for effects that sit on Classes, Races, & Inconceivable (red) gear. They come in 10 flavors:

• Cripple
    • Crit
    • Deflect
    • Harden
    • Poison
    • Sap
    • Stun
    • Surge
    • Vigor
    • Wisdom

Each has an effect on either Combat or Training and can be upgraded out the wazoo (whatever that means). If you're playing currently, find all of this on the Party screen when clicking your Characters:

[​IMG]

Check out the details on Specials in the Dev Update and if you're ready to test this thing as it develops, DM me (TheWizard) on our Discord and I'll send you a build.

Oh-- and here's one of the Ultimate weapons we'll soon be upgrading with Specials:

[​IMG]

19. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I’ve been following the updates to this game for awhile and it looks like it’s really shaping up.

20. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks! We're excited about it, and the new Ultimate (gear) feature is about to get into the build this week or next. Are you playing in the alpha?

(join the Discord and PM me (TheWizard) if not, and I'll send you a build)

In the meantime, here's an Ultimate ring we made on Friday:

[​IMG]

Have at thee!