Dungeon Story - Upcoming Puzzle-RPG for iPhone and iPad!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Syen, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syen

Syen Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2012
    #21 Syen, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
    Good news guys! The development of the game has officially finished! I will run some testing / slight tuning for a couple more days and then I will submit it the app store!

Here is one picture from the recently polished battle screen: (notice that now we have an experience bar, glowing effect on energy bar as it fills, upgraded graphics for the 3 items in bottom, etc). Many of the pictures above are now slightly outdated as I was polishing the game during the last week, I will update the original post with new pics when I get some additional time!

PS: Btw, the game includes an original score created by a very good friend of mine :)

[​IMG]

And here the main menu of the game:

[​IMG]

2. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    looks awesome man. so pumped.

3. Syen

Syen Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Dungeon Story was successfully submitted to the app store for review today! Hopefully you can enjoy killing some monsters and levelling up soon enough! ;)

Here is the new teaser trailer for the game:

Enjoy guys! Will keep you updated!

4. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    any chance at this tonight?

5. Syen

Syen Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Hi! The game is still in "waiting review" status. Usually from what I saw it takes around 7-8 days to release from day you submitted the binary to the app store, so my guess is that it will be out by weekend or start of next week!

Will let you know as soon as I get the email confirming game can be released :)

6. dib

dib Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Awesome. The world needed another Dungeon Raid clone. You even named it similarly to add extra confusion in the public over which is the authentic game, and which is the imitator! Great job!

7. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Awesome. The world needed another D-bag's opinion! Great job!

8. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    That's for sure! Dungeon Raid introduced a brilliant idea, and yet failed to explore it as fully as it could be and the developer has abandoned it years ago. I couldn't agree more that we need other designers to take up that basic mechanism and find new things to do with it. We could use a dozen more such games.

9. Syen

Syen Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2012
    #29 Syen, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
    Thanks for your constructive opinion, but I really fail to understand how exactly re-using good core gameplay mechanism is considered something bad or evil in the games industry (as long as you do not blatantly copy another game ofc). Almost all games do it in some way or another, else we would never have another turned-based SNes style RPG after Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy, we would never have another fighter after Street Fighter or Mortal Combat, and we would never have another 3D shooter after Goldeneye in N64. At least, I pay enough respect to the developer of DR (which is a seriously awesome game that I have spend countless time on) to credit his game in both this thread and in the iTunes description (last few lines of description you can find that when it gets live).

And to help you see how exactly the game is different: Aside from the very core mechanism (match 3 or mole tiles either direction to gather coins, heal or attack), almost everything else is totally different. 1) You do not fight x number of monsters that randomly appear on the tile board, but instead the game puts the player versus a single monster at a time in something that reminds old school turned based battles. 2) The character does not reset when you die but instead you always turn more powerful (and monsters/dungeons scale to keep the game fun and not monotonous). 3) The battle system introduces the concept of an energy bar and 3 battle items which is a strategic layer that does not exist in DR (they use a totally different system which is also VERY fun but different). 4) Graphics are different style completely. 5) You can use your single player character in player versus player arena battles. And much more.

Anyway, I want to believe that I did my best as a gamer and programmer to develop a game that I personally find crazy fun to play with, and hope the people who care about this kind of gameplay will truly appreciate my offering to the genre! Few more days guys, and you can enjoy ;)

10. DahakaJR

DahakaJR Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    I drive trains, Locomotive Engineer.
    Pacific Northwest.
    Let us know soon as it goes live, I'm buying.

How big, I'm at work a lot and no wi-fi there. Hopefully I can DL over 3G.

11. Syen

Syen Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Thanks man hope you end up liking it!

It is arguably "small" in size, only 23 MB (the developer version on my iPhone 4S). Unless it grows in size when its on the app store but i highly doubt that :D

Would be less than half the size, but it includes retina iPad graphics in the binary! And i wanted to have all possible versions in one universal lowest tier price app instead of multiple rip-off versions!

12. Syen

Syen Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2012