iPad Dungeon Solitaire (Developer's Official Thread)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Saucepolicy, Feb 26, 2010.

1. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Just installed the update and noticed that Baloran Bounty was gone from my booster list.

I used the expansion code on the OP but I was wondering, will this need to be done every update?

2. Griptogrammer

Griptogrammer Active Member

Mar 5, 2010
    iPhone Programmer
    Redmond,WA
    Yeah, unfortunately upgrading will reset your local high scores and you'll have to redownload the expansions (it won't charge you, just like re-downloading an app). Don't worry, this won't happen with future upgrades; this was a one-time problem we could only fix by changing the save-data layout, which automatically resets all your local game data.

3. Vernimator

Vernimator Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    3D Artist, Mobile App Developer
    Charlotte Area, NC
    #143 Vernimator, Mar 12, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
    Ok, I just updated to 1.1 and lost all of my scores and both of the expansion packs I had purchased.

Not a happy camper.... :(

Saw the developer note on the update... Thank you for the quick reply.

Expansion packs re-downloaded at no additional cost.. Back in business!!!!

4. nonexist

nonexist Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Male
    USA
    too bad to read that, I will have to wait for a future update, I don't have wify and I downloaded the expansions via cel phone data and it was no cheap :(

5. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Old win/loss record and high scores vanished. They actually had ample opportunity to tell everyone in advance they would lose their local high scores but did not? Bizarre. I think they'll have a lot of "not a happy camper" responses like Verminator, especially since most have been saying it's not about winning or losing but how high they were able to score. Bizarre, truly truly bizarre.

6. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    Hey everyone,

I'm down at GDC this week but I'm really sorry to hear about the issues with the update. We've looked into pulling it from the AppStore but it seems that we can't, so we're working on fixes as fast as we can. Unfortunately, we're not going to be able to restore the local high scores, but as a small token of apology we'll be releasing a free mini-expansion with the next patch.

If you haven't updated the game yet, please don't until the next patch is released. If you're really uncertain, I'll update my retail copy when it goes live and report back to the board.

Stay tuned...

7. spelk

spelk Member

Its going to irk a lot of current players because they'll have put in quite a bit of time to get some scores higher than their last in their local list.

Bit of a shame this update mangles the good rep, with loss of expansion packs also. Also you'll have to enter the unlock code for the Baloran Bounty again, so hopefully there'll be an extension on its expiration date.

Hopefully the infrastructure is now in place for subsequent updates and expansions, without this sort of player shakeup.

8. TheOrioles33

TheOrioles33 Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2008
    Yeah I'm pretty much done with this cheating game anyways. Lost my high scores, all expansion packs and my awesome 38-220-4 record. I was a glutton for punishment and did enjoy the game but was getting fed up and this update was the icing in the cake. It was fun while it lasted.

9. spelk

spelk Member

I should add that if you setup the OpenFeint options, my high scores are preserved there under leaderboards, even after the update, just not locally in the game itself. Which is a small consolation, I guess.

10. kennfusion

kennfusion Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 2, 2008
    Brooklyn, New York
    So I got my expansions back, no big deal at all. But...the game still has problems on the technical side.

First game playing just now and it crashed back to desktop. This happened a lot before the patch too.

Now, it very well could be a memory issue, but again, that would be a technical problem because it means that this game is a memory hog like no other.

Considering that I normally only have to complete reboot my iphone once a week and play a LOT of games on it, it makes no sense that I suddenly have these memory issues 4 to 5 times a day, and only when playing DS.

The game is also a huge battery hog, so I am not surprised that it is a memory hog also.

These issues really do need to be addressed. Clearly Griptonite does not have a handle on best use of the architecture yet to manage resources on the device.

11. Griptogrammer

Griptogrammer Active Member

Mar 5, 2010
    iPhone Programmer
    Redmond,WA
    For those interested, we do have an update 1.1.1 waiting for Apple to review - the only real change from 1.1 is to automatically copy over save-data to the new format when upgrading from 1.0.

12. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    A bit too late. Sigh....

13. dominici

dominici Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Librarian
    Australia
    I bought the expansion packs but when I updated the app they are now grayed out, expecting me to buy them again? :(

14. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    The Appstore will recognize that you already paid for 'em. Don't worry.

15. dominici

dominici Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Librarian
    Australia
    Whew! Yes, it does tell you that you already purchased them, but only after you confirm that you'll buy them. They really should do something about that, it does scare the crap out of you that you think you're re-buying stuff again.

16. Vernimator

May 26, 2009
    Charlotte Area, NC
    Thank you for the update. Hope you enjoyed GDC. It's a blast there. :)

17. Vernimator

May 26, 2009
    Charlotte Area, NC
    From the Twitter page for DS...

"Hey y'all - we're sorry for all the confusion about the DS 1.1 update. Just for you, FREE DOWNLOAD for Curious Elixirs 164-209-433. Enjoy!"

18. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Strange - after the update, I can't access my bought expansions "Shambling Dead" and "Dragontomb" anymore?

Ah, ok - just saw and will redownload them.

19. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Nice.

On the other hand, i just experienced another crash last night that destroyed my best scoring game ever. I noticed the phone started slowing down in responses, and then a turn or two later and the game quit. I tried relaunching, and the game was gone. :(

20. ckoz

ckoz Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Yeah I want to like this game so much but the crashes are completely ruining it for me. If the game lasts long enough to get into the last 20 or so cards of the deck it's almost guaranteed to crash.