iPad Dungeon Solitaire (Developer's Official Thread)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Saucepolicy, Feb 26, 2010.

1. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Well, I just experienced a new bug. Was down to maybe 8 cards. Had five Heroes on the field and drew one which wiped out all remaining Monsters and was eager to see my new highest score ever on the list...and then the crash and a blank screen. Great.

Yes, I post a lot for someone who has rated the game 1 star (deservedly so). I'm frustrated and would really like to see this improved and debugged. Tonight's episode was the most frustrating of all.

2. DreamPod

DreamPod Active Member

May 1, 2009
    When you restarted the game, did it continue from that point and let you enter your high score? It let me do so after I got a phone call on the "You Win!" screen.

3. justingamer

justingamer Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    the graphic looks really good

4. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    I wish. It just went to the phone's home screen.

5. DreamPod

DreamPod Active Member

May 1, 2009
    #125 DreamPod, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
    I mean when you restarted the game *after* that. The game continues from where you left off when the game gets interrupted, and as I discovered, it even does that on the "You Win!" screen.

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I've had several crashes, most of them were at game end (before seeing the victory/defeat screen)

I've noticed this behavior. But it doesn't come back from crashes.

Has anyone else had it where the game pauses just as you've drawn a card, right before it displays? I've seen that a couple of times, probably memory related (as it loads the card graphics to display)

7. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    it got to the point where the I played the 6th Hero and there were multiple explosions in the five slots for the Monsters, then the screen went blank and I was back at the iphone home screen.

8. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Re a pause when you select a card, yes and often.

9. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Yeah, I see that a lot as well.

Regarding the crash - I had an interesting, similar experience last night. After winning, the game seemed to freeze as it was trying to load the "you got a high score" screen. But I let it sit there to see if it would recover - and it did, but very slowly. The keyboard came up and pressing Done was slow to respond. After it finally finished, I just quit the game. Really odd though.

Actually, my phone in general has been having issues - I can no longer do backups cuz they take like 15 hours and transfer around 30k files. And swiping through app pages sometimes is delayed. I'm planning on taking it into the Apple store to see if they can do something, but it's starting to get ridiculous. Apple really needs to get their butts in gear and fix these memory management and file storage issues. I mean really - 30K files!! And with a device that's running OSX, you shouldn't have to restart it every time you install a large application. I don't have to do that with my Mac... :p

10. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I'd start looking at apps - some of them store a billion small files and slow backups way the heck down. I've got 483 apps on my iPod Touch, weighing in at about 10 GB, and my backups take 15-20 minutes tops. Also, backups are incremental - which means if you let it sit 15 hours, your next backup should be a lot shorter unless much has changed. Try not to buy apps/music/etc on the device and try to backup after getting new apps.

The last time I had 6+ hour backups it was due to SID Player storing all it's downloaded files separately, once they switched to a database that went away. I've heard of a number of other apps causing the same thing.

11. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Yeah, I'd heard the facebook and linkedin apps can cause that. But I removed facebook, and it didn't make a difference. I could try removing linkedin (though I'd really like to keep it). I also heard that if you do a backup and restore, that would fix the problem, but no go. It was weird too - backups were around 20k for a while, and then quickly jumped to 30k recently. But I uninstall and install apps all the time, so it's hard to track what could be causing this. Also, it's hard to say if backups having been incremental recently since I've cancelled most of them. I did do a full backup about a month ago and haven't backed up since. Guess I could try it and see how long it takes. Also interesting point about not buying apps directly on my iphone - is that because the installer files, etc. remain on the phone? I do buy/download apps quite a bit on my iphone...

12. Serpentdivine

Serpentdivine Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Game Impressions

I like this game as a pick up and play time waster. The strategies quickly become fairly obvious and then it's a matter of luck at to if you'll win or not (slightly more complex if you're trying to maximize your gold).

It is worth the $2.

Booster cards (7 each) are a $1 which seems silly to me as I don't think they will do particularly much to change the game (excepting the odds).

13. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    You'll have to try removing apps one at a time and syncing and see.

Also, since it's been a month (and you cancelled your last backup) you will have to suffer through the long backup once - let it run overnight, whatever. When you cancel your current backup, it hoses the one you last took (great design there, Apple :rolleyes:) After you get a successful backup, make a copy of the directory and rename it with date/time/whatever so you can put it back in case of aborted backups in the future.

Completely agree. I bought the expansions not so much in that I felt they were worth the money, but to support the developer/game (i.e. voting with my wallet ;))

The game is very playable without the extra cards. That being said, I do really like how you can turn the expansions on/off - that was well designed.

14. Griptogrammer

Griptogrammer Active Member

Mar 5, 2010
    iPhone Programmer
    Redmond,WA
    #134 Griptogrammer, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
    Not memory related - if your device is running out of memory, it will generally only do one of two things: crash the currently-running app to the home screen, or pause everything temporarily while other apps running in the background clear their memory (you often see this in Dungeon Solitaire as a couple-second pause while a card is flipping out of the draw pile, since it's loading a new card and they take up a lot of memory). If you are seeing your device crash to the home screen a lot, try rebooting your device - hold the reset button until you get the option to "Slide to power off", do so, and once it's done turning off turn it back on again.

No, this is a real bug where if a monster is chased up or down and then put in a situation where it should bump a hero *after* that bump, instead of chasing the hero nothing happens and the hero just disappears (it isn't even killed, you lose no gold). This bug has been fixed in the 1.1 update (and was discovered *right before* the update went up!), which we are still waiting on Apple to finish reviewing.

As a reminder, this is the official description of what's new in the update:
    - Fixed the "stalemate" bug
    - Balance tweaks
    - Stability improvements
    - Support for future expansions

15. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Ok cool - it was actually the only time I've experienced the bug, so not a big deal. But good that you guys caught it.

16. aliceinwonderland

Mar 6, 2010
    I love the art style of this game.

Excellent solitaire card game and easy to pick up! ;)

17. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    1.1 is up on iTunes.

18. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    it is? I'm not seeing it on my iphone.

19. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    It's not on my iPhone either but it shows on iTunes, v 1.1 updated March 11, 2010.

20. DreamPod

DreamPod Active Member

May 1, 2009
    Yeah, it didn't show up in my "to be updated" list, but I searched for it in the App Store on my phone, and it showed version 1.1, so I'm now downloading it.