iPad Dungeon Solitaire (Developer's Official Thread)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Saucepolicy, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Vernimator

Vernimator Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    3D Artist, Mobile App Developer
    Charlotte Area, NC
    Looks GREAT on the iPad!!!! I did a fresh install and had to "re-purchase" the expansion packs.. The ones I had purchased previously were downloaded for free. :)

2. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Just got the newest version today. First thing I noticed is battle animations are much faster (this is a good thing) and it SEEMS more stable. My Touch 2G was crashing about 50% of the time for any game that lasted more than 75% of the deck. I haven't had a crash yet and played some long games.

There's a new 'Dungeoneering' leaderboard which seems to be tied to your wins. Not sure if it's linear or if you can score more points for a win. It's probably my imagination, but it also seems easier. My win ratio is about 1:3, but I won the the last 5 games I played in a row. I thought maybe they reshuffled unwinnable decks, but not sure. Probably just some good luck.

Lastly, anyone try the new expansion 'Unearthed Colossus' and have some feedback on the new cards? I have all the other expansions but haven't had a chance to try this one yet.

Keep up the great work! This game still occupies a coveted first page slot on my Touch :)

3. ShazamFTW

ShazamFTW New Member

Apr 6, 2010
    #203 ShazamFTW, Apr 6, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
    First off, love the game. Mainly registered here to discuss it. :)

Have every expansion, the Colossus expansion basically adds a few thing.

A huge 7/6 guy that makes me sad.
    A "gold piece" dragon egg or something that is -1 & x3 gold. Something else to bolster that score (#2 on the leaderboards, had #1 for like an hour... doh)

And a couple of extra men on your side, another 4/4, a 5/3, and a 4/2.

It's a dollar people, spend it. :p

But, to my knowledge, there have been 3 freebies thus far, Lost Potions, Curious Elixirs, and Baloran Bounty.

Are there any that I've missed? The whole allure of following a Twitter thing makes me wants to wretch, so I'm passing on that...

But overall, an excellent game, well worth the $, and will probably buy every expansion from here on out.

Also, is anybody else not getting "The Horde" achievement to trigger? I've had well over a million 4 times, and it refuses to budge. I already e-mailed Feint and they said it's DS's coding, not theirs (not that it's truly to be believed, but whatever), and I already shot the developers a feedback thing, but no response. Just wondering if I'm the only one.

4. kennfusion

kennfusion Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 2, 2008
    Brooklyn, New York
    Do we know how the dungeoneering score is calculated? It seems like it goes both up and down?

5. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Ugh, I played a game of this last night and got an annoying crash - the game just quit, and when I reloaded, it hadn't saved anything. This is maybe the 3rd time this has happened. :mad:

Sucked too cuz I was at around 20K and in a great position to make some good cash - had I think a 4/4 with 2x gold on him, a 5/5, and an 8/1 toward the bottom with push down on him.

6. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Game Impressions

30 games, sadly, rating remains a 1. 14 wins, 15 losses, 1 draw. The leaderboard now has a category for Dungeoneering, whatever that is. I briefly made it up to 10th place just after the update was put online but even with a relatively decent won/lost percentage, I am nowhere now.

The game has the same problems as before. Way too many decisions become trivial or worse yet, forced. Klondike is more fun for me. Sorry. Nice idea, but it could be so much more!

Will likely delete soon. Just waiting to see if there might be another update. I really, really wish I could like this game more. Current fave: Pocket Legends.

7. Griptogrammer

Griptogrammer Active Member

Mar 5, 2010
    iPhone Programmer
    Redmond,WA
    The Dungeoneering Score is a measurement of game wins compared with the total number of games played, so losing will lower your score (and your position on the "Top Dungeoneers" leaderboard). Note that it's setup to not really "kick in" until you've played 50 games - until that point, the score won't ever go down, it'll just go up with every win.

8. Griptogrammer

Mar 5, 2010
    iPhone Programmer
    Redmond,WA
    Prepare, for Version 2.5 of Dungeon Solitaire has been submitted to Apple! In just a few days you too could be experiencing new expansions, more statistics, and even a new way to play! And for those iPad owners out there, you'll finally get online leaderboards and achievements through OpenFeint!

9. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Cool, I was just wondering recently if/when another update was coming for this. Especially looking forward to the "new way to play".

10. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    Here are the details on the update:

• A free expansion! The Siege of Wolfcairn adds new heroes, monsters, traps, and items. Adds some nice variety into the game, especially when you're playing with...
    • New "Abyssal Mirror" expansion available in the Card Shop featuring new cards and a new ability called "Mirror." On a tie it duplicates the subject and bumps him up. It obviously appears on a few monsters, but also on a Trap which means that you can give it to your heroes... this one is definitely the most sophisticated new ability yet.
    • Play with Random Deck. This option pulls a 56-card deck together from all owned expansions. (And no, it's not totally random, it pulls cards in set percentages from heroes, monsters, treasures, et cetera, so you won't end up with a deck with 2 heroes and 54 monsters). While this does throw some more luck into the game, it's quite a bit of fun to play in this mode when you can't count on certain cards being in that deck.
    • The GDC Baloran Bounty mini-expansion is now unlocked for everyone!
    • A Statistics Screen is now viewable from the High Score menu, including stats such as Longest Winning Streak and some other fun ones.
    • OpenFeint leaderboards and achievements now enabled on iPads
    • iPad optimizations
    • Improved stability and bug fixes (including a fairly big memory leak fix)
    • Iron Shield improved to a +1/+1, which should make base games slightly easier (this was the original design, but got missed in the database)

11. ckoz

ckoz Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Bug Report

Love the new update but seem to have run across a bug. Every time I draw the new "Niggling Redcaps" card the game crashes to the home screen. Playing on an iPhone 3G.

12. Griptogrammer

Mar 5, 2010
    iPhone Programmer
    Redmond,WA
    Yeah, just saw that, sorry. Easy fix for version 2.51, but gotta wait for Apple to approve it and all.

The card, specifically, is Niggling Redcaps from the Abyssal Mirror expansion, and the problem only occurs on iPhone, not on iPad. It crashes the game, but you don't lose any data or anything.

13. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I'm seeing a weird graphical glitch in this version.

when drawing a new card my gold count and the card in the armory pile flash through. The switch from the large card to the mini is also very jarring for me, has something changed recently? I don't remember the change be so harsh

I'm also unable to add card codes in manually but I'm pretty sure it's a bug in OS 4.0 where it won't let the game call the keyboard up.

14. kennfusion

kennfusion Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 2, 2008
    Brooklyn, New York
    I am finding it to be more unstable with the new update. I have been having trouble completing games without crashing and the game state is not saved.

Personally, as far as I am concerned these problems have been persistent in all versions of the game and it is really too bad as I think it is a great game that you just don't seem to be able to fix.

15. ForgeDweller

ForgeDweller New Member

May 16, 2010
    Couple of Probs

Hi,

I've really enjoyed the game from the first download, however I've had a couple issues with the latest update:

1) I agree with the previous post - drawing cards from the deck has a choppier transition.

2) I've gotten the previous expansions (Lost Potions, Dragontomb, Shambling Dead, Unearthed Colossus, Baloran Bounty, Curious Elixers, Casual Magician and Siege of Wolfcairn) however I when I go to the card shop it doesn't show Abyssal Mirror. In spite of this when I play Random Deck it uses Abyssal Mirror cards.

3) There seems to be another set of cards with a Jewel at the bottom right base - i haven't seen any details for this expac either - is it one that I haven't seen the unlock codes for? Again it only seems to come up when I play Random Deck. The cards I've seen so far are:
    Rejuvenation Chamber; Sunken Jewels; Gaudy Baubles; Styx Coins;
    Wolfcairn Captain

Thanks
    FD

16. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #216 LordGek, May 16, 2010
    Last edited: May 16, 2010
    Aren't some decks, after a long enough delay, then added into what is considered the core card set? Perhaps the Abyssal Mirror cards have been rolled into the main deal at this point (hold on, that is the latest expansion so that makes no sense)?

17. ForgeDweller

ForgeDweller New Member

May 16, 2010
    I don't think so, these seem to be new and I've been playing for a while and thought I'd added all the packs that were available.

I've seen a few more cards in the Jewel set - Queen Talysin, Obsidian Bodyguard and Goldplated Golem - all with the regenaration ability. Fairly cool from the look of it but I'd still like to know how to activate it without using random deck.

My only complaint about this set is that the treasure cards seem a bit unrewarding - they're +1/+1 one with a move down and the other with curse, yet the multipliers are only about x3 - as opposed to the original Treasure Chest which is +1/+1 and has no special ability with it, but has a multiplyer of x5. Seems a bit silly.

18. Griptogrammer

Mar 5, 2010
    iPhone Programmer
    Redmond,WA
    As was mentioned above, there is currently a crash on iPhone/iPod Touch in the Abyssal Mirror expansion with the Niggling Redcaps card. We submitted an update last Tuesday, but Apple is still testing it. In the meantime, the Abyssal Mirrors expansion was disabled from the App Store to cut down on people experiencing crashes (but if you purchased it, you won't lose the expansion).

Right now there is a limited preview of future decks if you play with RandomDeck - normally you'll only see cards from expansions you have purchased/unlocked, but for the next couple versions RandomDeck will also give you preview cards.

19. Griptogrammer

Mar 5, 2010
    iPhone Programmer
    Redmond,WA
    Apple finally approved 2.5.1! (took them a week...) Abyssal Mirror is purchasable again, since the crash with its card has been fixed. Also fixed the weird flash and a couple other small issues. Enjoy the free demo of the new expansions in RandomDeck!

20. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Unless I'm missing it, are the card ability symbols explained in any sort of in-game help?