Universal Dungeon Quest (by Shiny Box Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Shiny Box LLC

Shiny Box LLC Well-Known Member

No, you will NOT have to purchase IAP's again. When the server system is up and running you will be able to log on to the account, upload your iOS data to the server then play it on your Shield. Download the data from our server on your shield and all of your progress will follow you.

As a side note, proper control configurations will be coming to the Shield as well.

2. terrence92

terrence92 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2013

Awesome thanks guys!

3. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    So I've played a lot but never looked into the hire system can anyone tell me exactly how it works? I have a warrior but he's only level 3 as I decided to be Wizard. Do you need scrolls to use him each time you play? What happens when he dies and are the levels difficulty increased through having two of you there instead? Just anything really.

4. christopherrocs

christopherrocs Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2013
    #364 christopherrocs, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    Guess I'm the oddball, but I perfer the warrior over the wizard. Nothing makes me happier then running in a huge circle of monsters on difficulty 8 and killing them cause u have a crazy amount of health! Question for the dev: is this game successful enough that we will get a good amount of updates? Also, I would love if you did a paid expansion for another hundred or so levels, I would definetly buy that for .99 or 1.99!
    EDIT: definetly preferred new acts

5. christopherrocs

christopherrocs Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Also, anyway to turn adds back on? I want this dev getting the money they deserve

6. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    I tried the hire feature yesterday for the first time. I was playing as a Warrior and hired my Wizard. I didn't have a hire scroll, so I just tapped hire from the Dungeon Crawl screen and paid the fee in gold to hire him. You do not need to pay again every time you play. You can also toggle whether he comes with you or not and don't have to pay again to re-hire him. I don't know what happens if the hireling dies though as that hasn't happened to me yet.

As far as the difficulty increasing when you hire someone, as far as I can tell it doesn't, and in fact that's what I didn't like about it. I hired my wizard character, who was at about the same level as my warrior, and next thing I know I'm having to compete with him to even kill anything, since he's killing everything almost faster than I can get to it. I then tried just not doing anything to see if the wizard would handle all the enemies, and he did. So I could just let the AI do all the fighting and pick up the loot if I were so inclined, but for me that would be boring since the fighting it what I mainly enjoy about the game. This was on enemy power 6 by the way, with the floor being in the teens and my character level in the 20s. Maybe I just need to put the enemy power to 8 if I'm going to play with a hireling, but it just seemed a little unbalanced. Maybe I need to experiment with purposefully underpowering my hireling so he doesn't steal the show like that. Does this work out better (more balanced) once I get to higher floors, or is this just what it's like using a hireling?

7. You do not need scrolls to hire, you can alternatively use gold to hire which costs (Hired Character level * 100g). They stay hired until they die, so keep them safe :)

We have a lot more coming for Dungeon Quest, not just including the Rogue but more ways to progress, new items and item types, new ways to modify gear, essentially just more of everything! Keep letting us know what you'd like to see as well, it definitely influences what we develop next.

8. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    ETA on server upload fix?

9. lidralyn

lidralyn Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2013
    I don't think I have seen this affix on anything but I would like to see pickup radius on items. I always liked being able to increase the distance so you could make a set with max Gold Find, Max Pickup, and Max Luck with an explosive staff and just farm like crazy!

10. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    #370 Havelcek, Apr 14, 2014
    Is there a simple way to do side-by-side gear comparisons for same slot, like the mouseover effect in Diablo?

As an example, maybe someone can explain the gear difference here:

Epic Shield
    100 DPS
    Bash
    MP: 66
    5.3% Arcane Dmg
    +29 Armor
    +0.53% MP Leech
    +59.0 MP Regen
    +198 HP
    +2.7% Dodge
    IL 4 - 344 gp

Rare Shield
    209 DPS
    Bash
    MP: 132
    +7.2% Gold Find
    +0.60% HP Leech
    +2.8% Attack Spd
    +12.7 Arcane Resist
    -10.08% MP Cost
    IL 13 - 468 gp

My weapon is a rare axe, 713 DPS, no elemental. According to the STATS tab, my DPS is 100 points higher with the Epic shield - why??

11. nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Twister is goddamn absurd

12. GoleX

GoleX Member

May 10, 2012
    [​IMG]

In the review queue since Saturday, hopefully in the next few days!

13. mw1

mw1 Active Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Maybe it's the arcane damage? You might wana try restat-ing that shield to level it up though.

14. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Does your hireling get exp or just your character?

15. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Oh dang I thought it was just something that could be fixed internally.

16. They both get exp and both can loot items. You can even manage your hired character's inventory and stats while they are hired as well!

Sadly we need a client fix in addition to the server work we're doing to fully address the problem. The server work will be ongoing but the client fix should at least let you log in successfully and upload/download your data, with just a few possible outages.

17. myopicpaideia

myopicpaideia Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 31, 2012
    CFO
    Sweden
    Is the game really limited to only the 4 different "worlds" or tile sets with the same boss monster at the end of each, that you just play through over and over?

Just started playing and am on level 23 with the wizard character, haven't even gotten long enough in to get a hireling, but it seems like it will get pretty tedious if there are only 4 worlds that you cycle through over and over again with the same bosses to boot, just stronger, I am assuming?? Larger, longer floors?

Love the gameplay, the advancement, the mechanics, but it seems like there is a huge potential here that is being completely ignored??? :(

A game that looks and plays like this with a storyline and an expansive world would completely blow any other iOS or mobile action RPG out of the water, including the likes of Oceanhorn. Throw in some rudimentary switches and simple puzzles, and you are in cult classic territory.

Realise that is probably not what you are going for here, but I am just saying...and apologies if I am just impatient and don't see the added depth in other areas!?

18. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I agree. Would love this type of engine/game used as an RPG with missions etc and non linear gameplay. Don't get me wrong I'm loving this, excited to see what the devs come out with next

19. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    definitely would love like 10 different tile sets to be added :cool:...

20. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #380 Cilo, Apr 14, 2014
    It's most likely basing it on another piece you have that is buffing arcane damage. I would still take base attack speed over anything tied to an element, you'll get a higher dps output regardless of what the stat page may be telling you.

And to the comment above about switches and puzzles, idk that's a whole other genre. I personally love the design how it is, it could use more environmental things similar to pocket rpg, like destructible things, hidden areas, more enemy types, and more tile sets and bosses, but I wouldn't play this game if it was similar to Oceanhorn. I dropped Oceanhorn after the first 20 minutes of gameplay due to me already owning every Zelda, I didn't need an inferior iOS version.

I would look more towards torchlight or diablo as inspiration to further expanding this game rather than anything adventure based.

I think the natural implementation could be a town hub with standard merchants selling/buying items, enchants, and pet vendor, rather than just the menu windows. Although that might be a bit of a stretch as it would involve designing other assets to the game, but it would definitely add to the immersion.