Universal Dungeon Quest (by Shiny Box Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I have about 4 legendary items then. All mage stuff.

2. stbsteve

stbsteve Active Member

May 20, 2012
    Just had to chip in to say what an awesome game this is - totally loving the Diablo feel and am really getting a total loot buzz. This is definitely freemium done right - you can enjoy the core mechanic without putting up a penny but there are enhancements for you to take if you want - THIS IS HOW THE WORLD SHOULD BE.

Kudos to the devs, and to the fact your on TA talking about your game - I'd offer to name my child after you, but it seems impractical - so I've just bought a few add ons to support.

3. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Oh man, put some time into the wizard today and I feel like the Warrior definitely needs a buff. I don't even think there's any contest, the wizard is way more powerful + more range. Wizard has way better weapons and even the offhand weapons are better (summoning is the best). I started on a higher difficulty on the first level and just breezed through it barely taking any damage.

4. skeletonlord

skeletonlord Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Yeah. I chose the wizard this morning and am currently in the desert area. Looks like the level designs are pretty neat too, but are pretty similar. I personally think more loot is needed because at the moment, it looks like the wizard can use gauntlets, staffs and wands. Is there any other wizard weapons?

I also really like the spells the wizard can do. The ice spell is definitely the best. At times, I feel quite underpowered. Perhaps I need to increase more into power?

Also, how does the uploading and downloading the save file work? I created an account and the game took a while to verify, but how does the upload/download function work?

5. lanights

lanights Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2009
    I got so hooked on this game, I bought the $10 IAP. Not often will I shell out that much for an ios game, but I simply cannot put it down and want access to everything this gem has to offer. Thanks devs for an awesome and addicting game, a rare treat indeed. Hopefully there will even be updates coming as well. Either way, I've gotten my money's worth and more as is.

6. aceofspadez

aceofspadez Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Loving this game
    Feels great distorying things with my warrior and my Mage on the side,
    Warrior does need a buff though, Mage is doing much more dps

7. symmetrian

symmetrian Active Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Just wanted to be another voice saying this thing is great. Can't wait to see what gets added.

8. aceofspadez

aceofspadez Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Just got a sick 3,600 legendary sword dps,
    Wish it was an axe though ( best warrior weapon imo) with hammer being by far the worse... Had a legendary one and didn't even use it because hammer skills are just bad

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I think this is one huge example of a game being freemium and people NOT having to go crazy thinking its all doom and gloom. This is a great example of a game set right in the freemium world.

It actually has the opposite on me, as i dont feel 'pushed' to buy IAP's and there doesnt seem to be a paywall i'm actually then happy spending $5-$10 on an IAP as a 'thanks' to the dev.

Loving this so far, controls well, seems to be a lot of content, probably my game of the week

10. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    #190 L.Lawliet, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    Don't put any into mana. It's really not necessary since mana regen is so common. Health regen is way more useful since you have less health to go around.

Wizards have a sword that pierces enemies. All in all, the wizards weapons are generally all powerful.

I'd say the Tome is the best Mage off-hand. It summons freakin 3 helpers with good health and they barely cost anything. I'm basically running around dungeons with a 4 member party and enemies will attack them while i sit in the back and pick up loot.

I think the axe is the best with the worst animation because it makes me dizzy how he spins himself EVERY attack gah.. I wish he'd just side swipe the axe. The hammer is actually my favorite weapon because it feels like the other weapons are just way way better (weird I know). The hammer also has my favorite animations because I feel power when I hit, unlike the swords that are hitting butter. Also I think the hammer's secondary is my favorite. Multiple enemies for power damage, great for lined up mobs. However I can see why using all other weapons are better purely because they are all way faster.

11. chespace

chespace Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Yes, chiming in to also say that this is by far the best Diablo clone on iOS. And to be technical, I think it feels more like Torchlight than anything else. Very slick, very addictive, and just scratches that loot and "one more floor" itch like nothing else.

I haven't tried Warrior yet but the Wizard is insane. I have a level 23 Wizard now doing 6621 DPS with 1.9 attacks per second. I can also summon 7 creatures to fight for me and I have a 2200+ instant heal spell hot buttoned as my third ability.

I'm unstoppable on any difficult except 8, so I'm going through the ice temple now on level 8. :p

I also bought a pet -- an imp, which gives me rare loot by letting him collect the junky loot (every 5 gets me a rare piece). I paid .99 for this pet as mostly a thank you to the devs. This is indeed freemium done extremely right. It's almost too generous and I actually feel a little bad for the devs.

BTW, you don't have to buy pets necessarily. Right after I bought my imp, I actually found a dog as loot drop.

Anyway, big thumbs up here.

12. Shiny Box LLC

Shiny Box LLC Well-Known Member

@lanights THANK YOU for the support
    @stbsteve thanks for the great comments....also Steve seems like a good kid name!
    @L.Lawlait The warrior becomes a BAD @SS. Some of his talents are really REALLY awesome.

13. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Just curious, summoning 8 creatures, is that a feature on higher level items? So I'm assuming the main abilities on some off-hand weapons are different? I always guessed they'd each summon 3 no matter which type you'd pick up.

And yes let's all make the dev rich so he can make an awesome sequel at some point :)

14. kenken11

kenken11 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Dear dev, a suggestion.

Would like a female version of Mage and warrior. Since the skills will be the same, I guess creating a female version of the avatar won't be that hard?

Since most of the gamers are guys, having some hot busty female version of Mage and warrior would attract more players :)

Thanks for this fun game.

15. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    Controls question - it seems like you can't attack while backpedalling...you can only attack in the direction you are facing. Am I missing anything?

16. Shiny Box LLC

@Havelcek you are right about that. There are some attacks that have homing properties that will attack enemies behind you. Also there are some area of effect skills that you can use to effect areas all around your character (these vary by class).

@kenken11 We don't have a modular character design system in place BUT we do have a female character on the way!

17. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    A heal on the mage? How do you get that skill? I thought the classes only had 3 skills?

18. Seiza616

Seiza616 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2012
    I love the game thus far! Are the developers planning to add several new levels/floors beyond what is currently available?

19. Shiny Box LLC

Yup! Right now we have a rotating 4 act setup through floor 200. Soon there will be more.....challenging maps :)

20. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Cloest thing to Torchlight we have on IOS period.