Universal Dungeon Plunder by Dominic Duchesne (Universal)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by undeadcow, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    You CAN win most roguelikes. It just takes a lot of luck and skill. There is no greater gaming statisfaction then actually beating a roguelike. I've been playing Nethack on and off for most of my life...if retrieve the orb of whatchamacallit and make it out alive, I can probably retire from video gaming a happy man.

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Personally, on the iPad I'd like to see the slots interface pop/slide up from the bottom, leaving the map showing on top. Make the interface roughly the same size as it would be on an iPhone, perhaps moving the spin/skill buttons to the sides of the slots and make them larger.

Also, I can envision this being really nice with the iPad held in portrait mode.

Loving the game so far, it feels a lot like Heroes of Might & Magic II with slots instead of tactical battles.

3. They should hit for the same amount although strategically the small axes are riskier to keep since they don't pair up with the combo symbols.

Thanks for reporting I'll have a look.

4. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Well it is the nature of the genre. Dying that is. My relatively minor gripe is that I must rename a new character each time I start over. I realize that sounds trite, but I just want to get on with it.

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    That reminds me, the game capitalizes the first letter in your name, for example if I type in "drelbs" the character gets named "Drelbs" - though not a huge deal.

6. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #106 undeadcow, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    That's got to be a sign of Perfection with criticisms like this coming in. I'd be curious to see what a formal Touch Arcade review would say.

7. Grungebob

Grungebob Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Love the game so far!

8. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Given the number of comments, I wouldn't be surprised to see a TA review/feature shortly.

I'll pick this up soon; I just bought iMini by Arturia and San Juan/Puerto Rico HD (whichever one is on sale), so I need to let my account cool down for a bit. Just added another 15 dollar GC because I hate seeing my account drop below 50 bucks.

9. Naked Snake

Naked Snake Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    I died in my first fight, against a brown rat!

10. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    You will get better. Just keep an eye on your health and consider holding defense shields when you can, to stock up and buffer damage. Also, don't be afraid of special abilities.

11. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    update : i now played a bit on the iphone, and as others said, a better experience with slots. flows better and looks better. to be honest, i dont know how to best fix it,but something i would look into if you get sales enough to justify ui improvements :)

also it seems that playing thief class keeps me alive longer haha, perhaps thats why i felt the batles could drag out a bit too long ? by playing safe,building poison, armour and heal if i get hit it overall seems to survive better than other two class. need to play more to verify my own claim :)

but all said. i so much prefere such games than any mainatream "free" game any day. keep it up

12. I'll see what I can do ;)

And don't run in mobs with a red X - they're bad news! :)

13. Naked Snake

Jan 14, 2013
    One time I matched two knives/swords in a row and didn't do damage, do you need 3 in a row?

14. Beergut

Beergut New Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Purchased and enjoying my time with the game.

I do have one question. When I am in battle, my health (which appears next to the heart in the lower left) never changes in value.
    e.g. if I start the battle with 30/30, it will stay at 30/30 throughout the battle even when it says I am taking damage.
    Am I stupidly misreading something here? (quite possible!)

15. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #115 undeadcow, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    Depending on the class you are playing some tiles are worthless and undesirable. Only a rogue can damage with daggers, only a warrior with axes, and a mage only attacks with wands. For example, if you match 5 double axes with a rogue then it will have no impact because that weapon is incompatible with your character class.
    First enemies will deplete your shields (armor) before impacting your health. If you have a high sheild then your health will not be decreased by an attack. If your health is depleted to 10/30 but you match shield tiles then those newly acquired shield tiles will further protect your health.

16. Beergut

Beergut New Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Kitchener, Ontario
    That explains that! My mistake :)
    Thanks so much for the explanation.

17. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    How do the life scrolls work? I apparently should get some with my next character but then when that character dies... he just dies... there's no opportunity to use a scroll at any time that I can see?

Jamie.

18. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    After each turn, if you have a life scroll, there is a scroll in the bottom right corner. Tap that image to use the life scroll. You have to manually activate them when you see fit. You can not use a life scroll mid-turn (I imagine this is due to balance reasons).
    There's a lot more strategy that you might be overlooking; I encourage you to skim the help manual.

19. Naked Snake

Jan 14, 2013
    I'm enjoying the game. I feel character movement is very awkward though.

20. Oscar Streaker

Oscar Streaker Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Game Impressions

Great game! Some really nicely thought out features. I particularly like how the slot special abilities make battles a little more strategic. There are some things that might be nice in future revs though, like:

The ability to read enemy stats on touch

Highlight to aid in identifying target/destination tile when moving

Optional 'Do you want to fight this enemy?' prompt for those with sausage fingers ;)

Highlight/flash/particle effect on characters when they take damage, instead of simply text at the top and bottom of the slot machine.

Anyway, congrats on making a fun app!