Universal Dungeon Plunder by Dominic Duchesne (Universal)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by undeadcow, Mar 5, 2013.

1. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    So what is annoying to me is the fact I must re-create my character every time I die. Its a game where dying is frequent! I can choose my class and all that but as quick as it is, it is annoying to have to name the character each and every time. And it won't take just one letter as an acceptable name. Make an auto naming if you must, or something that lets me skip that screen. When I die I want to play again!!!!

The other thing is that you have to back out of all the menus - like if you look at equipment you have to back out the screens you look at before exiting. Just make a direct exit button.

(the theme of my gripes seems to be less tapping more playing)

Otherwise the game is quite fun. The slots battle system is quite nice. Not as bad as people who clearly haven't played the game are making it out to be. I am enjoying it very much even though I stink.

How random are the maps? It seems I always start with the shop next to me and the enemies that are my level to the north east of me. Every time I have played.

2. Bone16

Bone16 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Not a fan of dying frequently. How long can you play on average before dying? Will all my stats carry over to the new character I make? Other than that it looks pretty fun.

3. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Last night I only made 2 guys. The first died in about 20 min. I went for about 2 hours on my second guy. Hit a few dungeons leveled up to about 5 or 6. Depending on your progress on your last guy, some things carry over for you to do better on the next run. For instance, on my next run, because of my last guy, I start with about 1000 gold, my best artifact from the last run, and a rune.

So not everything but it will certainly help push me further.
    This game is worth every penny spent. It is pretty awesome.

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Frequent death is a hallmark of roguelikes. The games are designed to be challenging. There's nothing about Dungeon Plunder that is cheap or unfair and with each death you get an "inheritance" from the previous character allowing you perks to advance quicker. Each class is diverse enough that replayability is good. Gameplay duration each play through depends on your attention and strategy but duration is typically satisfying to me.

5. Llamaentity

Llamaentity Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Noooo, just died a meaningless death at the hands of an ettin, halfway through level 9, on my first warrior character.

Unlocked a second intermediate rune, which I used on increasing chances of getting life scrolls, as those things are way handy at helping you get farther in the game. Can also start new warriors at level 5, that'll make subsequent attempts much quicker! Love that feature.

6. Naked Snake

Naked Snake Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    What is the third class, I know there's warrior and sorcerer. Some sort of rogue or assassin? I'm close to buying, all the impressions here are positive.

7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The third class is a rogue. In part, the rogue has a poison ability. As you acquire poison tiles the enemy will get additional damage or at times be stunned.

@Naked Snake - Respectfully I've never seen anyone debate so hard over getting a $1.99 app; you could have spent all that time playing... pull the trigger, it's worth it.

8. Llamaentity

Llamaentity Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Yep, rogue. Here's a screenshot of rogue-specific combat abilities and modifiers:

Attached Files:

9. cyllwynn

cyllwynn Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2011
    #89 cyllwynn, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    Got a chance to play for a few hours and wanted to follow up on my first post with some comments.

Game is great. Persistent elements with the whole runes and heirs. Leveling with stats and gear. Overland and dungeon and quest elements to mix things up.

Combat: Love it. Totally agree that if it was represented with dice like the one you showed no one would have said nearly as much about it. I like the slots, I like the die roll you showed. Both cool. Agree that thematically the dice gel a little more.

Combat: The ability to lock reels after the first spin and influence what comes up on following spins makes this much more tactical than something like King Cashing (btw love that one too, esp the new one!).

The cost and IAP for icons: I think that making an app at this point that is 1.99 and has no real lasting IAP is a super hard road to go unfortunately. At 1.99, they dev gets about 1.60 after the split. So every 100 copies he sells grosses him $160. This is before any costs for art, music, or the like come out. So every day that he sells 100 copies he makes 16/hour for every 10 hours put into this (still gross, I am sure it's less after expenses).

That is a tough way to make some money. If it is a super hit then he makes out... Just to put it in perspective if he sells 10,000 copies he makes ~16k before other costs which seems nice depending on those costs and how long it took to make.

Anyway. Just saying that I truly appreciate not going the freemium route here. Almost every day I spend $5 on a coffee at Starbucks that lasts me 30 minutes and then down the drain :). I have already played this game for 4 hours so far. The App economy is still very much skewed and frustrating in its infancy. Clearly this game is worth more to me at this point that the coffee, so why would I balk at 1.99, or even the additional 1.99 for skins to show my support for a job well done... but sometimes I am guilty of it too.

Comments / gripes : Only ones so far are minor UI elements.

Agree it looks better on iPhone than iPad. Agree that backing out of menus in a pain.

I would like a Character screen to see my stats and effects that runes and equip have on me.

edit: Oh yeah.. iCloud !!!!!

Finally why to small axes do less damage than large ones? I have tested it over and over and the large axes always do more damage, yet the info screen lists them as the same..

Anyway. Excellent work!

10. heretik

heretik Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Instabuy, no discussion.

11. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Howdy! Picked up the game on the praise of this thread and the dev's great interaction with the forum!

I do have a question, is iCloud support for syncing the game between iPhone and iPad implemented or planned?

12. Naked Snake

Naked Snake Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    Sorry, just trying to make a smart purchase.

13. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    #93 expleo, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    I dont understand people hesitating for a game costing 2$. If you have so little money, I suggest spend money on other things than games. if not, and you find dungeon plunder remotly interesting, i suggest just but it and support an indie who clearly made an effort. the only way to keep such games popping up :)

ok, so for game. to be honest, the mix of slot and rouge didnt work that much for me. for slot i pick up king cashing 1 or 2. the reason is that the combat takes "too long". im an old gamer. I spent hours opening every word puzzle chest in betrayal at krondor. but now im less patient.

when i play rougelike I want next boss, next treasure chest, next kill. wham bam bam. huge kudos to to you for having an actual possible game win, something i personaly miss in rougelikes. i want games winnable, and rather short to playtime instead of grinding too much.

also, I'd suggest put a little more effort to designing the slot ui on the ipad, it could benefit from face lift. one of the issues I guess, trying to please the growing list of "no universal=no buy" crowd. a pad and a phone are two different beasts, and design should not be the same for both device. and if you do 2 setups, game size gets trippleled.

anyway, it will stay on my pad a while, its a great steal (and shame) that games have so low price tag these days, and congrats, isee you have put lots of work into it.

14. aceyprime

aceyprime Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Game is fantastic - only major request from me is iCloud support! Great job, dev - really hope this does well.

15. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    This is in my top five favorite games this year. Great job with the game, I love it.

16. Thanks for buying it!

iCloud: I have to figure out how to do it with the current constraints of perma-death and the sharing of runes. I'd love to do it though.

I really don't mind doing the necessary adjustments (or put them as options, even better) in order to please certain iPad players. Do you feel having smaller symbols at the center of the screen would be easier to play so your arm would not move so much?

I'll add an exit out of the inventory screens in the first update.

Good idea. I'll write it down for future implementation

Yeah I know it's an uphill battle on the pricing strategy with premium+no currency purchase. I paid quite a bit in the art assets too since I'm not an artist myself.

Not gonna pay the mortgage with that one for sure but I am very happy with the sense of accomplishment.

I wanted to price it the way I'd have liked it as a player and hope that there is a sizable market of folks who still will encourage that counter-current way of thinking by adopting it and maybe even giving a shot at the extra models. I debated having rune purchases IAP tbh but didn't wanted to even give the illusion of a paywall with them - especially since it's my first title ever.

Again thanks everyone for buying and playing Dungeon Plunder!

17. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Thanks for the reply Dom! Not the end of the world if you can't implement iCloud, but sure would be groovy if you could! Planning on actually playing this for the first time at lunch today. Is there a preview of the Deluxe Character skins anywhere?

18. Press the models button on the main screen to see them.

I didn't wanted to bombard the players with iAP right after buying so it's fairly discreet. They're presented to the players when they create their 3rd character.

19. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Dying frequently is a feature present in most serious roguelikes (if there is such a thing as a serious roguelike). That's just how it is. Believe me, dying early is preferable to dying after hours and hours of playing. I used to play to death one of the most unforgiving roguelikes; ZAngband. I had characters which I played for probably 20 hours before dying and having to start over.

20. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Haha! :) I figured as much as I typed that question out. I was thinking its probably in game already. Look forward to playing this soon! Thanks again. :)