Universal Dungeon Plunder by Dominic Duchesne (Universal)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by undeadcow, Mar 5, 2013.

1. I still need to commission art for the new classes dice actually. Probably should also get art redone for the legacy symbols in higher resolution at the same time.

I'll split the card option separately right away before there's more votes in to see if there's really a demand for them so I don't waste money for nothing if no one would use.

2. blackbear219

blackbear219 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I think you should just take all the great ideas in the poll and start working on DP2 :)

3. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    #943 Enriana, May 14, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
    I also chose movement for iPads - being able to touch to move instead of tapping forever would be great. (Though tapping is sometimes best when trying to get around enemies.)

The other two from me were another class and more special encounters/objects - I'd love to see another class and think you could do nifty things with special shrines/fountains/so on.

I'm sure a lot of people will vote for higher difficulty when you've beaten the game, which I think is a good addition (though it wasn't in my top 3). I also think adding dungeon props is a great one. So I guess I have 3 with 2 runners up. ;)

Do you know what kind of class you'd be adding if that ends up winning? Is it going to be a surprise? ;) I'm sure we RPG players could offer some options that don't overlap much with what you have already if we put our minds to it.

4. There's some deeper stuff that I won't touch until Dungeon Plunder 2 like true randomized loot for example. I'll also space out a bit the updates as I'm starting to work on a new game which will share some of Dungeon Plunder's traits while not being a straight sequel. This one will also be available for Android devices.

Nothing definite at all so I'd love to read what you have in mind. For the monk I started from scratch twice before coming through with what it is now.

5. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    This = boss.

I'll have to head over to the website to vote ASAP.

6. Enriana

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    Well, you asked for it.. ;) This ended up being way longer/more in-depth than I originally intended. I blame a combination of a long-time gamer grrl and reader of fantasy novels.

Those are the only ones I could brainstorm right away, but other classes typically seen in RPGs that you could use:
    Alchemist - relies on different kinds of potions for abilities?
    Assassin - hard not to duplicate a rogue, have an ability to become invisible & get a very high chance of missing the next attack
    Cleric - could summon light, have a blinding ability

7. dwerny

dwerny Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    FYI the patch is available now and the ranger defense glitch is fixed.

8. Great ideas there Enriana. Thanks for taking the time to write it out.

The key to this eventual new class will be to have some cool mechanic/ability to not only make it unique but give the player satisfaction when they shine like on a killer spin with Inner Focus :)

9. Enriana

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    You're very welcome! And yeah, I don't have any experience with designing or developing games and would be lost when trying to figure out mechanics, but now at least you have some raw material for potential classes.

And while I have yet to try Warrior & Monk, I've gotten satisfying, shiny moments with the other classes (including Inner Focus.. five bow+claw symbols. Bam). I'm pretty sure it (or another reel-holding ability) saved my life when I got hearts all the way around. Definitely a good thing to aim for. :D

It looks like the new class option has fallen a bit in the polls; but I'm glad to see special encounters/objects there, as well as different dungeon tiles. I didn't really pay attention to how blank the dungeons were until the poll, haha, but it'd be a great addition. :)

Looking forward to the changes!

10. blackbear219

Dec 20, 2012
    Are the achievements for doing 150 and 300 damage in a single round bugged? I've done 400+ with my ranger many times and never unlocked them.

I'm pretty frigging stuck on my starting level 18 ranger at this point. I can get to 19 pretty easily and sometimes 20...oh so close, but oh soooooo far.

Also, the first time I got my ranger to 18+ and died I unlocked a legendary rune. I haven't unlocked a rune since, what's up with that?

11. I'm on the road atm so can't check the code but I'll have a look at the damage achievements when I'm back home. They should have triggered.

Runes won't be granted if you did a run with a small level span (i.e. from 18 to 20) even if you died at a high level. You'd have received a rune (more than likely legendary) if you did, say, a 13 to 19 run.

You'll complete the game about 3 times with different classes before you filled all your runes basically :)

12. blackbear219

Dec 20, 2012
    That raises my next question.

Do the different tiers of runes stack with each other or overwrite each other? In other words, if I unlocked every single legendary rune, would there be any point in going back to try to unlock some of the lesser runes?

13. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    The more powerful rune "overwrites" or replaces lesser runes of the same type.

14. blackbear219

Dec 20, 2012
    Ok, thanks. Time to play some different classes and try for some epic runs for legendary runes. I need to beef up a bit more to get my ranger over the hump.

Is it known how many levels you need to gain in a single run to get a legendary rune, or is that a secret?

15. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    It's somewhat random, and the exact formulas don't seem to be public.

16. blackbear219

Dec 20, 2012
    Yea, I just scored #23 all time on the marathon warrior leaderboard and no rune :(

17. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I was wondering if there's any way to reset a character's starting level. I hit a wall with my (starting) level 18 Ranger and started a new Ranger at level 1 in a second slot. I then decided to delete the 18 to focus on starting afresh...

So then the first time I died with the existing (starting) level 1 Ranger, it gave me the option to create a new one starting at level 18 but with the weak artifacts gathered from the last game. So, can I somehow reset the Ranger's inheritance data so that if I die on like level 10, my next Ranger will start at level 7?

Hope this all isn't too incoherent. Thanks in advance for any info.

18. What level did you die? If you were full in the awarded rune type you will get some extra gold instead of a rune.

That totally makes sense.

Unfortunately there's no way to reset the legacy level atm. The best advice I could give you is to use another class instead.

In retrospect I'd have done the legacy system to work in a lifeline kind of way where each death creates or continues a "family" where each has it's properties (Class, minimum level, banked equipment, gold, etc.). So when you start a game you can create a new legacy or choose one that is already in progress and continue from there.

It's a bit tough to do so in Dungeon Plunder as it's quite a change in data structures/interface but something I'll consider for it's sequel and my other upcoming game.

I'll also revise the 18-20 for each classes for the next update and do some adjustment if necessary.

19. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    OK, thanks for the reply. This has probably already been asked before, but if I delete and reinstall the game while using the iCloud feature, can I save or carry over my runes? Not a big deal either way.

20. Yes your runes and starting levels will be synchronized whenever you'll hit the iCloud sync on that clean copy. You can also recover your iAP purchases (if you have any) by using the Restore Purchases button in the Shop.

The characters will not be transfered however.

Same deal if you purchase a new iOS device : press the cloud button on it and you'll be good to go as long as you use the same iTunes account on it.